Is Fred Jackson Terrell Davis?

RLflutie7

Fred Jackson reminds me of Fred Jackson. What's with all the silly comparisons? They aren't alike.

Disagree completely and I think it's always a cool discussion comparing the playing styles of different players.

Part of athletics is artistic expression, how two people can do the same job in very different (or similar ways).

Hardly a game goes by where the play of one or more players reminds me of other players.

That's because many football players are archetypes… and then others are somewhat unique and harder to find comparisons for (ie- Harold Carmichael).

Sam Bradford is like Bernie Kosar, tall and lanky. More mobile than Bernie but similarly cerebral, poised and accurate.

The play of Darren Sproles is very evocative of David Meggett.

Mike Alstott… John Riggins.

I find football archetypes to be very interesting… it's one of the things I love about sports.

As to the OPs comparison of TD and FJ, I think it's a good one. They DO have some similarities in style.

Both of them are more north-south, both are longer, taller backs, both have nice toughness and strength.

Both have good vision that expresses itself in a very practical and non-fancy running style.

Both have better functional speed than you might think by watching them run.

Both can turn the corner when you don't think they can.

Both can outrun defenders when you don't think they can.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred is Fred. There is only one.

That said, I find that Earl Campbell is closer in style to Fred than TD. Fred is not as big or strong or fast etc as Earl was, but in the way the tacklers bounce ff oand the way Fred is able to carry would be tacklers for extra yardage. You gotta gang tackle Fred.

I gotta see breakaway speed to be a complete back.

Fred's third quarter TD run was an example of Fred's lack of breakaway speed.

The result was a touchdown though. How ?

The slight right veer he took at the ten yard line. Just enough to counter the much faster DB's pursuit. Throw them off their path. Just enough to get him to the House.