Albany Newspaper Trashes Bills Nation

Ms. Jennifer Gish

I just read your "article." All I can say is that I am a life long Bills fan, and at 25 years old, I have not seen too much success for my beloved Bills. That being said, the very word "fan" is short for "Fanatic" which is what myself and many others are when it comes to the Bills or any other team for that matter. Are we excited about being 2-0? Absolutely. Aren't you and your fan base pumped about being 2-0? Or has it gotten to be the norm that little things are no longer appreciated? When you are a fan of a team you are a fan through thick and thin. You believe in your team and you support them no matter what. Its like getting married. You love him or her for better or for worse. Just because the Bills have been admittedly awful for much of my life does not mean that I will forget about them and then come running back when they are worth watching. I have been a season ticket holder for the last three years; right out of college. They have not been good in the first two but as a "Fanatic" I am certainly hopeful this year will be different. And I was hopeful about last year and the year before that and so on.

I understand that your job is write about topics that are considered "hot", but to take shots at a fan base for being fans is just ridiculous. The Bills may not win 12 games this year, or compete with the Patriots on Sunday, but that doesn't mean fans will stop being being fans. We love our team. As I am sure you love yours. If you come to Western New York or read our papers and Blogs you will not find an "article" bashing fans of other teams. Its just not the respectable thing to do. I am not a fan of the Jets or Patriots, but I would never tell other people that they are wrong for being a fan of those teams. And don't come back at me with something like "There should be no reason to be wrong for liking those teams. They're good teams." They are now. They have not always been and and they will not always be good teams. Its just the way of the NFL and sports in general. Heck, even the Yankees miss the playoffs every once in a while.

My point is, and I am not sure you will even read this but all I can do is respond, that being a fan is one of the best things about sports. For 11 years the Bills have missed the playoffs. For as long as I can remember my Monday mood from September to January has been determined by the Bills' play on the previous Sunday. My optimism on Friday's is always a the highest level. I am a realist and realize that 10 wins this year would be extraordinary for the Bills based on our recent failures. However, as a fanatic, I expect to win every game. And each loss hurts just as much as "Wide Right" any other loss. But to be in love with my Bills is the greatest thing about each day. They are my team in my favorite sport. Im not wrong for that. Im not wrong for being optimistic. Im not wrong for believing there is a chance for us to win every game. Its what is great about sports. "Fandamonium" in Buffalo is unlike anything else. I am just sorry that you've never experienced it and that you seem to be too close minded to try it out.

And just because we play 1 game in Toronto does not take away our claim as New York's Only Team. 1 game in Toronto is better than 8 in New Jersey.

Just my response to Jenn. I sent it a few minutes ago. Not expecting to hear back from her, but, as I said, all i can do is respond.

Well said cincy

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI. Now we are getting attacked for being a little upset over her article by her blogger buddy.

http://twitter.com/#!/JustKristi

And Yes, the other thing she is talking about is breast enlargement...

It's just ridiculous! I really don't care what one woman's opinion is, but when you attack a fan base and insult them like the TU opinion column did (which is no longer an opinion column, it has become a personal attack of the fans...NOT THE TEAM (as the Kristi woman above believes)), you have to expect some lashing out.

Are the death threats warranted? by no means. Are the calls to the editor, and the letters, and what not warranted? by all means. This paper came out, and made something personal. As someone who has lived all around the state of New York (started in buffalo, moved to Carlisle when mom was getting her PhD at Albany Med, moved to Dryden/Ithaca, then Roc and Elmira), I have never seen an opinion article of that nature, nor an opinion column turn a general commentary into a personal bash fest. It's an insult to not only the fans, but to journalism altogether!

I really hope that the Bills win this weekend, and if they do, I would LOVE to see every Bills fan on this site, and other sites, and every Bills backer in Albany send this woman a nice thank you card for billieving...oh, and include a photo of the scoreboard...

What Bills fan hasn't.

People should be mindful of what they e-mail to this blogger. If the Bills lose on Sunday it's just more ammo she can use next week.

Ya' know?

I'm sorry, I should've been clearer: Seek therapy for your strange, sad anti-Albany campaign that you've been staging here for the last few years. I'm worried about you, champ!

Edited by Andrew in LA

Ms. Jennifer Gish

I just read your "article." All I can say is that I am a life long Bills fan, and at 25 years old, I have not seen too much success for my beloved Bills. That being said, the very word "fan" is short for "Fanatic" which is what myself and many others are when it comes to the Bills or any other team for that matter. Are we excited about being 2-0? Absolutely. Aren't you and your fan base pumped about being 2-0? Or has it gotten to be the norm that little things are no longer appreciated? When you are a fan of a team you are a fan through thick and thin. You believe in your team and you support them no matter what. Its like getting married. You love him or her for better or for worse. Just because the Bills have been admittedly awful for much of my life does not mean that I will forget about them and then come running back when they are worth watching. I have been a season ticket holder for the last three years; right out of college. They have not been good in the first two but as a "Fanatic" I am certainly hopeful this year will be different. And I was hopeful about last year and the year before that and so on.

I understand that your job is write about topics that are considered "hot", but to take shots at a fan base for being fans is just ridiculous. The Bills may not win 12 games this year, or compete with the Patriots on Sunday, but that doesn't mean fans will stop being being fans. We love our team. As I am sure you love yours. If you come to Western New York or read our papers and Blogs you will not find an "article" bashing fans of other teams. Its just not the respectable thing to do. I am not a fan of the Jets or Patriots, but I would never tell other people that they are wrong for being a fan of those teams. And don't come back at me with something like "There should be no reason to be wrong for liking those teams. They're good teams." They are now. They have not always been and and they will not always be good teams. Its just the way of the NFL and sports in general. Heck, even the Yankees miss the playoffs every once in a while.

My point is, and I am not sure you will even read this but all I can do is respond, that being a fan is one of the best things about sports. For 11 years the Bills have missed the playoffs. For as long as I can remember my Monday mood from September to January has been determined by the Bills' play on the previous Sunday. My optimism on Friday's is always a the highest level. I am a realist and realize that 10 wins this year would be extraordinary for the Bills based on our recent failures. However, as a fanatic, I expect to win every game. And each loss hurts just as much as "Wide Right" any other loss. But to be in love with my Bills is the greatest thing about each day. They are my team in my favorite sport. Im not wrong for that. Im not wrong for being optimistic. Im not wrong for believing there is a chance for us to win every game. Its what is great about sports. "Fandamonium" in Buffalo is unlike anything else. I am just sorry that you've never experienced it and that you seem to be too close minded to try it out.

And just because we play 1 game in Toronto does not take away our claim as New York's Only Team. 1 game in Toronto is better than 8 in New Jersey.

Just my response to Jenn. I sent it a few minutes ago. Not expecting to hear back from her, but, as I said, all i can do is respond.

:thumbsup:

Great response. This should be printed in that paper.

Mainly Jets and Giants. I would say the Bills are the 3rd team, and Pats 4th.

I miss the old days when it was Giants, Bills, Jets and Pats in popularity!

When Bill Parcells took over the Jets, they gained instant number 2 status

which I never could understand!

NOBODY circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills AND THEIR LOYAL FANS!!!!! :thumbsup:

Great responses to this condesending hack of a journalist. Thanks Jennifer but I think I can "keep things real" just fine without your poorly worded essay and/or diatribe aimed at trashing fans like myself who are passionate about their team and the sport of football. Does this trash journalism sell papers....really!?!? With newspaper subscription volume continuing on a downward spiral, when will these idiots wake up.

We used to subscribe to the Sunday Times Useless. After reading the aforementioned article, our subscription has been cancelled.

On another note, I look forward to catching some games in Albany with the Bills Backers there. We have a large contingent of Bills fans in the greater Scotia-Glenville/Burnt Hills area that meet for games and look forward to connecting with fellow fans in Albany some time.

Thanks. I was just trying to express how real fans act and behave. Not how Fair-weather fans jump on bandwagons and then jump again just as fast.

How real fans act and behave? If someone spit in your face and made fun of your grandmother where thousands of people could see, you'd just write a tame civilized letter and call it a day?

Sorry, but I'm old school like my father... I don't take crap from ANYONE and I'll call them every name in the book if they wrote that kind of stuff about my team, an 82 year old woman who deserves respect, and manipulated the representative of a Bills Backers. That's about as close as spitting in my face with words as you can get. Don't go calling me not a real fan for going the mad as hell and not taking it any more route.

How real fans act and behave? If someone spit in your face and made fun of your grandmother where thousands of people could see, you'd just write a tame civilized letter and call it a day?

Sorry, but I'm old school like my father... I don't take crap from ANYONE and I'll call them every name in the book if they wrote that kind of stuff about my team, an 82 year old woman who deserves respect, and manipulated the representative of a Bills Backers. That's about as close as spitting in my face with words as you can get. Don't go calling me not a real fan for going the mad as hell and not taking it any more route.

And she is surprised to being called the "C" word. Per her co-blogger thats uncalled for. What a idiot. People think that since this is America they can say want they want. Well you can, but it doesnt mean the rest of us cant provide some positive feedback! If you cant take it as well as you dish it missy, then shut your hole!

Imagine if your wife wrote that....Oh honey did you see my blog today....... I think I would change my name and move, tonight!

And she is surprised to being called the "C" word. Per her co-blogger thats uncalled for. What a idiot. People think that since this is America they can say want they want. Well you can, but it doesnt mean the rest of us cant provide some positive feedback! If you cant take it as well as you dish it missy, then shut your hole!

Imagine if your wife wrote that....Oh honey did you see my blog today....... I think I would change my name and move, tonight!

Unfortunately civilized behavior dictates that you supremely insult your opposition through mean spirited wit and deception, which is completely OK and you expect no anger to come full boil. I worded my response very carefully, which basically says although I am educated and well spoken, if you come at me with verbal poison knives I will kill you with my finely aimed curses. She detests being cursed at (and she ADMITS this through the article, which I noticed), and I detest her arrogance and supreme disrespect! Fight fire with fire!

Edited by BmoreBills

So many of you fed the troll, when will you ever learn? She wanted attention and you suckers fell hook, line, and sinker. She's brilliant, you're lemmings.

Big deal, someone poo-poo'd the Bills and *gasp* Bills fans. And you all so predictably got your panties in a bunch. You've been played... I wonder how much their advertisers pay for each page view..?

My blogged reply;

Ms. Gish;

Of course you will only hear from the fanatical people. The fact that they contact this "newspaper" is what defines them as fanatical. All the un-fanatical and less vocal loyal fans simply enjoy routing for the Bills. I'm not sure what happened to you in Western NY, but it has really made you bitter. While a handful of fanatics apparently upset you, you have successfully offended every Bills fan. Good thing no one really reads this rag... thanks again for reminding me why I subscribe to the Rochester D&C.

So many of you fed the troll, when will you ever learn? She wanted attention and you suckers fell hook, line, and sinker. She's brilliant, you're lemmings.

Big deal, someone poo-poo'd the Bills and *gasp* Bills fans. And you all so predictably got your panties in a bunch. You've been played... I wonder how much their advertisers pay for each page view..?

Well said Campy. :thumbsup:

Did you read the article and what she wrote though??? You don't know what she said, so you have no idea what you are talking about.

Did you read the article and what she wrote though??? You don't know what she said, so you have no idea what you are talking about.

Are you sure Bills fans in Albany didn't start this little tiff - a long time ago? And maybe the newspaper finally got fed up?

That's the impression I get from reading the article.

Why go where you're not wanted?

I am originally from the Albany area but now live in Augusta, GA. I could not ignore this woman's article, I too sent an email response:

Ms. Gish:

My name is Kim Thompson, I am originally from Troy, NY. I am a lifelong Buffalo Bills fan who now lives in Augusta, GA. I read your blog about Bills fans needing to keep it real and quite honestly, it offended me. After reading it, I was embarrassed to admit from being from the Capital Region. I understand that Buffalo is not the premiere NY team however that does not give you a right to attack a loyal fan base. I have stuck by my team through thick and thin and yes, I do like to see coverage on them. I do not think that it is inappropriate for fans to be excited that our team has started 2-0, we have had a tough decade but our fans should be commended not condemned for sticking with our team. Do we honestly think that we will beat the Patriots, probably not, but we do have a chance otherwise why even play the game? If that is the mentality that you go by then shouldn't the Giants be 2 -0? The redskins should not have beaten them but they did!

In your blog, you attacked bills fans for no reason other than for your warped enjoyment and for that I feel sorry for you and all the readers in my hometown that have to be subjected to your "journalistic efforts" or lack there of.

GO BILLS!!!!!

Edited by kande87