***The OFFICIAL I've sinned against my fanhood thread ***

Scrappy

This same thread was started last week--you couldnt flagelate yourself in that one?

I picked 6-7 wins. I'll be happy to be wrong. I'll admit I was wrong about Chan if he avoids a losing season with the talent he has around him.

Otherwise, the predictions by many about Roscoe and Easley not completing the season were dead on. Also, those concerning Merriman also seem on target so far (unless you really believe he's being triple teamed on a regular basis--and yet we still can't sack the QB).

I didn't see it & we played historic football this past Sunday with a great come from behind victory, these types of wins being so very absent for so long (any wins being absent after last year). I found it appropriate to do now & before any future disappoints that might be on the horizon.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill admit I was right.

I said they would be much better and listed reasons. I wanted fitzy in since 3 years ago and cant believe how many people wanted edwards and ripped fitz, I was banned under my old name for ripping edwards and promoting fitz in fact. Now hes the franchise qb after 2 games? ok you all said it. hes good, id still look for a good qb in the next few drafts though, maybe we could develop and trade one every year like teams did to us with RJ and Bledsoe.

Way too early for this thread. Remember last time we beat the Pats* and started 2-0, we were no. 1 in the Power Rankings, people were thinking of us in the Superbowl again. Things changed quickly that year. Started 4-1 and gave Jauron a new contract, all downhill from there. I love the way they have started, but I'm waiting until half way through the season (or maybe just beating the Patriots*) before I say anyone, including myself was wrong.

You're lumping the 2003 and 2008 seasons together. We beat the Pats* in the 2003 opener 31-0 and started that year our 2-0 but lost in Miami on Sunday night football 13-23. We then lost the following week to Philadelphia. We went into the bye week with a 4-4 record. We then finished off that clusterfudge of a season with a 2-6 2nd half record, finishing the season with a 6-12 record.

A couple of interesting stats from that year:

-Our offense led by Kevin Gilbride averaged 15.2 points/game, 30th in the league.

-Our defense led by Jerry Gray gave up 17.4 points/game, 5th in the league.

-Our takeaway/giveaway differential was -16, 31st in the league.

Our coach was Greg Williams not Jauron, he coached the 2008 team which did start out 4-1.

All that being said, it may be a bit early to be talking about playoffs but the Bills have shown us their offense has come a long way from the Jauron ball we suffered through. It was obvious to many here that this team started that last season after Fitz took over, even though our record took a step back our offense had started a major step forward. Let's hope that continues and we actually have something to smile about at the end of this season! I'm smiling now!

You're lumping the 2003 and 2008 seasons together. We beat the Pats* in the 2003 opener 31-0 and started that year our 2-0 but lost in Miami on Sunday night football 13-23. We then lost the following week to Philadelphia. We went into the bye week with a 4-4 record. We then finished off that clusterfudge of a season with a 2-6 2nd half record, finishing the season with a 6-12 record.

A couple of interesting stats from that year:

-Our offense led by Kevin Gilbride averaged 15.2 points/game, 30th in the league.

-Our defense led by Jerry Gray gave up 17.4 points/game, 5th in the league.

-Our takeaway/giveaway differential was -16, 31st in the league.

Our coach was Greg Williams not Jauron, he coached the 2008 team which did start out 4-1.

All that being said, it may be a bit early to be talking about playoffs but the Bills have shown us their offense has come a long way from the Jauron ball we suffered through. It was obvious to many here that this team started that last season after Fitz took over, even though our record took a step back our offense had started a major step forward. Let's hope that continues and we actually have something to smile about at the end of this season! I'm smiling now!

I meant it as two different years, but I can see how you read it as talking about the same year. I should have worded it better, but you get the gist.

We had a historic victory sunday & scored a TD in every possession of a half, that's pretty rare air. Another thing is that the Jets are being picked to lose against the Raiders on PFT, so there is a respect for the Bills that's coming about. All of those things equal a turn around, which is a change of direction.

You are way to early in your claim that the ship is righted. It would be fair to say it is in process. Key in mind the Bills do not have proven depth in key positions. I truly hope the Bills are in the playoff hunt towards the end of the season but until we get there we will not know what this team is made of.

I have loved Nix, Chan, Dave W. hirings from the beginning.....predicted a 9-7 season this year and a possible wild card

That said.....even though I am always a glass is half full fan there are some things that even I HAVE underestimated at least so far.

- First and foremost....Chandler the TE. I REALLY wanted Zach Thomas or Kevin Boss in the offseason and was a little weary over starting a TE that was on someone elses practice squad even if he is a clydesdale looking type human. Chandler is playing like a TE that you would draft in the 1st or 2nd round. All credit goes to Buddy Nix for finding this talent.

- Second Eric Pears. I HOPED that Pears would be adeqate but I expected some struggles from him....I thought he would give up some pressures and a sack here and there that would cause us to keep OT still on next years draft wish list. Eric Pears has been GOOD

- D. Bell.....given the mess that was going on it hte offseason I expected us to be calling for our rook OT by now and see him starting by mid season. Do folks realize that Bell has just faced Tamba Hali AND Richard Seymore and not given up a sack? Bell needs to be getting a lot more credit then he has and we need to keep him. Just keep the consistancy Demetrius.

- Urbik.....he is hurt for a few weeks but he has been SOLID this season through 2 games.....I wanted him to start going into the season....worried about him in training camp...then he turned it on going into the regular season.

I thought the O-Line would blow chunks... outside of Wood and Levitre and I was wrong.

I thought Evans meant more to our passing game than he did, and I thought Easley and Nelson were destined for greatness -

I thought Manning would be back and I took him late in my fantasy league along with Mr. Holdout Chris Johnson .... I was soooo wrong.

Jury still out on:

thought we did not have enough O-Line depth...

thought Merriman would be lights out already

thought Dareus would have completely gone Suh on a QB by now (don't get me wrong, I am happy with his run D and pressure). It would not upset me if he started with Brady.

I was wrong about Chan at his signing, which I didn't like at all, but I quickly came to like him. Liked him even when we were bad last year, and now I think he's awesome.

I didn't like the George Edwards hiring and the jury is still out on him.

I wasn't thrilled by the Nix hiring but I always kind of liked him.

I was wrong about Stevie Johnson but only to the extent that I didn't think he was playing great when others said he was great. I didn't think he was bad or had no potential, I just never saw him do things that people were giving him credit for, the same way I never saw stuff that Fans were giving Trent Edwards credit for that he rarely did. I saw SJ dropping passes and missing routes. Apparently, so did Chan Gailey when he benched him early last year. SJ proved to be very good if not great though, and now is doing those things people said he was doing, so I will say I was wrong about him.

I was wrong about Chan at his signing, which I didn't like at all, but I quickly came to like him. Liked him even when we were bad last year, and now I think he's awesome.

I didn't like the George Edwards hiring and the jury is still out on him.

I wasn't thrilled by the Nix hiring but I always kind of liked him.

I was wrong about Stevie Johnson but only to the extent that I didn't think he was playing great when others said he was great. I didn't think he was bad or had no potential, I just never saw him do things that people were giving him credit for, the same way I never saw stuff that Fans were giving Trent Edwards credit for that he rarely did. I saw SJ dropping passes and missing routes. Apparently, so did Chan Gailey when he benched him early last year. SJ proved to be very good if not great though, and now is doing those things people said he was doing, so I will say I was wrong about him.

That move SJ put on that corner or safety on sunday to get the TD was impressive.

The Bills won 2 games so far...one against a horridly bad team, and one against a not so bad team, but with a rookie HC, new OC, new DC. Plus the Raiders were missing all their starting WR's and TE. The Bills won that game on 4th down against a blown defensive coverage. The Bills defense still not very good at stopping the run despite 2 drafts almost completely dedicated to the defense

The thing I was wrong about is that Gailey actually started this year by utilizing Fred Jackson more and using good run blocking schemes, plus he is running the ball more then I thought he would.Showing good overall offensive balance. When he didn't upgrade the O line and brought in Brad Smith I thought he would constantly run college plays, "Wildcat"- Options-"pistol". Chan is also utilizing the tight end more then has shown in the past, or perhaps that is Fitz finding the big guy.

BUT! Not to pee in anyone's cheerios it has only been 2 games, even the fabulous Dick Jauron went 5-1 with Trent Edwards at QB, and finished 7-9 leading us to believe the team would improve. Its a long season and the Bills are paper thin at so many positions.I think most diehard fans who watched the games last season knew Fitz was capable, and the Bills didn't need to draft a rookie QB to take 3-4 years to develop. They also knew Jackson was capable. My problem is that O line is still very suspect and although they blocked well against the Chiefs and Raiders. Can they play well against the good teams, in the 4th QTR ...when the game is on the line ...against top players?

I looked at the Raiders O line with envious eyes and still want the Bills to be able to run against teams like the Raiders can. In my view Freddy J is going to be all used up by the end of the season, you just don't run a Jaguar on the baha....well you can, but it will just F it up. Fred should be the back up-change of pace RB and 3rd down back. Kinda like the Chiefs used Jamaal Charles last year. He would still get a ton of touches. The Bills need a Thomas Jones -Michael Bush type to soften up the opposing defense. Also, Fitz is gonna get killed at some point this year when he tries to pass and he doesn't have 3 seconds. The question is will he end up like Losman & Edwards with concussion syndrome or hearing phantom sackers ?

The thing that has changed in my mind is that Chan Gailey had his team very prepared this season, unlike last season. Plus he has shown that he really knows how to prepare his players and get them to play tough disciplined football, very few mental mistakes, something that is very important.. Something i didn't see a lot of last season.

Gailey "might" be able to compete in the AFC East "IF" he can beat the Patriots and Jets at least once. He still needs to show he can beat Rex Ryan's Jets- Bill Belichick's Patriots

So mark me down as not ready to admit I was wrong just yet