Stevie Johnson on WGR

DaveinElma

The coverage on Stevie hasn't changed because The Bills Offense has at least 3 receivers on the filed every down. I have noticed quite a bit of reporter naivete this off season, this preseason and during the week between the Chiefs / Raiders games with regards to knowledge about the Bills. And the notion of how was Stevie going to handle the double team is one of them.

Weird. Weren't all those alleged Lee Evans double and triple teams supposed to shift over to Stevie now?

Actually not quite what he said, he said he doesn't know if teams have been shifting over there, that he doesn't really read the D that way he just goes out and plays. Or something more to that extent, the guys on WGR seemed confused that he said that and planned to ask more questions about how he couldn't tell from the coverage but Stevie's phone kept hanging up.

Actually not quite what he said, he said he doesn't know if teams have been shifting over there, that he doesn't really read the D that way he just goes out and plays. Or something more to that extent, the guys on WGR seemed confused that he said that and planned to ask more questions about how he couldn't tell from the coverage but Stevie's phone kept hanging up.

He clearly reads the D because he's caught a couple of quick slants off of blitzes.

Jeremy White retweeted this from Stevie:

Ha... RT @StevieJohnson13 @Bulldogwgr BullDog i apologize for phone mishaps bro. MY phone was on track to drop more calls than i did vs Pitt

Some people in the Evans camp said that Stevie would be double covered more and some said that there would just be an extra safety covering assorted Bills and closer to the LOS because they didn't have to worry about downfield throws and putting two people on Evans. That's exactly what's happening.

The Bills, however, are not missing Evans at all right now because Gailey and Fitz are on a roll, and SJ, Nelson and Chandler are catching very well thrown balls on very well designed passes. It would be awesome for that to continue.

The Bills are hardly ever wide open though, and they haven't stretched the field to make it so. That's a simple fact. They throw very quick passes into very tight spots with all kinds of defenders all over them. It's been huge fun to watch.

Some people in the Evans camp said that Stevie would be double covered more and some said that there would just be an extra safety covering assorted Bills and closer to the LOS because they didn't have to worry about downfield throws and putting two people on Evans. That's exactly what's happening.

The Bills, however, are not missing Evans at all right now because Gailey and Fitz are on a roll, and SJ, Nelson and Chandler are catching very well thrown balls on very well designed passes. It would be awesome for that to continue.

The Bills are hardly ever wide open though, and they haven't stretched the field to make it so. That's a simple fact. They throw very quick passes into very tight spots with all kinds of defenders all over them. It's been huge fun to watch.

Shortly after the Evans trade the rally cry around here was "who the !@#$ on this misfit roster is going to replace Evans!?"

My response all along has been: nobody. The scheme will change.

Low and behold!

Shortly after the Evans trade the rally cry around here was "who the !@#$ on this misfit roster is going to replace Evans!?"

My response all along has been: nobody. The scheme will change.

Low and behold!

I don't think the scheme changed much at all. He is just not calling the plays that the WR spot that used to be Evans now occupied by Jones to be running fly patterns and deep routes. Partly because we don't have time to go deep, and partly because even we did, the safeties wouldn't worry about Jones beating them deep until he beat them deep a few times and burnt them. They didn't follow Evans because of his speed, they followed him because he had a league wide reputation for scoring on deep passes.

Gailey's using a few more spread formations (just percentage-wise, we used a ton of them last year too). He's using a few more TE formations because Chandler is better than Stupar at running patterns and making catches. I don't see much scheme change at all, although every year there will be little changes to take advantage of what certain players can do and not do.

I don't think the scheme changed much at all. He is just not calling the plays that the WR spot that used to be Evans now occupied by Jones to be running fly patterns and deep routes. Partly because we don't have time to go deep, and partly because even we did, the safeties wouldn't worry about Jones beating them deep until he beat them deep a few times and burnt them. They didn't follow Evans because of his speed, they followed him because he had a league wide reputation for scoring on deep passes.

Gailey's using a few more spread formations (just percentage-wise, we used a ton of them last year too). He's using a few more TE formations because Chandler is better than Stupar at running patterns and making catches. I don't see much scheme change at all, although every year there will be little changes to take advantage of what certain players can do and not do.

I think that's a little backwards. Gailey had the choice to keep Evans if he wanted. Evans was traded because Gailey determined that the deep ball to Evans was not part of the plan this year. More to the point, he determined that Evans was not part of the plan this year once he concluded Johnson, Jones, Nelson, Easely, etc were all better.

Even though he spoke politely of Evans in the aftermath of the trade, Gailey's comments made if fairly clear that after evaluating Evans for a year, he did not think highly of his overall WR skills. Evans basically received an elongated form of the Edwards/Lynch treatment.

Edited by SoFFacet

I think that's a little backwards. Gailey had the choice to keep Evans if he wanted. Evans was traded because Gailey determined that the deep ball to Evans was not part of the plan this year. More to the point, he determined that Evans was not part of the plan this year once he concluded Johnson, Jones, Nelson, Easely, etc were all better.

Even though he spoke politely of Evans in the aftermath of the trade, Gailey's comments made if fairly clear that after evaluating Evans for a year, he did not think highly of his overall WR skills. Evans basically received an elongated form of the Edwards/Lynch treatment.

Agreed. A couple of points: 1. while the deep ball was not a big part of the game against Oakland they did take some shots down the field against KC and were successful. It is a myth that the Bills cannot go deep without Evans. 2. A look at the winning touchdown against Oakland, or any number of other plays during the game, would tell you why Evans was not valued. the versatility in the offense is predicated upon the wide receivers being capable of playing a number of roles based on the situation. It was plainly obvious last year Evan did not fit this scheme. I hope he does well in Baltimore - I always liked Evans - but he was a non- factor in this offense and would continue to be.

Since being traded to the Ravens, Lee Evans has changed the whole dynamic . . . of the Buffalo Bills and the AFC East. Now each of our receivers is willing to run all of the patterns and not just the go route. This has confused opposing DBs to no end.

Since being traded to the Ravens, Lee Evans has changed the whole dynamic . . . of the Buffalo Bills and the AFC East. Now each of our receivers is willing to run all of the patterns and not just the go route. This has confused opposing DBs to no end.

More truth... and it is awesome!!!!

Want to know what I see has changed....when the camera pans upfield you see RECEIVERS BLOCKING

This is the most salient point in the entire thread. Blocking will never be a Lee Evans strong suit. But it's absolutely essential to a consistent running game. Just another thing that Gailey and Co. can point at in their decision to trade him.

GO BILLS!!!

Weird. Weren't all those alleged Lee Evans double and triple teams supposed to shift over to Stevie now?

Please stop this nonsense and immediately pay homage to Simon's irrefutable point that Lee Evans is such a high-impact player that he has fundamentally altered the PIT-BAL matchup, one of the NFL's fiercest ongoing division rivalries, by his mere presence on the field. This is a fact and if you dare to believe otherwise, you know little about football.

:worthy: