What's the Difference between 2008 and 2011?

Sniper

As Bills Nation bathes in the jubilation of ending the 8 year old losing streak to the Patriots, an intriguing statistic becomes relevant to Buffalo. The stat: NFL teams have a 76% to be playoff bound after going 3-0 (with significant increases with each win thereafter). With this in mind, we are both statistically in an excellent position to make the playoffs and gravely reminded that in 2008, we were a part of the 24%. Since 2008 is far too recent for any us to forget, the natural question that refuses to go away for most (non-bandwagon) fans is, what’s the difference between this 3-0 2011 team compared to our 4-0 and 5-1 2008 squad?

Edited by SDS

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Bills Nation bathes in the jubilation of ending the 8 year old losing streak to the Patriots, an intriguing statistic becomes relevant to Buffalo. The stat: NFL teams have a 76% to be playoff bound after going 3-0 (with significant increases with each win thereafter). With this in mind, we are both statistically in an excellent position to make the playoffs and gravely reminded that in 2008, we were a part of the 24%. Since 2008 is far too recent for any us to forget, the natural question that refuses to go away for most (non-bandwagon) fans is, what’s the difference between this 3-0 2011 team compared to our 4-0 and 5-1 2008 squad?

I thougjt all you guys climbed back in your holes after that game

The difference is that this team is way better. First off this team came back from 21 down to beat the Patriots. This team has many different players and coaches, and has shown explosiveness on offense going back to last season. In 2008 I NEVER bought in.

Some here are too beaten down to recognize the difference between these Bills teams. They feel they have acquired wisdom that allows them to "keep things in perspective". I'm not impressed by guys that can look back in hindsight to proclaim "this is a good team" at the end of the year. Plenty of guys seemed to "know" that "Fitz isn't a franchise QB", "they are going nowhere with this O-line" etc, BEFORE the season started.. How about showing some foresight and some real insight into NFL football by going out on a limb and assessing the Bills future?

I'm willing to wager that these Bills will win 10 games, any takers?

Edited by SDS

The difference is that this team is way better. First off this team came back from 21 down to beat the Patriots. This team has many different players and coaches, and has shown explosiveness on offense going back to last season. In 2008 I NEVER bought in.

Some here are too beaten down to recognize the difference between these Bills teams. They feel they have acquired wisdom that allows them to "keep things in perspective". I'm not impressed by guys that can look back in hindsight to proclaim "this is a good team" at the end of the year. Plenty of guys seemed to "know" that "Fitz isn't a franchise QB", "they are going nowhere with this O-line" etc, BEFORE the season started.. How about showing some foresight and some real insight into NFL football by going out on a limb and assessing the Bills future?

I'm willing to wager that these Bills will win 10 games, any takers?

Uhhhh yeah I will take the over on that, pretty sure the senator will as well

There are a ton of differences between '08 & '11. As someone else mentioned earlier one of the biggest is no Dick !@#$ing Jauron. Another big one is having a front office with a plan that follows the plan.

That combination leads to many of the other differences.

As Bills Nation bathes in the jubilation of ending the 8 year old losing streak to the Patriots, an intriguing statistic becomes relevant to Buffalo. The stat: NFL teams have a 76% to be playoff bound after going 3-0 (with significant increases with each win thereafter). With this in mind, we are both statistically in an excellent position to make the playoffs and gravely reminded that in 2008, we were a part of the 24%. Since 2008 is far too recent for any us to forget, the natural question that refuses to go away for most (non-bandwagon) fans is, what's the difference between this 3-0 2011 team compared to our 4-0 and 5-1 2008 squad?

Swagger At no point during that brief '08 winning streak could I really say that team had it. In retrospect it seems obvious that a team lead by Dick Jauron would be lacking in this department, but at the time it was much harder to sense at the time

Only if you were completely devoid of all senses. I thought it was pretty blatant the team had no real identity.

Quarterback ... I believe (the concussion) killed Trent's career, sending him on a downward spiral of "checkdownism". He came back tentative, scared, unsure, and lacking a winning mentality.

:wallbash:

Here's all you need to know about Trent's "career":

Quality of Wins We were squeaking away wins against bad teams.

Question: How does a QB become " tentative, scared, unsure, and lacking a winning mentality" when all he's done prior is lead the team to "squeaking away wins against bad teams"?

Answer: He doesn't become "tentative, scared, unsure, and lacking a winning mentality" simply because he already was "tentative, scared, unsure, and lacking a winning mentality".

Coaching .... When was the last time you noticed our coaching staff make half time adjustments successfully?

:doh:

Half time adjustments - a myth that keeps getting repeated like it's a fact.

Coaching ... (W)hat a great idea to keep Ryan Fitzpatrick in a spread formation. This neutralizes the fact that our offensive line is considered average.

No, it does not. This right up there with people who wanted to believe that running the no huddle would help a young, inexperienced line.

What helps to neutralize our "average" line is a decisive QB that gets rid of the ball quickly.

Simply put, the less time the ball is in the hands of the QB = the less time the Oline has to pass block.

I think people forget how fired up we were at 4-0 and 5-1. I remember walking out of that San Diego win and myself and everybody was convinced that that was a "statement win."

That, along with the '75 season, are the biggest WTF happened in Bills history. I hope to God this isn't another of those. In the meantime, I'll enjoy it just like I did those other years.

I think people forget how fired up we were at 4-0 and 5-1. I remember walking out of that San Diego win and myself and everybody was convinced that that was a "statement win."

That, along with the '75 season, are the biggest WTF happened in Bills history. I hope to God this isn't another of those. In the meantime, I'll enjoy it just like I did those other years.

Wide right? Music city miracle?

I'm glad everyone agrees with the post. I always appreciate a good conversation with knowledgeable Bills fan base.

In all seriousness the biggest difference is that DJ relied on the D to get a late Turnover and win by a FG. Chan is going to try to outscore you, and when weve outscored ya were gonna score some more. I also doubt this team will ever become complacent. Chan expects to win, DJ hoped to hang around and win.

Teams take on the attitude of their leaders. Belicheck is all business and whines when it doesnt work out, not unlike Marsha or Welker. Tomlin is a hard nosed defensive guru, the stillers hit you hard. Hoping to win VS Expecting to win. HUGE Difference