how do our DB compete against Brady?

SlamnSam

I don't see much evidence that we have a pass rush yet, at least not one that will worry the Patriots. So a track meet it is. Given the points we have put up, I think we could keep up with them, if only just.

That is by design. Guarantee Brady feels the heat this coming week. I really think Kyle Williams and Dareus are going to take away his comfort zone, which is stepping up into his pocket. Why? Because there won't be a pocket for him to step into. He's a pure pocket passer and that NE offensive line does have exploitable weaknesses.

When we get him moving outside of his pocket, we do have LBs and DEs that can really turn up the heat for Brady. The Bills aren't going to shut him down but they can slow him down enough to allow our offense a chance to out score them.

Look, the Bills no longer have anything to be afraid of. They have all ready been repeatedly shredded by Brady. The fear factor is on NE this time. They have to travel to our house, play an improved Bills offense that can really put up some points and a defensive front that is much more powerful than last year.

Anyone who doesn't think this team can generate enough pressure to put Brady on his back, needs to taking enough sleeping pills to keep themselves out until 4PM next Sunday. You all know the defense has the weapons to bring it, but all you can see is Brady for Christ's sake. All of this backwards thinking, negative, moaning and groaning is making me nauseous. Brady is human just like the rest of us and he can be taken down a notch.

We have a shot here. Don't spoil it with a bunch of pansy a$$ed complaining over inaccurately perceived defensive weaknesses. KC and Oakland are completely different teams compared to NE. You don't know what is going to happen next Sunday. Enjoy the wins we have and start thinking of ways to take NE DOWN!!!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brady has over 900 yds passing against 2 really good defeneses,San Diego and Miami. Our DB's cant cover a college freshman. How do we have any chances of slowing down Tom Brady?

I guess I'm wondering what leads you to feel SD and Miami have really good defenses?

That said, the best way to slow down Tom Brady is to keep him seated.

Miami only converted 14% of their 3rd downs.

San Diego turned the ball over inside the NE 35 3 times.

Neither of these will get it done against NE.

I agree with putting heat on Brady but I would like to see Merriman and Barnett set Welker up for an ambush. He is the guy that scares me. Let him catch one then pound the #*&! out him. I don't want him crippled just scared and dazed. He is TB's security blanket. Rip his "blanky up" in front of him and then its a whole new ball game.

Bench McKelvin and give Williams his shot...?

Bad answer. Although McKelvin didn't play the ball well, at least he was with his guy. Besides, DBs have little to do with beating Tom Brady. The only way to beat him is keep him off the field and provide SOME pressure from the front 4 when he is on the field.

Put another way, even if we had Deion Sanders on one side and Charles Woodson on the other, Brady would do what he does unless there is some pressure on him. Brady will light it up this weekend.

We all know what 95% of New England's offense is, Tom Brady. So here's some things I think we can do to slow down his efectivness.

Get into his face & be physical, not dirty, but physical with him. With a pass rush on him where he's always getting hit before, during, & shortly after his throws, it flusters him & it gets into his head. Basically wear the guy down.

With their starting Center out, I think we can exploit my above point by scheming Kyle, Marcel, & Merriman and anybody else, to bull-rush right up in there. This can flush him out of the pocket also where he's way less effective.

Hit all of their receivers at the line. Disrupt their timing of their routes. Getting pysical w/ them also wears them down.

Cover Welker like a blanket! Even double coverage from time to time. I've seen too much of him eating teams up.

With our offense, long sustained drives. Eat up clock, = Brady on the sideline. He can't hurt us if he's on the sideline. Moreover, w/ long sustained drives by our offense, our defense is getting plenty of rest & staying fresh.

We gotta play smart football. Avoid penalties, ESPECIALLY the ones that give NE a second chance.

Lastly, touchdowns in the Red Zone. We can't do what San Diego did yesterday. You need all the points you can get against NE.

Well folks, that's my 2 cents.

I watched about half of the SD/NE game, and SD rushed 3 for most of it. WTF? Its been years since the 'to beat Brady all you have to do is sack him' gameplan was discovered. Why do teams still refuse to get after him? Its assinine.

The first two weeks I got teh feeling we were holding back on our pass rush to stop the run. I hope that is the case. I want to see WMD ripping titties Sunday.

Because you have to have the talent to not only get pressure on him through blitzes and four man rushes, but to also have great man to man coverage on the wide receivers and linebackers that can cover underneath - and very few teams have it (i.e., Jets, Ravens). If we go after him, we better be able to get to him - or at least force him to get rid of it quick. If we don't - it will be a track meet. In which case it will be who executes better and makes the least amount of mistakes.

I know this much though, through the years, Brady (pressure or no pressure) has absolutely feasted on our defense with the 5-7 yard pass over the middle...I am tired of seeing Wes Welker and their tight ends running absolutely free in that range. If we can defense that area better, then it is a step in the right direction.

With all that said. New England is a better team than we are (until proven otherwise); however they are not unbeatable. We have an improving team developing confidence and a winning attitude. If they play sound, fundamental football and don't turn the ball over, then we have a chance...

As I posted in another thread, Fred Jackson; and Fitz directing long drives in order to keep their O off the field.

On D:

I seem to recall one of the games last year where the Bills dared the Pats to run, and they did. I don't think that happens this year, that kind of success in the run against the Bills.

I think we'll see a lot of Kirk Morrison and/or Bryan Scott over ADavis, as we'll need speed at the LB positions over braun.

KWilliams needs to earn his money this week too. Between Dareus, Williams and Merriman, I think the Bills can get to Brady enough to stop some drives.

It would also be nice to have a turnover or two. Maybe McKelvin steps up and into a passing lane this week...

This should be a good competitive game by the Bills. They will need a little luck (not in the draft), and they are due...

Some rambling thoughts about the upcoming Patriots game....

Man am I tired of this team losing to these clowns - there I said it. I don't think they are stronger, or faster, or have better football players than all the guys who currently occupy a Bills roster spot, but NE is confident they can beat the Bills. They have a system they tweak it and they need to do little else. They have won many games against the Bills, but they certainly have not been all blowouts. The worst losses for me being the ones where the old Bills have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory and let them escape games with that mystique intact instead of in-tatters.

Brady will complete his passes, the only thing you can do is take a page out of the Jets playbook and hit Brady over and over and bring pressure up the middle. That is the only way to get to a prolific veteran QB who is in a zone, you make him wince, you take him out of his rhythm, you get him to "tuck the ball", make him move around and hopefully make mistakes. You have to take Welker out of the game PERIOD. Every QB, even Brady has their go-to guy, that guy that can move the chains for you and turn a check-down pass into a 15 yard gain - that guy is Welker. The most uncharacteristic games I have seen from NE and Tom Brady have been when Welker was not in the lineup. When he is not in, Brady does not look comfortable.

The Jets have been able to do this because they trust their corners and safeties in man coverage and can commit the extra men to the rush and covering Welker, but the Bills have some big boys up front now and my hope is that they can generate pressure with 3-4 rushers (something we have never been able to do against this Brady NE team). If they can do that, then that paves the way for more creative coverages and blitzes.

Hopefully Troup will be ready to go because we need to be able to rotate defensive linemen and keep them fresh, the Bills front 3-4 will need to be HUGE. Collapsing the pocket and creating pressure right up the middle to prevent Brady from stepping up or getting comfortable.

If there was ever a time to start dialing up the pass rush it would be this game.

Byrd is due a pick 6, I don't know why I say that... other than he has been around the ball and I guess I am just hoping he starts making some noise back there again. He played a lot in the Oakland game, but I think he was limited to trying to keep Oakland from running all over us. I would rather see Byrd covering those deep routes like those ran by Moore than Wilson.

Although still raw and a step behind in coverage I like what we have in Aaron Williams, I also believe Searcy is good insurance for Scott and I think will develop into a good SS for this team.

I am not going to give this team the out of saying they are young and just figuring out how to win because you should play every game to win, and should expect to win. However, win or lose this team is on the upswing and I expect better things from our defense than what we saw in the Raider game. They can be more dominant than they were, particularly the pass rush and covering down field.

Bench McKelvin and give Williams his shot...?

Agreed. He should have been benched immediatly after giving up the long TD pass. But our DC is too much of a wuss to do anything like that. Hopefully if the Pats toast our D, our DC is gone. We need to bench McKelvin, put in Williams, and run the ball to keep it away from Brady. Saying we need to "hit brady" is great. But this D can't get pressure on anyone. (KC game does NOT count)

Agreed. He should have been benched immediatly after giving up the long TD pass. But our DC is too much of a wuss to do anything like that. Hopefully if the Pats toast our D, our DC is gone. We need to bench McKelvin, put in Williams, and run the ball to keep it away from Brady. Saying we need to "hit brady" is great. But this D can't get pressure on anyone. (KC game does NOT count)

I actually think the Bills can dial up some pass rush, but against Oakland, they didn't have the lead till the second half and when they did get the lead they would give it right back and we never put Oakland in a passing only catch-up situation till the last few plays. Against that team the defense had to stay focused on being disciplined and staying in thier run lanes and not getting too deep, basically keeping McFadden from tearing it up and scoring. McFadden has a lot of speed and has done that against really good teams so they had to respect the delays, draw plays, and screens - especially considering they bit big on a screen play rushing Campbell that went for a lot of yards early in the game.

NE is not known for their rushing attack, so I think the Bills defense should throw a bit of caution to the wind to get to Brady and I think they will.

Wish we had a healthy McGee for this game. Who's gonna man-up Welker in the slot? I think it's gotta be Williams unless Florence can handle it. All I know is we can't sit back in zones all day. Somebody has to cover Welker one-on-one. Same with Gronkowski. I've been saying Scott should but maybe they put Williams on him instead? Barnett is going to have to come up big. He very well may be the only MLB we use most of the day. I'm also looking forward to the line stunts we saw in pre-season but not yet in the first two games. Pressure up the middle is key against Brady.

No matter how you slice it, it's going to be a busy day for the D backfield. Brady is gonna get his 300+ but it's how he gets them that matters. Like when we used to play Marino back in the 80s.

GO BILLS!!!

Wish we had a healthy McGee for this game. Who's gonna man-up Welker in the slot? I think it's gotta be Williams unless Florence can handle it. All I know is we can't sit back in zones all day. Somebody has to cover Welker one-on-one. Same with Gronkowski. I've been saying Scott should but maybe they put Williams on him instead? Barnett is going to have to come up big. He very well may be the only MLB we use most of the day. I'm also looking forward to the line stunts we saw in pre-season but not yet in the first two games. Pressure up the middle is key against Brady.

No matter how you slice it, it's going to be a busy day for the D backfield. Brady is gonna get his 300+ but it's how he gets them that matters. Like when we used to play Marino back in the 80s.

GO BILLS!!!

i dunno... I think Welker would eat Williams' lunch and that would be tough on a rookie with so much upside. I like the idea of Byrd shadowing him for the game; Jarius has great quickness, a nose for the ball, good hands, and has been a pretty solid tackler. That leaves our new and improved LB core to cover TE's releasing out in the flat along with Wilson or Scott.

They have a lot of weapons and Brady knows how to get the ball into their hands, this will be a tough fight as always. NE would much rather have a Buffalo team that they can crush and keep under a rock for another decade than one that starts to get all uppity thinking they can actually be competitive in the AFC East.

i dunno... I think Welker would eat Williams' lunch and that would be tough on a rookie with so much upside. I like the idea of Byrd shadowing him for the game; Jarius has great quickness, a nose for the ball, good hands, and has been a pretty solid tackler. That leaves our new and improved LB core to cover TE's releasing out in the flat along with Wilson or Scott.

They have a lot of weapons and Brady knows how to get the ball into their hands, this will be a tough fight as always. NE would much rather have a Buffalo team that they can crush and keep under a rock for another decade than one that starts to get all uppity thinking they can actually be competitive in the AFC East.

I only mention Williams because he had a rep coming out of college of being a very good slot cover guy. While I like J Byrd a ton, he's doesn't have the corner skills that Williams has. But more importantly, I think Byrd is far more valuable playing center field where he can read Brady and roam the field a bit. I think he's gonna make a play or two on Sunday. Just a feeling I have.

With all due respect I don't want our LBs anywhere near their TEs with the exception of Barnett. Scott is gonna see a lot of time in his hybrid SS/LB role that he's been playing lately.

But it's time we get uppity like you say. At least bloody their nose a bit and let them know they've been in a fight. I don't want them chalking up 2 automatic wins when they see our game on the schedule.

GO BILLS!!!

We have a couple blue prints to follow when it comes to beating the pats. I agree with everyone who says pressure and especially up the middle. A sound game. No turnovers and pentalties.

I also agree with hitting him often. Nothing dirty but follow through and smash his ass.

This is where it gets tricky. I would check everyone except welker. It was the saints who did it best. The last time they played the pats they got pressure all across the front, but they shadowed welker(double teamed sometimes) and as soon as he would catch the ball, the Saints smashed hiss ass.

I really think we should play him that way if possible. If any of you fellas have that game or remember it, take a look at it.

If Scott has anything left he needs to play their TE all day. I still remember when he took antonio gates out of the game when we played the chargers.

I'm really not impressed with their recievers at all.

Now is our time!

THE NATION RISES!!