My Meaningless Opinion

R. Rich

Yes, it is finally here: football season!!! Gotta love this time of year! And, man, what a start to the season! I was just in awe of what the Bills were able to do. I watched the game @ home w/ a good friend and fellow Bills fan who (stupidly) moved to Baltihell and knew I had the Ticket, so we made our own Bills Central. We were both thinking: is this a dream? If so, I hope it continues for another few months.

Well, let's get into it, shall we? Here we go...

I'll start by sayin' that Ryan Fitzpatrick had a very solid outing in his first opener as the Bills' starter. Sure, he had a few miscues (poor throw on quick slant to Stevie Johnson @ the 6:54 mark of the second quarter, threw to a heavily covered Donald Jones @ the 5:47 mark of the second quarter when Brandon Flowers had good coverage down the sideline and they had safety help over top), but those plays were far outweighed by all the good things he did. Here's a few:

1. His 35 yard completion to David Nelson @ the 1:50 mark of the first quarter was sweet!

2. His 27 yard TD to Johnson @ the 1:02 mark of the first quarter was also nice; put it high where Stevie could grab it but to the outside shoulder where the DB had no play on it w/out interfering based on Johnson's body positioning.

3. His 13 yard quick strike to Johnson @ the 0:57 mark of the second quarter to beat the blitz was very nice as well.

4. His 17 yard toss to David Nelson on the first play of the third quarter was very good. Right over the shoulder, and the receiver caught it in stride.

5. One of my favorite throws of the day: his 4 yard bullet to Jones for the TD @ the 0:19 mark of the third quarter. He put great zip on it, as he had to for that kind of quick route in the end zone. It was a hint (JUST a hint!) of Favre, Elway kinda touch.

What a game for Fred Jackson! He had some truly insipring runs in that game. Looks like someone was makin' a statement to management 'bout his true worth to the team!! He does owe his offensive line major props (we will address this later), but he had plenty of times where his effort was the difference in the play, too. He had a beauty of a cutback run on the first drive (14:16 mark of the first quarter) and exploded through a nice hole made by a great block by guard Kraig Urbik (10:28 mark of the first quarter). The second half was his time to shine, as he had a great 14 yard run early in the third quarter (14:30 mark) and had perhaps his second best run of the day in my (meaningless) opinion @ the 10:11 mark of the third quarter on a play that featured a series of excellent blocks (more later). Why the second best, you say? Well, I say that 'cause I believe his best run was late in the second quarter, @ the 0:48 mark. W/ the Bills needin' one yard, Jackson got hit two yards deep in the backfield by Chiefs LB Derrick Johnson, but he recovered, shook off another tackle attempt, and then carried Flowers on his back in order to get the yard needed for the first down. It reminded me of the effort Marshawn Lynch made to get a couple yards in the home opener vs Denver a few years ago. It was sweet to watch! In addition to Jackson's efforts, there were some good plays by rookie Jonny White (nice run for 13 yards @ the 9:30 mark of the fourth quarter) and FB Corey McIntire (forced the fumble on the opening kickoff, had a beautiful chip block on Chiefs LB Tamba Hali on Fitzpatrick's TD pass to Johnson @ the 1:02 mark of the first quarter).

The receivers made some stellar plays in this one, too. Johnson's leaping TD catch, Nelson's previously mentioned 35 yard completion, and Jones' 4 yard TD catch all were nice plays by this young and talented unit, but by far the biggest surprise and best showing came from TE Scott Chandler! What a game! A Bills TE w/ not only catches, but a 13 yard per catch average AND a pair of TDs??? Wow!! His catch @ the 11:46 mark of the second quarter showed he has soft hands and good body control. He also showed his prowess as a blocker, making some solid blocks highlighted by a lead block on S Jon McGraw on Jackson's 24 yard run in the third quarter (10:11 mark). I hope this was just the beginning of Chandler's contributions to the offense.

Now on to our unsung heroes of the day: the offensive line. A much beleaguered line, for sure. These guys have been bagged on by many (myself included) and have seen little love on TBD. Well, they get plenty of love for their effort in this one. Overall, this was a very good performance by the line. It wasn't perfect, but we'll take it. I will point out that I wasn't overly thrilled by the game RT Erik Pears had. He wasn't awful, but he had some gaffes. For example, he did get driven back 'bout 4 yards by Chiefs DE Tyson Jackson @ the 10:28 mark of the first quarter (***BUT*** Jackson was able to get yards due to a great block by Urbik) and he had a play in the second quarter (11:01 mark) where he actually whiffed on not one, not two, but THREE blocks! Here's how it went down: First, he missed a double team block w/ Urbik on DE Allen Bailey, then he went after Johnson and totally missed 'em, and finally, he went for a crackback block on S Sabby Piscatelli, missed 'em, and allowed Piscatelli to make the tackle. Seriously. Of course, he also gave up the sack to Hali @ the 12:20 mark of the third quarter. Now, that said, Pears wasn't w/out his successes, too. On the very next play after the triple whiff (10:20 mark of second quarter), he made a nice kickout block of LB Cameron Sheffield and he also stopped Jackson cold on Fitzpatrick's 16 yard throw to Chandler @ the 7:29 mark of the third quarter. How 'bout his counterpart on the other side, the very much beleaguered LT Demetrius Bell? I saw plenty of good stuff from 'em. Start off w/ the fact that he pretty much held Hali, who had 14.5 sacks last season and destroyed the Bills on Halloween, in check. From there, he showed some impressive stuff in RUN blocking too! For instance, he threw a great kickout block on a 2nd and goal play @ the 13:04 mark of the first quarter. A few plays before that (14:16 mark of first quarter), he took DE Glenn Dorsey out to allow a nice 7 yard cutback run by Jackson. On the Bills' first play (14:50 mark of first quarter), Bell threw a great kickout block on Hali that, combined w/ Andy Levitre's blocking, created a hole big enough for Jackson to pick up 9 yards on. Great stuff. I hope Bell continues to improve in this area. Speaking of Levitre, what a game he had! Here's a few highlight plays he had:

1. He had a play @ the 14:30 mark of the third quarter where he took out Dorsey and Johnson, clearing a path for Jackson to run for 14 yards. It was very impressive.

2. He walled off Dorsey (@ the 10:11 mark of the third quarter) while Bell kicked out Johnson, Urbik pulled to take out Hali, and Chandler pulled to throw the nice lead block on McGraw.

3. He pulled to make a great lead block on Piscatelli (9:39 mark of third quarter) as Jackson gained another 9 yards.

Besides Levitre, Urbik also made some nice plays. He had the one mentioned earlier, but also did well in pass protection like the rest of 'em. Wood seemed to be settled in @ center and held his own. He and Levitre cleared a nice path for a 4 yard gain on 2nd and goal @ the 13:04 mark of the first quarter. He did get beat by Johnson @ the 2:35 mark of the first quarter on a play that forced WR Brad Smith to reverse field on a Wildcat running play that was stuffed. Still, a very good overall performance by this entire unit.

The defensive line? Outstanding as well! I think the difference was the play of rookie DL Marcell Dareus. Man, did he look very good out there! Here's a few of his highlights:

1. He actually was double teamed early on in the game. It was @ the 11:13 mark of the first quarter where I saw Chiefs C Casey Wiegmann actually come off his guy to help out and double team Dareus. The guy he was blocking? Kyle Williams! That was ridiculous.

2. Just one play later, @ the 11:08 mark of the first quarter, Dareus pressured Chiefs QB Matt Cassel and forced 'em into a sack.

3. He made a brilliant stop @ the 13:52 mark of the second quarter on a play that gained just one yard.

4. He shed his blocker and dropped RB Jamaal Charles for just a 2 yard gain on a play @ the 5:28 mark of the second quarter.

5. He blew into the backfield @ the 10:44 mark of the third quarter and forced Cassel to get rid of the ball on a quick throw to TE Leonard Pope that lost 2 yards.

He did have the one gaffe in the fourth quarter (14:25 mark) that cost the team a stop on third down, but other than that, it was a standout debut by the big guy. Kyle Williams was able to pressure the QB for most of the game and they also got good inside pressure from Spencer Johnson. Johnson and Williams teamed up to come up w/ a sack @ the 12:16 mark of the second quarter and put the Chiefs in long FG range (Ryan Succop missed) after they nearly got a TD from Pope that was overturned on review. Alex Carrington did have a few bad plays on running downs, as he seemed to have trouble settin' the edge. He got sucked inside twice on plays that went for big yards: the first one @ the 0:55 mark of the first quarter on a 22 yard Charles run and the second one was @ the 3:56 mark of the second quarter on a 23 yard run by Dexter McCluster. He did provide the pressure that led to Cassel throwing the pick to Drayton Florence @ the 14:12 mark of the fourth quarter though.

If there was a unit that you could say had a "decent" showing, it would be the linebackers. Not that they didn't contribute anything to this one, but overall as a unit, they weren't quite as solid as the DL or DBs. Nick Barnett was the guy the cameras caught chasin' Charles on the 22 yard run (0:55 mark of the first quarter), but he was comin' from the hash mark, as the only person on that edge was Carrington. Barnett got chipped, which allowed Charles to slip past 'em. Where was the OLB on that one? Barnett did get beat on a 3rd and 4 play @ the 14:23 mark of the second quarter when Chiefs TE Jake O'Connell slipped into the middle after Barnett got caught peekin' into the backfield. O'Connell gained 15 yards on that play. There weren't many embarrASSing plays by this unit, but there also weren't many eye catchin' "Wow!" plays, either. Chris Kelsay was better than I expected, especially against the run. No examples come to mind, but he wasn't a liability and actually held his ground well. It seemed the only few times the Chiefs had success runnin' @ the Bills was when the Bills had their "rush lineup" in, where Batten and Merriman were down linemen w/ Johnson and Carrington as rush linemen (this is where Carrington was sucked inside w/ no help outside).

The play of the secondary can be summed up by the fact that the Chiefs passing game was no factor in this one. Also, the big surprise was the marked improvement in tackling by this unit! In particular, safety Jairus Byrd, who was a glaring liability in run support last year. Not in this game, he wasn't! Byrd had a great open field tackle @ the 7:43 mark of the first quarter, stopping a play for 6 yards that could've easily been 36. He had another one @ the 2:55 mark of the second quarter after Charles beat Spencer Johnson on a cutback run. Bryan Scott also had some nice open field tackles, one @ the 4:27 mark of the second quarter to limit the run to 4 yards and an impressive one @ the 3:55 mark of the third quarter for a one yard loss. George Wilson did have a bad missed tackle on Pope's 18 yard catch @ the 12:09 mark of the first quarter, but he did have that forced fumble on a big hit @ the 6:37 mark of the second quarter and had a play where he got pressure and knocked the Cassel pass back to Cassel for a 4 yard loss @ the 11:16 mark of the third quarter. Leodis McKelvin was a busy man, as he had to keep Chiefs WR Dwayne Bowe from becoming a factor. Well, mission accomplished! He had a play @ the 5:31 mark of the first quarter where he made a great open field tackle on Bowe, limiting the catch to a gain of 2 yards. He nearly made a nice catch for a pick @ the 5:32 mark of the second quarter w/ an excellent break on the ball. Florence had the nice pick @ the 14:12 mark of the fourth quarter and nearly had a pick while blanketin' Chiefs WR Jerheme Urban on a deep route @ the 0:02 mark of the third quarter. Rookie Aaron Williams got caught gamblin' on the Charles TD @ the 1:51 mark of the second quarter. Gotta either go full out to get there to make the pick/break up the pass or get ready to knock Charles silly to get that ball out. It'll come, rook.

Brian Moorman was boomin' his punts again. His first went for 63 yards and he added a 59 yarder later on. Hopefully, this means he's back to form and not anglin' kicks which cost him and the Bills dearly last season. Rian Lindell wasn't called upon often, but when he was, he nailed the kicks. The coverage units were very good, coming up w/ the turnover on the opening kickoff and generally keepin' the Chiefs in poor field position all game. The return game had some hits and misses. Roscoe Parrish had a nice return in the third quarter where he just fielded the punt and made people miss on the fly. This is what made guys like Mel Gray and Vai Sikahema great return guys in their day. Keep it up, Roscoe.

Coaching wise, you gotta give props to Chan Gailey and whoever else decided to use Scott Chandler in the passing game. Man, has it been ages since we've seen a Bills tight end be a factor in a game. Lovin' it! Also, George Edwards can take a bow as well. The defense played w/ attitude and, more importantly, w/ better fundamentals. There were so many great open field tackles and so many times where guys were just in their corect position. It was refreshing to see. I do kinda take 'em to task for the decision to shut it down @ the end of the first half, right after Jackson made such a brilliant play to get the first down and w/ the Bills havin' a pair of time outs to use. Oh, and that's another thing: the Bills didn't squander timeouts???????

Okay, so it's on to the Home Opener!!! The Raidahs can run, so it will be a stern test for the Bills defensive front. Keep doin' what you did on Sunday and we'll see similar results. I am excited for the future of Bills football. Looks like these guys are pointed in the right direction. I know it can get derailed w/ a heartbreaking loss in the opener, followed by a beatdown by the Pats, so no need to go on that tangent. Let's just enjoy what we saw: a game where the Bills excelled in nearly every facet of the game and gave their fans hope. Only 5 more days, folks. I'll see you @ "Home"!

Okay, so it's on to the Home Opener!!! The Raidahs can run, so it will be a stern test for the Bills defensive front. Keep doin' what you did on Sunday and we'll see similar results. I am excited for the future of Bills football. Looks like these guys are pointed in the right direction. I know it can get derailed w/ a heartbreaking loss in the opener, followed by a beatdown by the Pats, so no need to go on that tangent. Let's just enjoy what we saw: a game where the Bills excelled in nearly every facet of the game and gave their fans hope. Only 5 more days, folks. I'll see you @ "Home"!

That was a great writeup! Thanks for that! :worthy:

Great review Big Guy. Maybe you should have called it "Bills Central South?" BC is already spoken for in Central NJ as you well know! :thumbsup:

Lisa and I will be in the Mud Lot just to the right of the Fieldhouse this Sunday. Yep, I'll be cooking some wings!

Go Bills!

Excellent!

Glad to see a little more detail on those "controversial" (much debate here about the extent of the D's improvement) big runs. I attributed them to Carrington's inexperience. From my "untrained eye," it looks like he has difficulty disengaging from blockers. Seems he needs to work on improving his hand "defense."

Appreciate the detail on the O-line too. I think it's possible we'll see Hairston at RT at some point this season?

Go Bills!

Yes, it is finally here: football season!!! Gotta love this time of year! And, man, what a start to the season! I was just in awe of what the Bills were able to do. I watched the game @ home w/ a good friend and fellow Bills fan who (stupidly) moved to Baltihell and knew I had the Ticket, so we made our own Bills Central. We were both thinking: is this a dream? If so, I hope it continues for another few months.

Well, let's get into it, shall we? Here we go...

I'll start by sayin' that Ryan Fitzpatrick had a very solid outing in his first opener as the Bills' starter. Sure, he had a few miscues (poor throw on quick slant to Stevie Johnson @ the 6:54 mark of the second quarter, threw to a heavily covered Donald Jones @ the 5:47 mark of the second quarter when Brandon Flowers had good coverage down the sideline and they had safety help over top), but those plays were far outweighed by all the good things he did. Here's a few:

1. His 35 yard completion to David Nelson @ the 1:50 mark of the first quarter was sweet!

2. His 27 yard TD to Johnson @ the 1:02 mark of the first quarter was also nice; put it high where Stevie could grab it but to the outside shoulder where the DB had no play on it w/out interfering based on Johnson's body positioning.

3. His 13 yard quick strike to Johnson @ the 0:57 mark of the second quarter to beat the blitz was very nice as well.

4. His 17 yard toss to David Nelson on the first play of the third quarter was very good. Right over the shoulder, and the receiver caught it in stride.

5. One of my favorite throws of the day: his 4 yard bullet to Jones for the TD @ the 0:19 mark of the third quarter. He put great zip on it, as he had to for that kind of quick route in the end zone. It was a hint (JUST a hint!) of Favre, Elway kinda touch.

What a game for Fred Jackson! He had some truly insipring runs in that game. Looks like someone was makin' a statement to management 'bout his true worth to the team!! He does owe his offensive line major props (we will address this later), but he had plenty of times where his effort was the difference in the play, too. He had a beauty of a cutback run on the first drive (14:16 mark of the first quarter) and exploded through a nice hole made by a great block by guard Kraig Urbik (10:28 mark of the first quarter). The second half was his time to shine, as he had a great 14 yard run early in the third quarter (14:30 mark) and had perhaps his second best run of the day in my (meaningless) opinion @ the 10:11 mark of the third quarter on a play that featured a series of excellent blocks (more later). Why the second best, you say? Well, I say that 'cause I believe his best run was late in the second quarter, @ the 0:48 mark. W/ the Bills needin' one yard, Jackson got hit two yards deep in the backfield by Chiefs LB Derrick Johnson, but he recovered, shook off another tackle attempt, and then carried Flowers on his back in order to get the yard needed for the first down. It reminded me of the effort Marshawn Lynch made to get a couple yards in the home opener vs Denver a few years ago. It was sweet to watch! In addition to Jackson's efforts, there were some good plays by rookie Jonny White (nice run for 13 yards @ the 9:30 mark of the fourth quarter) and FB Corey McIntire (forced the fumble on the opening kickoff, had a beautiful chip block on Chiefs LB Tamba Hali on Fitzpatrick's TD pass to Johnson @ the 1:02 mark of the first quarter).

The receivers made some stellar plays in this one, too. Johnson's leaping TD catch, Nelson's previously mentioned 35 yard completion, and Jones' 4 yard TD catch all were nice plays by this young and talented unit, but by far the biggest surprise and best showing came from TE Scott Chandler! What a game! A Bills TE w/ not only catches, but a 13 yard per catch average AND a pair of TDs??? Wow!! His catch @ the 11:46 mark of the second quarter showed he has soft hands and good body control. He also showed his prowess as a blocker, making some solid blocks highlighted by a lead block on S Jon McGraw on Jackson's 24 yard run in the third quarter (10:11 mark). I hope this was just the beginning of Chandler's contributions to the offense.

Now on to our unsung heroes of the day: the offensive line. A much beleaguered line, for sure. These guys have been bagged on by many (myself included) and have seen little love on TBD. Well, they get plenty of love for their effort in this one. Overall, this was a very good performance by the line. It wasn't perfect, but we'll take it. I will point out that I wasn't overly thrilled by the game RT Erik Pears had. He wasn't awful, but he had some gaffes. For example, he did get driven back 'bout 4 yards by Chiefs DE Tyson Jackson @ the 10:28 mark of the first quarter (***BUT*** Jackson was able to get yards due to a great block by Urbik) and he had a play in the second quarter (11:01 mark) where he actually whiffed on not one, not two, but THREE blocks! Here's how it went down: First, he missed a double team block w/ Urbik on DE Allen Bailey, then he went after Johnson and totally missed 'em, and finally, he went for a crackback block on S Sabby Piscatelli, missed 'em, and allowed Piscatelli to make the tackle. Seriously. Of course, he also gave up the sack to Hali @ the 12:20 mark of the third quarter. Now, that said, Pears wasn't w/out his successes, too. On the very next play after the triple whiff (10:20 mark of second quarter), he made a nice kickout block of LB Cameron Sheffield and he also stopped Jackson cold on Fitzpatrick's 16 yard throw to Chandler @ the 7:29 mark of the third quarter. How 'bout his counterpart on the other side, the very much beleaguered LT Demetrius Bell? I saw plenty of good stuff from 'em. Start off w/ the fact that he pretty much held Hali, who had 14.5 sacks last season and destroyed the Bills on Halloween, in check. From there, he showed some impressive stuff in RUN blocking too! For instance, he threw a great kickout block on a 2nd and goal play @ the 13:04 mark of the first quarter. A few plays before that (14:16 mark of first quarter), he took DE Glenn Dorsey out to allow a nice 7 yard cutback run by Jackson. On the Bills' first play (14:50 mark of first quarter), Bell threw a great kickout block on Hali that, combined w/ Andy Levitre's blocking, created a hole big enough for Jackson to pick up 9 yards on. Great stuff. I hope Bell continues to improve in this area. Speaking of Levitre, what a game he had! Here's a few highlight plays he had:

1. He had a play @ the 14:30 mark of the third quarter where he took out Dorsey and Johnson, clearing a path for Jackson to run for 14 yards. It was very impressive.

2. He walled off Dorsey (@ the 10:11 mark of the third quarter) while Bell kicked out Johnson, Urbik pulled to take out Hali, and Chandler pulled to throw the nice lead block on McGraw.

3. He pulled to make a great lead block on Piscatelli (9:39 mark of third quarter) as Jackson gained another 9 yards.

Besides Levitre, Urbik also made some nice plays. He had the one mentioned earlier, but also did well in pass protection like the rest of 'em. Wood seemed to be settled in @ center and held his own. He and Levitre cleared a nice path for a 4 yard gain on 2nd and goal @ the 13:04 mark of the first quarter. He did get beat by Johnson @ the 2:35 mark of the first quarter on a play that forced WR Brad Smith to reverse field on a Wildcat running play that was stuffed. Still, a very good overall performance by this entire unit.

The defensive line? Outstanding as well! I think the difference was the play of rookie DL Marcell Dareus. Man, did he look very good out there! Here's a few of his highlights:

1. He actually was double teamed early on in the game. It was @ the 11:13 mark of the first quarter where I saw Chiefs C Casey Wiegmann actually come off his guy to help out and double team Dareus. The guy he was blocking? Kyle Williams! That was ridiculous.

2. Just one play later, @ the 11:08 mark of the first quarter, Dareus pressured Chiefs QB Matt Cassel and forced 'em into a sack.

3. He made a brilliant stop @ the 13:52 mark of the second quarter on a play that gained just one yard.

4. He shed his blocker and dropped RB Jamaal Charles for just a 2 yard gain on a play @ the 5:28 mark of the second quarter.

5. He blew into the backfield @ the 10:44 mark of the third quarter and forced Cassel to get rid of the ball on a quick throw to TE Leonard Pope that lost 2 yards.

He did have the one gaffe in the fourth quarter (14:25 mark) that cost the team a stop on third down, but other than that, it was a standout debut by the big guy. Kyle Williams was able to pressure the QB for most of the game and they also got good inside pressure from Spencer Johnson. Johnson and Williams teamed up to come up w/ a sack @ the 12:16 mark of the second quarter and put the Chiefs in long FG range (Ryan Succop missed) after they nearly got a TD from Pope that was overturned on review. Alex Carrington did have a few bad plays on running downs, as he seemed to have trouble settin' the edge. He got sucked inside twice on plays that went for big yards: the first one @ the 0:55 mark of the first quarter on a 22 yard Charles run and the second one was @ the 3:56 mark of the second quarter on a 23 yard run by Dexter McCluster. He did provide the pressure that led to Cassel throwing the pick to Drayton Florence @ the 14:12 mark of the fourth quarter though.

If there was a unit that you could say had a "decent" showing, it would be the linebackers. Not that they didn't contribute anything to this one, but overall as a unit, they weren't quite as solid as the DL or DBs. Nick Barnett was the guy the cameras caught chasin' Charles on the 22 yard run (0:55 mark of the first quarter), but he was comin' from the hash mark, as the only person on that edge was Carrington. Barnett got chipped, which allowed Charles to slip past 'em. Where was the OLB on that one? Barnett did get beat on a 3rd and 4 play @ the 14:23 mark of the second quarter when Chiefs TE Jake O'Connell slipped into the middle after Barnett got caught peekin' into the backfield. O'Connell gained 15 yards on that play. There weren't many embarrASSing plays by this unit, but there also weren't many eye catchin' "Wow!" plays, either. Chris Kelsay was better than I expected, especially against the run. No examples come to mind, but he wasn't a liability and actually held his ground well. It seemed the only few times the Chiefs had success runnin' @ the Bills was when the Bills had their "rush lineup" in, where Batten and Merriman were down linemen w/ Johnson and Carrington as rush linemen (this is where Carrington was sucked inside w/ no help outside).

The play of the secondary can be summed up by the fact that the Chiefs passing game was no factor in this one. Also, the big surprise was the marked improvement in tackling by this unit! In particular, safety Jairus Byrd, who was a glaring liability in run support last year. Not in this game, he wasn't! Byrd had a great open field tackle @ the 7:43 mark of the first quarter, stopping a play for 6 yards that could've easily been 36. He had another one @ the 2:55 mark of the second quarter after Charles beat Spencer Johnson on a cutback run. Bryan Scott also had some nice open field tackles, one @ the 4:27 mark of the second quarter to limit the run to 4 yards and an impressive one @ the 3:55 mark of the third quarter for a one yard loss. George Wilson did have a bad missed tackle on Pope's 18 yard catch @ the 12:09 mark of the first quarter, but he did have that forced fumble on a big hit @ the 6:37 mark of the second quarter and had a play where he got pressure and knocked the Cassel pass back to Cassel for a 4 yard loss @ the 11:16 mark of the third quarter. Leodis McKelvin was a busy man, as he had to keep Chiefs WR Dwayne Bowe from becoming a factor. Well, mission accomplished! He had a play @ the 5:31 mark of the first quarter where he made a great open field tackle on Bowe, limiting the catch to a gain of 2 yards. He nearly made a nice catch for a pick @ the 5:32 mark of the second quarter w/ an excellent break on the ball. Florence had the nice pick @ the 14:12 mark of the fourth quarter and nearly had a pick while blanketin' Chiefs WR Jerheme Urban on a deep route @ the 0:02 mark of the third quarter. Rookie Aaron Williams got caught gamblin' on the Charles TD @ the 1:51 mark of the second quarter. Gotta either go full out to get there to make the pick/break up the pass or get ready to knock Charles silly to get that ball out. It'll come, rook.

Brian Moorman was boomin' his punts again. His first went for 63 yards and he added a 59 yarder later on. Hopefully, this means he's back to form and not anglin' kicks which cost him and the Bills dearly last season. Rian Lindell wasn't called upon often, but when he was, he nailed the kicks. The coverage units were very good, coming up w/ the turnover on the opening kickoff and generally keepin' the Chiefs in poor field position all game. The return game had some hits and misses. Roscoe Parrish had a nice return in the third quarter where he just fielded the punt and made people miss on the fly. This is what made guys like Mel Gray and Vai Sikahema great return guys in their day. Keep it up, Roscoe.

Coaching wise, you gotta give props to Chan Gailey and whoever else decided to use Scott Chandler in the passing game. Man, has it been ages since we've seen a Bills tight end be a factor in a game. Lovin' it! Also, George Edwards can take a bow as well. The defense played w/ attitude and, more importantly, w/ better fundamentals. There were so many great open field tackles and so many times where guys were just in their corect position. It was refreshing to see. I do kinda take 'em to task for the decision to shut it down @ the end of the first half, right after Jackson made such a brilliant play to get the first down and w/ the Bills havin' a pair of time outs to use. Oh, and that's another thing: the Bills didn't squander timeouts???????

I agree, and the only thing I would add is that I was impressed with their dicipline. Penalties were not costly, and I think they had only 4 or 5 all game. Penalties, and turnovers have killed us in past years, and if they can just keep this to a minimum that alone would be a big improvement.

Tim-

Nice stuff Rich. It was a very unusal game for the Bills. Gailey deserves a ton of credit for knowing when to be conservative and when to be daring. Pretty much everything he called seemed to work.

This was a game where stats meant little. For instance, Brad Smith made key first downs. Dareus and Kelsay didn't show up big on paper, but there was constant pressure. And remember, Gailey actually removed many starters, which I thought was an extremely smart move. Guys like Batten and the rookie running back need some reps. The stat that mattered most (besides the score) was T.O.P. We dominated the clock. It was a thing of beauty. :thumbsup:

As a Bills Fan it is always hard to know what to expect, but I sure am happy now, and think/hope that we can put away the Raiders and be 2-0.

Excellent review as always. The only thing I can say in Carrington's defense is if the let him play the position they drafted him for, perhaps these type of mistakes wouldn't happen. Did he have more reps at rusholb or his natural position de?

I only saw him in at DE.

Whatever happened to Fake Fat Sunny? I can only imagine that he started responding to a post in 2009 and hasn't finished yet.

I R still here as a reversal of the name of where the buck truly stops.

However, I like most fans (I suspect) have had feelings renewed which I had begun to forget how good they felt.

The game was so fantastic to see us win going away that I have no prob at all ignoring the case that the game was so uncompetitive as to make the entertainment simply be enjoyimg the Bills efficient demolition of the Chiefs.

Heck, I am even happy to give Pears props for being so with it mentally that he could even miss three correct blocking attemots on one play (we still need to upgrade the position because he missed but it really is impressive that he had the right idea but poorly executed three times in one play.

Rich- a fantastic job of analysis with incrediby helpful sites of clock times. It reduces my missing of Lori down to merely missing her hearfelt love but the substance is not missed as you are providing a welcome dose!

I owe deep apo;ogies to Chandler as I had advocated simply St. Louis Ramming the TE position and go more with Roscoe in the slot. This move would have been disastrous as it is clear that the OL needs TE help quite often, but it would have cost us the game as Gailey correctly diagmosed and Chandler executed grandly the Chiefs' TE vulknerability.

I have no complaints about the game (I will leave that to the idiots at WGR) but I do have some suggestions of improvements I hope to see (and also some apologies from this fan for not believing hard enough.

OL- Tremendous production! I am overjoyed that I appear to have been wrong that this team was a player and a half short of even mere OL adequacy. The Bills coaches did a great job of getting huge performance out this unit which more than did enough to allow Fred Jackson's running excellence and Fitzy's solid enough and quick decision making on the pass game shine.

I srill have quesstions about the simple quality of play of many of our OL stalwarts, but give great credit as credit is due to the OL position coaches and to the players themselves for demonstrating effective chemistry in game one. its way to early for this fan to declare victory (one case is merely and incident, two cases may in fact only be a coincidence, and you need to see the same thing happen at least three times to reasonably declare it a trend.

There are miles to go, but still one MUST be productive one time in order for you to have any possibility of being productive two times.

The effective work was a combination of factors including Firzy's solid and quick decision-making (his physical limitations still exist but what football is all about Charlie Brown if players overcoming their individual physical limitations from Fluties height (or lack thereof ) to Montana's less than physically imposing stature to still achieve great results), Jackson's dogged and tough running, the OL chemistry and most of all in my mind, great playcalling and set-up by Gailey (who once again showed he has forgotten more than most of us armchair fans know about offense.

Scoring over 40 on the road against a team which made the playoffs last year is simply scoring over 40 on the road against a team which made the playoffs last year.

TE- Again props and my abject apologies to Chandler. That being said, my suspicion is that the great use of the TE in this game was due to the Chiefs having a specific flaw in their D coverage which Gailey saw that they singled the TE or even left an opening that the smart TE and O could exploit to leave the TE uncovered in the redzone.

I suspect that the Raiders and future opponents will skew their coverage to account for Chandler but this will create an opportunity for Jackson/Spiller to be utilized in the passing game more OR for the WRs to face more single coverage and they and Fitzy will be called upon to step up.

Opponent TEs- I count us fortunate that the Chiefs stud TE was out with an injury and that Pope and their back-ups were simply not good enough to exploit a TE coverage problem we had. In the actual game a limited talent like Pope was able to burn us a couple of times on what fortumately turned out to be short passes early on and later the Chiefs had a TD taken away from them by the camera review when their back-up backk-up TE could not hold onto the ball.

What was the problem we had with the gap we had in TE coverage which fortunately KC was not able to exploit because they had a TE drop a pass originallt ruled a TD?

My sense is that this game tells us little beyond the need for every player to keep improving their game.

I am psyched.