What's the Difference between 2008 and 2011?

Sniper

What's the Difference between 2008 and 2011? Those were 2 different teams. Completely different. 2011 is a much better team. They already beat 3 teams that were supposed to beat us, so that's a start. In 2008, we beat weak teams. A weak Seattle,Oakland, St. Louis & Jacksonville Team.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from the 2008 comparison, the question is really, "Do you think this team is a real playoff contender or not?" I believe they are.

Howie Long went out on a limb and said, "The Bills are for real" and he actually has (at least a little bit) to lose. Plenty of "sports analysts have come out "yay or nay" on the Bills. It isn't too much to ask that question of the posters of this board."It's too early to tell" after an offseason of complaining about the teams direction is a cop out.

Woah there hoss. Just because I'm not in the business of predicting the future without a significant amount of data, doesn't make me smug. I'm not betting anything.

I *feel* like this team is going in the right direction, but I'm not going to claim, factually, that this team *is* better than the 2008 team until we *prove* it.

You're a compelling poster, and I'm on the edge of my seat for your hindsight analysis. Thank you for your time.

Give me a break. I was at that game and the Bills played well and looked AWESOME. We roughed 'em on all 3 phases of the game. Offense/Defense/Kicking Teams. The thing that really impressed me in that game was after we recovered fumbled KO on 30, Trent comes in and on first play throws a strike to I think it was Roscoe in the EZ. Go for the jugular. Make 'em pay. Defense was also really good in that game with a lot of aggressiveness and blitzing.

We all know how 2008 ended up, but there is really no reason to put down the good things that team did early in the season.

+1, that team looked like it had turned the corner. At 4-0/5-1, I was stoked and thought we were going to the playoffs. We look great, why don't we be happy that we're 3-0 and WAIT to see if we can continue it before declaring what we're capable of. That being said, the Senator has been the most accurate so far.

The difference between 2008 and 2011? Besides 3 years. I am not so sure that the talent is that much better if at all to be honest, but I think the attitude is much better. Although, if one thing worries me about this team, isn't while we are winning, which brings positive energy and attitude with it, I worry a little about how this team will react if it loses two games in a row. In 2008, nobody can deny that there was probably just as much excitement as this year, they were the last undefeated team in the NFL at the time. Once a couple losses came though, it seemed to all roll down hill. I think this year can be different, as I am not expecting this team to win 14 games, but I think Gailey and staff might be better at keeping the moral up after a few losses then Stone Faced Jauron and his staff did. That team in 2008, probably had as much talent as this team, or awful close at least, they never lost a game by more then 13 points. The second half of the season though, 13 points seemed like a ton of points as it seemed that team didn't think they could win once the losses caught up with the early season wins.

The difference between 2008 and 2011? Besides 3 years. I am not so sure that the talent is that much better if at all to be honest, but I think the attitude is much better. Although, if one thing worries me about this team, isn't while we are winning, which brings positive energy and attitude with it, I worry a little about how this team will react if it loses two games in a row. In 2008, nobody can deny that there was probably just as much excitement as this year, they were the last undefeated team in the NFL at the time. Once a couple losses came though, it seemed to all roll down hill. I think this year can be different, as I am not expecting this team to win 14 games, but I think Gailey and staff might be better at keeping the moral up after a few losses then Stone Faced Jauron and his staff did. That team in 2008, probably had as much talent as this team, or awful close at least, they never lost a game by more then 13 points. The second half of the season though, 13 points seemed like a ton of points as it seemed that team didn't think they could win once the losses caught up with the early season wins.

I think the point is Chan is more of an offensive coach, and gets even more out of offense, than DJ did his defense.

The difference is that this team is way better. First off this team came back from 21 down to beat the Patriots. This team has many different players and coaches, and has shown explosiveness on offense going back to last season. In 2008 I NEVER bought in.

Some here are too beaten down to recognize the difference between these Bills teams. They feel they have acquired wisdom that allows them to "keep things in perspective". I'm not impressed by guys that can look back in hindsight to proclaim "this is a good team" at the end of the year. Plenty of guys seemed to "know" that "Fitz isn't a franchise QB", "they are going nowhere with this O-line" etc, BEFORE the season started.. How about showing some foresight and some real insight into NFL football by going out on a limb and assessing the Bills future?

I'm willing to wager that these Bills will win 10 games, any takers?

At this point, I'd say winning 11 is possible. If the D can keep people from scoring on us (our points against is terrible, KC excluded) I like the odds to win 11. We'll see how good the D really is against Cincy. The Raiders shredded the Jets D, and we all know how good the Patsys are on offense. So perhaps the last 2 weeks are not a real indicator of our D, and at any rate they did what was needed to win. But, sometimes the game will go the other way when you let teams score that much, even good ones. (what if Hernedez (sp) played for example?) If the D improves its points against and gets some more pass rush, this team can make the super bowl. Am I crazy, perhaps, people here in Pgh did look at me like I was crazy when I said we'd beat the Pats, but really who is better in the AFC right now? The Pats? But if the D improves we can score on them so we win again. The Raiders? same. The Jets always collapse somehow. The Ravens? I think we score on them, and their offense is not enought to keep pace. The Steelers have no one to protect Ben, and their D is playing old.

I think we get better throught the year. This team can really go far if the D can keep the other teams from scoring. Also, Fred is only getting around 15 carries a game, perhaps get him and White and Spiller involved more to keep the other teams off the field. Our RB's have a rediculous YPC average!

I could be wrong, but wasn't 2008 the year Edwards got a concussion and went from a good QB to Captain Check-Down?

Give me a break. I was at that game and the Bills played well and looked AWESOME. We roughed 'em on all 3 phases of the game. Offense/Defense/Kicking Teams. The thing that really impressed me in that game was after we recovered fumbled KO on 30, Trent comes in and on first play throws a strike to I think it was Roscoe in the EZ. Go for the jugular. Make 'em pay. Defense was also really good in that game with a lot of aggressiveness and blitzing.

We all know how 2008 ended up, but there is really no reason to put down the good things that team did early in the season.

I'm not going to tell you your opinion at that time was wrong, but this isn't revisionist history on my part. I clearly remember being thoroughly unimpressed with the Bills' performance that game despite the final score. I'll admit I was somewhat jaded by the fact that I was never a trent edwards fan even in his rookie season and wasn't going to give the team credit until I saw him put up some 300+ yds 3 td type games and that never happened at any time during the 5-1 streak. Anyone who says they know for sure now or knew for sure 3 years ago that this team is/isnt or was/wasn't a playoff team is wrong because its impossible to say. Week 3 of the 2007 season the Giants looked like the worst team in the NFL and they won the super bowl. However, we are seeing things out of the offense right now that we haven't seen in a long, long time, the same can't be said about the start of the '08 season.

I remember "analyts" on NFL Channel and ESPN saying the Bills were for real in 2008.

Ugh. That's not my point.

The point is that many people here are hemming and hawing about the team, when they could just give a real opinion.

Do you !@#$ing think they are the real thing or not?

"I don't know" isn't an opinion. "I will tell you after they make the playoffs" is worse. Half the people are posting "why are you asking if they are better? They are obviously better", and others are saying "there no possible way to know".

People criticize the team all off season, yet now they suddenly have no real opinion

Edited by Matthews' Bag

The Bills got half a seasons worth of breaks Sunday. INT TD off Dareus' helmet? Are you kidding? You won't see that the rest of your life. Fitz drive killer stupid INT pass so badly thrown PI is called 10 yards behind the ball- in the end zone to boot. Come on. Won't see that the rest of the year in the end zone. anywhere. There's two TDs right there that never should have happened. Freddy amazingly down at the 1 so the Bills can run the clock out. I have never, ever seen that before that way. Unbelievable. I'll take it all day, but still unbelievably fortunate.

I can't stand them, but Brady, Welker and Gronk. carved the Bills up. From Scrimmage the Pats won. Bills win the turnover / breaks battle hands down and barely squeak it out. One of these weeks, the breaks/injury/turnover battle is going to go the other way and we will get pounded. Just like it did week 5 in Arizona in 2008. CAn we just sit back, let 8 games play out and see where we are then? Please?

I actually kind of agree with you. We've had some breaks. We could easily be 1-2 now. I was merely saying I never had much faith in the 2008 team. The 2011 team still concerns me. The defense, particularly, has some problems that need to be solves. But I have more faith in this Head Coach than I had in DJ. And while the 2008 players were probably scrappier than some of us remember, I think this team has more fight in it. So, though not yet convinced, I feel better about this team than I did about the 2008 team. We'll see.

Did my post make any comparison at all between Fitz and Edwards? No it didn't, so you must be the one who is !@#&ing blind! Or perhaps just struggle with reading comprehension... The ONLY correlation I made between the two teams was the offensive lines!

MY POST

Since you brought it up tho, look at the difference between coaching staffs. You want to compare Turk Schonert to Chan Gailey? Schonert is the one who was calling plays back in 08, setting up the offense and game plans. Where is that fool now? Not even in the NFL in any capacity, that's where!

Nobody stated that Edwards was as good as Fitz, all I did was merely pointing out that Fitz could very well turn into another Trent Edwards because just like all the coaching staffs in the past, this one failed to upgrade that line.What you saw at the end of Edwards career in Buffalo was the result of all those hits and concussions, which is exactly something that could happen to Fitz!

But I suppose you missed the entire point ! 0:)

BTW, It wasn't just one concussion or one injury, it was the cumulative effect of all the hits and concussions. Those same type of hits also ended Joe Montana's-Troy Aikman's -Steve Young's and so many others careers

No, you did compare them (Trent was never good. It wasn't the concussion. You obviously invested a lot of faith in him and don't want to admit that he blew. Fitz is way better and has already proven it). And you seemed to want to remind me that Fitz could easily end up injured, but that's a GIVEN. We ALL know that. Tom Brady could end up injured too, but no one goes around saying that "we can't tell how good they are this year, I'm not buying in because he might get injured". Plus, Fitz doesn't have a history of injury or something.