Obama wants $1.5T in new taxes

UConn James

Honestly, I would have to rate this as one of Obama's worst moments as president. Over half of his proposed debt solution is in taxes, which is all about politics simply because he is losing support in his base AND there was no real plan for SS and Medicare. And another large portion of his "plan" to reduce the debt is the unwinding of the war, which was set to happen anyway :lol: . What a horrible lack of leadership he just displayed. The only ones who will be happy about this speech are the ones who are left of Obama. He heeded the calls of Pelosi, to now begin campaigning for the elections, and to make sure to take medicare and SS off the table so that they can use it as a political tool for 2012.

The questions regarding his leadership abilities have now been confirmed. :bag:

Honestly, I would have to rate this as one of Obama's worst moments as president. Over half of his proposed debt solution is in taxes, which is all about politics simply because he is losing support in his base AND there was no real plan for SS and Medicare. And another large portion of his "plan" to reduce the debt is the unwinding of the war, which was set to happen anyway :lol: . What a horrible lack of leadership he just displayed. The only ones who will be happy about this speech are the ones who are left of Obama. He heeded the calls of Pelosi, to now begin campaigning for the elections, and to make sure to take medicare and SS off the table so that they can use it as a political tool for 2012.

Yes, but he is going to reduce overpayments to SS recipients and reduce waste. No more spending a million dollars to create a job! He's come up with so many plans (albiet meaningless bs) that he will always be able to quote while he's campaigning something he proposed that got shut down by those grandma killing republicans.

I believe Larry Summers summed it up best

Former White House economic adviser Larry Summers, according to Suskind, told then-OMB director Peter Orszag that as far as economic policy, “There’s no adult in charge. Clinton would never have made these mistakes.’”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0911/63754.html#ixzz1YQDxHf5m

Of course, LS is now backing away from those comments, but considering Orszag's recent criticisms of Obama, I would say it's more likely than not that he did say something along those lines.

Edited by Magox

I'll withhold judgement on the plan until I get it from somewhere other than the Moonies.

But it's yet another example of a long line of examples of how Obama never stopped campaigning.

If it was a question for anyone before, he just cemented his own defeat.

That's nothing the Republicans can't fix for him. If John Kerry taught us anything, it's that no defeat is ever cemented.

Uh oh....sounds like some people other than 'millionaires and billionaires' might have to pony up now!

You know what, when he says $1.5T and says rich people it makes me feel like I have a target on my back. $1.5T is upward of 2.193% of my net worth after the markets tanked and I went on that month long bender, and I do not appreciate some dude trying to take that. What is he going to take next? Sammy?

But we're not in a recession, we're in an anemic recovery. He didn's say "you don't raise taxes in an anemic recovery".

Plus...we're not in a recession. So he's got that going for him, which is nice...

On his deathbed, may he receive total consciousness.

'Bout time! Taxes have to go up pure and simple. The demands of government are only going to grow and grow as the baby boomers continue to retire and those that have benefitted the most from the globalization of our economy should have to pay the price, not the eroding middle class that simply for economic reasons shouldn't be asked to lower their buying power even more.

The rich are doing fine with this economic down turn, the middle class and lower classes have suffered, bout time for the wealthy to pay their fair share.

'Bout time! Taxes have to go up pure and simple. The demands of government are only going to grow and grow as the baby boomers continue to retire and those that have benefitted the most from the globalization of our economy should have to pay the price, not the eroding middle class that simply for economic reasons shouldn't be asked to lower their buying power even more.

The rich are doing fine with this economic down turn, the middle class and lower classes have suffered, bout time for the wealthy to pay their fair share.

I'm sorry, but this post is completely unacceptable. This is only regular-type stupid - dumb enough for normal people, but nowhere near your established standard of ass-munching idiocy. Please try again, but this time with more drool.

That is all.

If you're trying to get me to defend Obama, you're looking up the wrong alley.

I have no interest in baiting you to that discussion. I just thought it was funny that his deficit reduction plan came across as the one thing that suddenly confirms to people he has the leadership skills of a mop.

I just thought it was funny that his deficit reduction plan came across as the one thing that suddenly confirms to people he has the leadership skills of a mop.

From where did you get this? Who are these people that you talk of that have "suddenly" come to this conclusion?

Edited by Magox

You know what, when he says $1.5T and says rich people it makes me feel like I have a target on my back. $1.5T is upward of 2.193% of my net worth after the markets tanked and I went on that month long bender, and I do not appreciate some dude trying to take that. What is he going to take next? Sammy?

pay your fair share you cheap bastard :devil:

Since all the job creators have done so well creating jobs, with record low interest rates, taxes, and corporate loop holes, and a 15% capital gains tax, its no suprise why folks in the declining middle class and the poor are attracted to Obama's populist message.

The American people aren't stupid, they hear the Boehner and Cantor and the rest of the Republicans say NO. Do Americans want to have a strong middle class or do they want the Oligarchy and status-quo that Tea Party wants to preserve?

<br />Since all the job creators have done so well creating jobs, with record low interest rates, taxes, and corporate loop holes, and a 15% capital gains tax, its no suprise why folks in the declining middle class and the poor are attracted to Obama's populist message.<br /><br />The American people aren't stupid, they hear the Boehner and Cantor and the rest of the Republicans say NO. Do Americans want to have a strong middle class or do they want the Oligarchy and status-quo that Tea Party wants to preserve?<br />

And what gives you the right to take even more of my money?

Edited by John Adams

And what gives you the right to take even more of my money?

How much money do you make? If you make less than the top 2.0% you will not be affected by a tax increase. I'm just a regular Joe Plumber who runs my own small business, I'm cool with Paris Hilton and Warren Buffett paying more in taxes.

How much money do you make? If you make less than the top 2.0% you will not be affected by a tax increase. I'm just a regular Joe Plumber who runs my own small business, I'm cool with Paris Hilton and Warren Buffett paying more in taxes.

Wow. You're mighty generous with other people's income. Such a selfless human you are.

From where did you get this? Who are these people that you talk of that have "suddenly" come to this conclusion?

Relax, Scooter. I was just joking on your joking comment about three pages ago.

Bad jokes, perhaps, but just jokes. Nothing more or less.

Fact Check puts the lie to Obama's claim about millionaires paying a lower percentage in Federal taxes than do secretaries.

The data tells a different story. On average, the wealthiest people in America pay a lot more taxes than the middle class or the poor, according to private and government data. They pay at a higher rate, and as a group, they contribute a much larger share of the overall taxes collected by the federal government.
By STEPHEN OHLEMACHER, Associated Press

<br />How much money do you make? If you make less than the top 2.0% you will not be affected by a tax increase. I'm just a regular Joe Plumber who runs my own small business, I'm cool with Paris Hilton and Warren Buffett paying more in taxes.<br />

Let's say I make 500K/year. Or 1M/year. Or whatever is the trigger for the increase.

What gives you the right to take more of it?

Let's say I make 500K/year. Or 1M/year. Or whatever is the trigger for the increase.

What gives you the right to take more of it?

Because they can spend your money better than you can :rolleyes:

The right that comes with might. Don't want to pay your fair share as determined by our semi-democratic institutions, we will toss you in jail. Any other questions?

Yeah, that sounds democratic <_<

Please define what "fair share" means and who gets to decide the criteria for "fair share".

Edited by Barry in KC

I am not a big supporter of President Obama's policies (but I do support him and his role as President of our country). However, policies aside, I don't think there is a good solution to the problems that have been created by the past and current administrations. For decades, the answer has been to kick the can as far forward as possible and not deal with the problem.

I am for instituting a war tax immediately, with the money going directly to bringing down the deficit and being used for nothing else. It should have been instituted when we went to Afghanistan and raised when we went into Iraq. Possibly raised again, when we "went into" Libya

Since all the job creators have done so well creating jobs, with record low interest rates, taxes, and corporate loop holes, and a 15% capital gains tax, its no suprise why folks in the declining middle class and the poor are attracted to Obama's populist message.

The American people aren't stupid, they hear the Boehner and Cantor and the rest of the Republicans say NO. Do Americans want to have a strong middle class or do they want the Oligarchy and status-quo that Tea Party wants to preserve?

Can you show me a poll, or better, a trend in polls that makes a reasonable case for any of this....after the elections of 2010? :lol: (It's so bad...yet they react so poorly, I am losing my pity for them)

The American people you claim aren't stupid....are the same American people that voted for The Slaughter of 2010, which will have decade-long ramifications. This happened less than a year ago, so, to which populist message do you refer?

I agree with you: it was smart of us to put an immediate check on the Democratic party, as it was fully out of control. This was best demonstrated by them using procedural BS to pass Obamacare. The Democratic party has no leadership, as the supposed "leader of the party" is no leader. It has no discipline, as we see them shooting themselves in the foot right and left, and clinging to stupid ideas/policies/strategies that should have been abandoned long ago. It has no message, because for everything you quote one Democrat saying, I will find you a quote that contradicts it, to include high level administration officials and even Obama himself. They simply don't know WTF they are doing.

The above is yet another example of liberal/far-left wishful thinking. Yes, Scooby you go right ahead telling yourself that the middle class still buys Obama's BS. As long as you are in your own little world, telling yourself everything's going to be alright, you don't present a credible threat to yourself or anyone else. Doesn't make you any less nuts, but it doesn't mean we need to lock you up. Perhaps you can hang out on Chippewa and ask for change with the rest of the non-violent lunatics. Change!

:lol:

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I am not a big supporter of President Obama's policies (but I do support him and his role as President of our country). However, policies aside, I don't think there is a good solution to the problems that have been created by the past and current administrations. For decades, the answer has been to kick the can as far forward as possible and not deal with the problem.

I am for instituting a war tax immediately, with the money going directly to bringing down the deficit and being used for nothing else. It should have been instituted when we went to Afghanistan and raised when we went into Iraq. Possibly raised again, when we "went into" Libya

I am all for the war tax as well but have you seen where those Al Quaeda guys live and how they dress? Good luck collecting anything from those dirt bags.

The American people you claim aren't stupid....are the same American people that voted for The Slaughter of 2010, which will have decade-long ramifications. This happened less than a year ago, so, to which populist message do you refer?

What Slaughter are you talking about? The 85% incumbent reelection lovefest of 2010?

Way to add to the stupid, stupid.

The right that comes with might. Don't want to pay your fair share as determined by our semi-democratic institutions, we will toss you in jail. Any other questions?

That's not a moral argument, but the practical one, and why I pay 40+%..

So what gives you the moral authority to keep taking?

Edited by John Adams