To Stand or not to Stand

kota

I always love the debates on this forum about this.

A browns fan was kicked out for excessive standing. Reading the article below i get the impression that he is most likely a jerk about it when asked to sit down.

Thoughts?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Browns-fan-kicked-out-of-seat-for-standing-too-m?urn=nfl-wp8241

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We're only hearing one side of the story so who knows what's really going on in Cleveland, but in any event the author hits the nail on the head here:

But the decision to stand or sit is a collective one made by the crowd. If the people behind you aren't standing and aren't taking cues from you to stand, you're a jerk if you keep doing it.

People who insist on standing when everyone else is sitting, or B word about it when everyone stands, are selfish douchebags and I have no sympathy for whatever comes their way as a result.

Edited by KD in CT

We're only hearing one side of the story so who knows what's really going on in Cleveland, but in any event the author hits the nail on the head here:

People who insist on standing when everyone else is sitting, or B word about it when everyone stands, are selfish douchebags and I have no sympathy for whatever comes their way as a result.

There has to be more to this story

I have season tickets in the first row of the upper deck so I don't have to have some idiot standing up in from of me when nobody else is standing. Standing is fine when there is reason to stand, but many people will stand just to be jerks and because they want the satisfaction of knowing that they have annoyed somebody. The stadium is filled with inconsiderate morons. If nobody else is standing, sit down. If somebody politely asks you to sit down and nobody is standing in front of you, sit down. Be considerate of others. Standing the whole game is not a badge of courage or something. Stand when the action of the game demands it, otherwise sit down and let everyone around you enjoy the game.

Standing the entire game? Not good.

Standing in anticipation of a particularly big play? Absolutely.

I have season tickets in the first row of the upper deck so I don't have to have some idiot standing up in from of me when nobody else is standing. Standing is fine when there is reason to stand, but many people will stand just to be jerks and because they want the satisfaction of knowing that they have annoyed somebody. The stadium is filled with inconsiderate morons. If nobody else is standing, sit down. If somebody politely asks you to sit down and nobody is standing in front of you, sit down. Be considerate of others. Standing the whole game is not a badge of courage or something. Stand when the action of the game demands it, otherwise sit down and let everyone around you enjoy the game.

These two posts sum it up perfectly.

Cue someone coming in to say they can be "much louder" when they are standing... :rolleyes:

You just hit the nail on the head.

I'm in the 1st row of the 2nd tier of the endzone. Nobody is in front of me & I prefer to sit.

However, when the people in the row behind me start banging on the backs of our seats & I'm getting vibrated, I stand up. Now last week the people behind me were already standing, but if someone ever told me to sit down, my answer would be- When your row stops banging on the back of our seats & bangs on their own seatbacks, I won't need to stand.

This should be posted in the front of every stadium, track, and field in the country.

Personally, I stand from time to time. But I wish everyone would just sit down. I get excited sometimes and stand up in the middle of a play or during a kickoff (certainly the opening) but I would gladly just sit down and have everyone sit down. That said the Buffalo leap would look lame if everyone sat down.

Its not a problem until someone does it in front of you the entire game, even at the meaningless times . . . it can be incredibly annoying.

But worse, last season my wife and I went to a game at the ralph with some friends, they brought their 10 year old son . . . some idiot near us (loudly, of course), had to use the f-bomb for very part of the sentence structure every time he opened his mouth--which was often. And, he had to stand up many time to do it. In my opinion, these are the people that should be removed, he made it terribly uncomfortable for everyone around him.

It's not necessarily about football. Some, of course, do it to get noticed, for better or worse. They have little else going for them. It's like the jerks who talk loudly on their cells in public places. I love it when they continually try to impress you with "I told him to do" whatever. In any case, the Bills will hopefully keep people standing for football reasons.

This is as well-put as anything I have heard or read to date. If you go to the game expecting or demanding to sit the whole time, stay home. There are certain venues like football games, rock concerts, etc., where an expectation of sitting for the entire event simply cannot be defended.

So if the entire stadium is standing, and you're yelling for people to sit down, shut your pie hole and stand like everyone else.

Conversely, if you stand the entire game when everyone else is sitting, you're an imbecile with no respect for others. Stay home, moron. Or stand there and get pelted with debris (justifiably so).

At the end of the day, there is a gray area here. I was at the game in the lower bowl, and everyone was standing for the entire second half. I took breaks by sitting during the extended commercial time-outs. However, during the first half, there were periods when the whole section was sitting because we were bummed out (down 21-0). GO WITH THE FLOW, YOU KNOW?

Edited by Stormin Norman

All,

This was discussed this morning on WGR and here is the link to a Cleveland fan that was kicked out of game last week due too "excessive" standing.

My link

My thoughts...

I have been going to games since 1989. I feel standing is out of hand at the Ralph. Every year I feel like I am using my seat less, in fact the next stadium probably doesn't need seats at all! I was at the last two games and the Pats game felt a little too much standing was going on in the earlier part of the game (Down 21 to nothing). I know I sound like a buzzkill/not a true fan but I was with my 67 year old father and he did not like feeling like standing on a 2nd and 4 at the Patriots 40 while Brady had the ball in the 3rd quarter.

We had two Canadian fans wearing Lynch jerseys that felt the need to announce to the section that we should stand for every down, ugh!

It all starts with the first row, if they stand the guy behind stands and so forth, like a bad chain reaction.

I do stand, here are my rules.

1) First opening drives for both teams.

2) All opposing offense's 3rd and 4th downs.

4) Celebrating touchdowns or big plays.

There is nothing worst then standing for an obvious 2-5 yard running play.

My dad is exnavy and he said it perfectly, "What the hell is this Army/Navy game?

Fire away you all!!!!