What's the Difference between 2008 and 2011?

Sniper

Wide right? Music city miracle?

I meant to say WTF happened seasons.

Although it may still apply. Wide right and Miracle - we know what happened. Those seasons - it was how could a team look so great and then just crumble.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference is that this team is way better. First off this team came back from 21 down to beat the Patriots. This team has many different players and coaches, and has shown explosiveness on offense going back to last season. In 2008 I NEVER bought in.

Some here are too beaten down to recognize the difference between these Bills teams. They feel they have acquired wisdom that allows them to "keep things in perspective". I'm not impressed by guys that can look back in hindsight to proclaim "this is a good team" at the end of the year. Plenty of guys seemed to "know" that "Fitz isn't a franchise QB", "they are going nowhere with this O-line" etc, BEFORE the season started.. How about showing some foresight and some real insight into NFL football by going out on a limb and assessing the Bills future?

I'm willing to wager that these Bills will win 10 games, any takers?

AMEN BROTHER

The quality of the opponents.

Everyone is dismissing our win at Kansas City. But they are the defending AFC West Champs and were 7-1 at home last year.

No one outside of Buffalo wants to concede that maybe that was a quality victory which started the Chiefs slide.

To the OP, here's the most salient fact… in 2008:

"the teams the Bills beat to start that season reveals that that hopeful 4-0 start was essentially a mirage. Those Bills beat Seattle, Jacksonville, Oakland and St. Louis–four teams that went a combined 16-48 that year with none winning more than five games."

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/26/for-bills-fans-now-more-than-a-glimmer-of-hope/

Everyone is dismissing our win at Kansas City. But they are the defending AFC West Champs and were 7-1 at home last year.

No one outside of Buffalo wants to concede that maybe that was a quality victory which started the Chiefs slide.

"the teams the Bills beat to start that season reveals that that hopeful 4-0 start was essentially a mirage. Those Bills beat Seattle, Jacksonville, Oakland and St. Louis–four teams that went a combined 16-48 that year with none winning more than five games."

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/26/for-bills-fans-now-more-than-a-glimmer-of-hope/

Yes sir!

These two years don't even feel the same

Seattle was the defending NFC West Champ in 2008. Who was to know when we were 4-0 and 5-1 that the teams we played would go 16-48 that year.

I hope this year is different, but everybody I know, including me, was just as pumped in 2008. It's hard for me to believe that all these posters on this thread were not as well.

The difference is that this team is way better. First off this team came back from 21 down to beat the Patriots. This team has many different players and coaches, and has shown explosiveness on offense going back to last season. In 2008 I NEVER bought in.

Some here are too beaten down to recognize the difference between these Bills teams. They feel they have acquired wisdom that allows them to "keep things in perspective". I'm not impressed by guys that can look back in hindsight to proclaim "this is a good team" at the end of the year. Plenty of guys seemed to "know" that "Fitz isn't a franchise QB", "they are going nowhere with this O-line" etc, BEFORE the season started.. How about showing some foresight and some real insight into NFL football by going out on a limb and assessing the Bills future?

I'm willing to wager that these Bills will win 10 games, any takers?

Bump.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Seattle was the defending NFC West Champ in 2008. Who was to know when we were 4-0 and 5-1 that the teams we played would go 16-48 that year.

I hope this year is different, but everybody I know, including me, was just as pumped in 2008. It's hard for me to believe that all these posters on this thread were not as well.

Oddly enough, I actually really started to believe after we rebounded from the Arizona loss and whupped San Diego at home. Trent was masterful in that game.

The win against Seattle in 2008 was somewhat analogous to our season opener against KC this year… defending division champs the year before.

However unlike our 2008 opponents, I'd bet that the CHEATING BASTARDS*** and Oakland will combine for more than 16 wins this year.

Bump.

Considering that they're 3-0, I don't think that predicting 10 wins is going out on a limb.

I didn't expect 10 wins before the season began although I thought is was the high end of the range.

At this point I would say 10 wins is easily within reach.

But again, I don't think that's a big deal at this point… winning 7 of their last 13.

We were starving for a winner in 2008. I was absolutely excited. I am more proud of this team though b/c they are a no name, blue collar team that never quits and came back from 21 down vs Brady. Never woulda happened with Trent & Dick.

Also, that '08 team came outta nowhere. This team learned a lot last year by taking so many good teams to the wire. They showed us hope last year. I didn't except 3-0, but I knew they would be a GOOD team.

Lotta season left. The snow hasn't even hit yet!

Oddly enough, I actually really started to believe after we rebounded from the Arizona loss and whupped San Diego at home. Trent was masterful in that game.

Yup, that was the "statement game" where we knew they were for real!

The win against Seattle in 2008 was somewhat analogous to our season opener against KC this year… defending division champs the year before.

However unlike our 2008 opponents, I'd bet that the CHEATING BASTARDS*** and Oakland will combine for more than 16 wins this year.

Considering that they're 3-0, I don't think that predicting 10 wins is going out on a limb.

I didn't expect 10 wins before the season began although I thought is was the high end of the range.

At this point I would say 10 wins is easily within reach.

But again, I don't think that's a big deal at this point… winning 7 of their last 13.

I don't think it is either, but there are people on this board comparing them to the 2008 team.

Have you been reading this forum? All year long we exchange opinions and analysis. "Chan blows", "draft sucked", "no business drafting that guy", "tell me what Chan has REALLY done to improve this team", "DJ had them at 9-7" etc.

Or "They aren't better until they win more than last year".

No,they are better NOW, and I'm ready to put my money where my mouth is.

I don't think the Pats are winning less than 5...hell, the three teams we beat already have a combined 4 wins and one will have another next week.

Didn't Kawika have a huge INT late in that game. I forgot how fun that time was. Lotta Jim Rome luv back then too!

Exactly. Rome kept saying that when the NFL is a better league when the Bills are good.......He had Lee Evans on right after that SD game where all the power went off, and they were playing without a scoreboard, etc. Rome will still play that back because he cracked a joke about it and Lee didn't laugh whatsoever. So, Rome will play crickets with it, and brag how funny Lee Evans thinks he is.

Through 3 games:

6 TD's scored (3 pass 3 rush)* (not counting Moorman to Denney fake FG)

5 turnovers forced

13 TDs scored

9 turnovers forced

*By year's end the number of passing TDs scored would total a whopping 13 (11 for Trent, 2 for JP)

Fitz already has 9.

Which leads me to another point: JP !@#$ing Losman was on our team in 2008.

Not only was Seattle NFC West Champs, they won a playoff game in 2007. We also beat Jacksonville that year and they were in the AFC Championship game the year before. We beat the Raiders and they were highly touted going into that year like they were this year. Maybe they turned out bad, but at the time they were HUGE wins. We also beat San Diego who went to the playoffs in 2008.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but all we've won so far is the assurance that we won't have a 2 win or less season this year. There have been even more epic melt downs by much better teams over the years. In 1985 the Cowboys were 6-2 at mid season playing against the eventual SB Champ Giants, who they had already beaten once, with a lead. Then Danny White got hurt and was out for the season, the Cowboys lost and ended up 7-9 that year.

I LOVE the way this team is playing. But let's just take it one week at a time.

Differences I see is a much better QB and offensive coach. Coach Gailey understands that the team that scores the most points wins as opposed to the team that makes the fewest mistakes. We are scoring points like there is not tomorrow. We're also giving them up that way. Early on in 2008 we were playing very aggressive defensively with good results. Once we got up to 5-1 DJ crawled into a shell and told Perry to call off the dogs and "keep everything in front of us." I don't see Coach Gailey calling off any dogs this year.

This has been a fun season so far.

Go BILLS !!!

Edited by reddogblitz

I don't think it is either, but there are people on this board comparing them to the 2008 team.

Have you been reading this forum? All year long we exchange opinions and analysis. "Chan blows", "draft sucked", "no business drafting that guy", "tell me what Chan has REALLY done to improve this team", "DJ had them at 9-7" etc.

Or "They aren't better until they win more than last year".

No,they are better NOW, and I'm ready to put my money where my mouth is.

I lyke u boi