WSJ: Buffalo's secret is a stampede

Scrappy

WSJ link

Guys, we're getting press 2 days in a row from the WSJ.

WSJ is probably one of the best papers there is out there (besides the now defunct Courier Express), so I consider acknowledgement from them an accomplishment in itself.

tony gonzales didn't catch a long td pass for tampa bay and stevie johnson isn't small, but the main thrust of the article is good. nice to see gailey getting some recognition.

tony gonzales didn't catch a long td pass for tampa bay and stevie johnson isn't small, but the main thrust of the article is good. nice to see gailey getting some recognition.

From the WSJ none the less, this is the premier paper in the world. If they write something business wise, it's pretty much a lock.

From the WSJ none the less, this is the premier paper in the world. If they write something business wise, it's pretty much a lock.

they are one of the standard business papers for sure, but they certainly are not a lock, they along with many others had the financial meltdown all wrong.

why do they couch our success by saying we copied the Pats??? spread offensive was around long before Hoodie.

Nonetheless, the strategy does have advantages for a team like the Bills that may not have the most gifted athletes. The receivers have to be good route runners and have good hands, but aren't required to be big or unusually fast. The quarterbacks have to throw the ball quicker in the offense, which means subpar offensive lines don't have to block as long.

This is a main reason why the nix and gailey did not share the concerns of the media/fans prior to the season - they had a system and a plan and knew what personnel fit

they are one of the standard business papers for sure, but they certainly are not a lock, they along with many others had the financial meltdown all wrong.

why do they couch our success by saying we copied the Pats??? spread offensive was around long before Hoodie.

They said it was debateable & that everyone has their own take on how to improve on offense. Reality of the matter is the execution is harder than the theory of running it, which really needed to be added to this story.

WSJ link

WSJ is probably one of the best papers there is out there (besides the now defunct Courier Express), so I consider acknowledgement from them an accomplishment in itself.

Thanks for the link scrappy .. this really shows the genius of Gailey and helps to explain why a bunch of no name receivers have been so good. It will be interesting to see in the "cat and mouse" NFL what defenses do to combat this scheme. At some point Gailey will have to make adjustments but for now this is really fun.

WSJ link

Interesting article. I think it misses the size of some of our receivers *cough* Nelson *cough* but interesting insight

Did he seriously suggest that the Bills' offense is (almost) cheating?

It's clear that the Buffalo Bills haven't just stolen that part of Belichick's playbook, they've made it their offensive strategy.

Thanks for the link scrappy .. this really shows the genius of Gailey and helps to explain why a bunch of no name receivers have been so good. It will be interesting to see in the "cat and mouse" NFL what defenses do to combat this scheme. At some point Gailey will have to make adjustments but for now this is really fun.

You're welcome. I happen to get the WSJ everyday & my wife said look another Bills article today, I was like is this online ?? Little different source from a great writer.

I really like the comment page.

John Strauss wrote:

The Bills can't even win legally. They have to steal from the Patriots playbook. I guess that will happen when you don't have competent enough coaches to come up with your own gameplan. You have to steal someone else's.

I'm kinda tempted to sign up on that website just to point out spygate to him.

John Strauss wrote:

The Bills can't even win legally. They have to steal from the Patriots playbook. I guess that will happen when you don't have competent enough coaches to come up with your own gameplan. You have to steal someone else's.

I think we should all sign up & represent Bills nation on there, the writer will probably look for the responses.

Good article, though it does ignore the history that Chan has in the spread offense (maybe someone should explain that to the Pats fan in the comments)...

Still, It's nice to see the Bills on the "innovative" end of things for once, who would have thought THAT when Chan was hired? Can we find that thread doubting Chan's ability to design an offense? :D

Edited by Heitz

Good article, though it does ignore the history that Chan has in the spread offense (maybe someone should explain that to the Pats fan in the comments)...

Still, It's nice to see the Bills on the "innovative" end of things for once, who would have thought THAT when Chan was hired? Can we find that thread doubting Chan's ability to design an offense? :D

True enough.

John Strauss wrote:

Don't worry about it. A Jets fan already brought it up:

This is not illegal. I like what your wearing because it makes you look cool. So I buy the same clothes to mimic you. NOT Illegal. I'm a Jets Fan. And you shouldn't talk if your a patriots fan.. SPYGATE LOL

WSJ link

Dang, their giving away our secret . . . if the Bills fall back to earth this season, we'll know exactly who to blame :ph34r:

Edited by CSBill

Eventually some good defensive team will figure out how to play the Bills. But Fitz and Chan the difference maker. Just like Brady, a good QB, and team, who executes with precision can still win out.

PTR

We're likely to improve as well, with continued practice / play. That is another factor to weigh in, opposing defenses will have to make adjustments for.