Is Fred Jackson Terrell Davis?

RLflutie7

I'm starting to think that Fred Jackson is looking more and more like Terrell Davis. I haven't watched much of the Bills in recent years but I'm starting to believe that Jackson is that kind of player.

What little I've seen of Jackson, he's a great downhill runner with plenty of power. I remember writing on these pages that Lynch stunk and the Bills needed to get rid of him and the Bills didn't have a decent running back on the roster.

I rememeber saying that Jackson wasn't a NFL quality player and the Bills needed to draft several running backs in the draft. I'm starting to think, Jackson is the real deal and I didn't see the player that he was. I've probably never been so wrong about a player, as I have been with Fred Jackson.

So tell me Bills fans, is this guy Terrell Davis in the making?

I'll read your stuff on Friday.

If he is then I hope that he doesn't include Terrell's knees.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, but there is just no way. I am a huge Bills fan and am really impressed with Freddie after last week, but in no way is he Davis. Had Davis not gotten injured like he had, we'd be talking about him as one of the greatest ever. Even with his short career, people still make the argument.

Yes, Freddie is tough, but Davis was on a whole other level. He was a one man wrecking ball who didn't just break arm tackles, he broke arms. The guy was a beast and the main reason Elway got his first Superbowl Ring.

I still make that argument.

Fred's got attributes of former hall of famers. A little Earl Campbell, A little OJ (1970's OJ), a little TO.

I love Freddie and think he's a great back. A real asset to this team. But this is way over the top.

Freddie has in no way Earl Campbell's brutal power and ability to run over people.

Freddie is nowhere near as evasive or fast as OJ in his prime.

I don't see him as being as strong or unstoppable as Terrel Davis in his two great years.

But don't get me wrong; I love the way he runs, his drive, the way he makes the absolute most out of what he's given.

Let's set aside the notion that Freddy is as good as TD and focus instead on any stylistic similarities which might exist.

Yes, stylistically there are similarities in the way Jackson and TD run with the football.

This comparison is way closer to the mark than the fairly recent thread about Freddy being similar to Thurman Thomas. Freddy actually couldn't be more different than Thurman as far as running style, body type, etc.

I've always compared Freddy (and heard announcers subsequently make the same comparison) to Marcus Allen.

Both are tall runners who play with good body lean, have great vision, always make the first tackler miss, generally run north-south but can turn the corner, always fall forward to finish runs, and are smooth gliders. Neither Freddy or Marcus have/had great speed but both can run away from defenders… have good football speed.

The one thing Marcus did that Freddy doesn't do is that Driftwood used to vault very high over the line on short yardage and goal to go situations. This practice seems to be a dying art as LaDainian Tomlinson is the only RB in recent memory who goes airborne around the goal line.

Again, not saying Freddy is as good as Marcus Allen, only that they have similar styles, the way they gallop in the open field, being excellent blockers, having the ability to catch the ball, the way they arc back on their cutbacks lunge through holes…

Here's some Marcus Allen highlights for those who never saw him play. Oddly Marcus emulated OJ Simpson and has a bit of OJs wiggle to his game but is much more Fred Jackson than OJ Simpson.

youtube.com/watch?v=n36BMWSbsCI&feature=related

That is the best description I have heard about freddie... I've always seen a bit of TT in him... not style but attitude... however your Allen comparison is spot on.

Davis was one of the greatest backs to ever play the game.

He had power and speed.

I like Fred, but the comparison to Marcus Allen is much more accurate. I use to always wonder how Allen would tear off those yards running so tall. But he was incredible strong like Fred is. And they both share the knack of usually falling forward.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Scouts missed on FJ because he's not a "measurables" guy. He's not the fastest. Or the quickest. Or the strongest. In fact, when you watch him run, he might even look a tad slow. Defenders catch up to him all the time. But when they do he'll juke. Or spin. Or stop. He'll make them miss and keep on going. He's just a treat to watch play. I must of said "I love you Freddie" at least 10 times out loud during the KC game. He's just brilliant.

Edited by BEAST MODE BABY!

Let's set aside the notion that Freddy is as good as TD and focus instead on any stylistic similarities which might exist.

Yes, stylistically there are similarities in the way Jackson and TD run with the football.

This comparison is way closer to the mark than the fairly recent thread about Freddy being similar to Thurman Thomas. Freddy actually couldn't be more different than Thurman as far as running style, body type, etc.

I've always compared Freddy (and heard announcers subsequently make the same comparison) to Marcus Allen.

Both are tall runners who play with good body lean, have great vision, always make the first tackler miss, generally run north-south but can turn the corner, always fall forward to finish runs, and are smooth gliders. Neither Freddy or Marcus have/had great speed but both can run away from defenders… have good football speed.

The one thing Marcus did that Freddy doesn't do is that Driftwood used to vault very high over the line on short yardage and goal to go situations. This practice seems to be a dying art as LaDainian Tomlinson is the only RB in recent memory who goes airborne around the goal line.

Again, not saying Freddy is as good as Marcus Allen, only that they have similar styles, the way they gallop in the open field, being excellent blockers, having the ability to catch the ball, the way they arc back on their cutbacks lunge through holes…

Here's some Marcus Allen highlights for those who never saw him play. Oddly Marcus emulated OJ Simpson and has a bit of OJs wiggle to his game but is much more Fred Jackson than OJ Simpson.

Nice post, I agree. After watching the highlights, it reminded me of that nice stiff-arm Freddy laid on the chiefs last weekend when he was running left (can't remember which quarter it was in) but it was right on time and made the chiefs db look foolish.

The main comparison that I see between Fred and Thurman was, as another poster said, both have(had) great patience and vision to find the crease.

TD is in a different class to me because of his speed. He was a great back though and likely would've put up crazy numbers if he didn't have the knee and migraine issues.

Edited by Bufluv

I don't think I would ever confuse video of Thurman with video of Freddy. But there are some superficial similarities. Both were versatile - able to run, catch and block. Both lacked OJ's athletic moves and track speed. And both were very good at finding a little crease and making the best of it.

I disagree with the notion that Allen wasn't fast, he did hold an NCAA record for 45 meter hurdles or some odd indoor distance like that at one point. He may not have had Chris Johnson speed, but he definitely had a bit more speed and was a bigger home run threat than Freddy imo.

I'm not sure I understand the love-fest for Terrell Davis, he was an excellent running back, but I think the discussion must be placed in context.

If people remember correctly, he ran in a system that was pumping out good running backs. They didn't skip a beat when he left. For instance, Mike Anderson and Clinton Portis, who replaced Terrell Davis, ran for 4.4 and 5.5 yards per carry. (compare this with 4.6 from Terrell Davis). Terell also had the pleasure of running a few years when they had a good quarterback who could actually create a passing threat.

Compare this to Jackson, who has run for 4.5 yards per carry (.1 less than Terrel Davis) over the course of a span where the Bills have had what I would consider one of the most lethargic passing offense and offensive lines that I can ever remember watching. There is not a recent Bills running back that has even close to his production.

Beyond these numbers, think about his ability to block and the fact that he was actually a great kick returner for the time that he did. He's literally in the hall of fame for his running / kick returning combination.

If you've watched every game the Bills have played over the course of the past couple years, is he clearly not our MVP (albeit we've been terrible)?

I'm not sure I understand the love-fest for Terrell Davis, he was an excellent running back, but I think the discussion must be placed in context.

If people remember correctly, he ran in a system that was pumping out good running backs. They didn't skip a beat when he left. For instance, Mike Anderson and Clinton Portis, who replaced Terrell Davis, ran for 4.4 and 5.5 yards per carry. (compare this with 4.6 from Terrell Davis). Terell also had the pleasure of running a few years when they had a good quarterback who could actually create a passing threat.

Compare this to Jackson, who has run for 4.5 yards per carry (.1 less than Terrel Davis) over the course of a span where the Bills have had what I would consider one of the most lethargic passing offense and offensive lines that I can ever remember watching. There is not a recent Bills running back that has even close to his production.

Beyond these numbers, think about his ability to block and the fact that he was actually a great kick returner for the time that he did. He's literally in the hall of fame for his running / kick returning combination.

If you've watched every game the Bills have played over the course of the past couple years, is he clearly not our MVP (albeit we've been terrible)?

So.....are you trying to say Fred Jackson is better than Terrell Davis? lol

I think you made a better comparison. Davis had more speed than Marcus Allen. But comparing him to either one is comparing him to two Hall of Famers and that's saying alot. Fans only do that when a player is playing great. Yes, Jackson doesn't have "draft status" and he's 30, but what difference does it make? The first time I saw Jackson play, I wasn't impressed. Now he's been playing great and I see him move through holes like the great ones.

TD was a one cut runner with breakaway speed. Jackson is a 4 cut, stiff arm, juke, spin move RB that doesn't stop moving his legs. I think td was a great player, and lots of his credit goes to having shanny, a great OL and blocking scheme, and elway. I think Fred would be a fixture In the pro bowl if he had similar talent around him. That saying, The only comparison I see between the two is that they were overlooked on draft day.

Good post.

Fred is so good with his arm defense. He's so long there, and so strong.