Beating the Raiders

RevWarRifleman

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stopping the run is key, and Dareus gets to go after his first game ball as they pound it out on the ground. Campbell will get some scrambles and we have to make sure that they are five yard gains with containment and not 20 up the sideline. I'm not impressed with their passing game, and if we can get a lead it will make a big difference. The penalties for them are part of their football culture and we can count on.

I think they are weaker than last year (especially pass defense, so a good setup for Fitz).

Last year on the road they got crushed by Tennessee, lost to Arizona, lost to the Texans, lost to the 49ers, crushed a terrible Denver team, got crushed by the Steelers, lost to Jacksonville, beat the Chargers, and then beat the Chiefs after the Chiefs had clinched the division.

So their road wins when they had a stronger team were: beating a terrible Denver team. beating the Chargers after an hour flight in the same time zone, and winning the last weekend of the season against a Chiefs team resting players before the playoffs. Not exactly an impressive showing, and the short week and travel I think will definitely play to our advantage.

If we play a good game we will be 2-0 and should be favored going in. But this will be a bigger test for our O-Line and our run defense, two of our big question marks that we are feeling good about after week 1, but have a long way to go to prove that we are that good.

This matches what I saw last night. I also saw a preseason game against NO, and when the starters were still in, Raiders were all over NO. Brees was running for his life, NO couldn't run the ball, Raiders were running at will, and Campbell looks much better with lots of time.

We can beat them, but we must take them seriously.

Well put. They are a GOOD team. They can cover the pass, have a great front 7. We will need some of Gailey's trickery to win this one. We have to keep the defense on their heels all game and guessing as to what we are doing. On the defensive side of the ball, the DB's are going to have to create saks through great coverage. They have fast WR's, and their O-line is good. I would focus on one part of their line and blitz there. Their line committed several holding penalities last night. Also, I would trash talk the raiders as they have a tendancy to try to engage in shoving, etc. Let them rack up 15 yard penalities like they did last night and use that field position.

Edited by RyanC883

Not really sure what to make of the Raiders. I didn't watch the whole game last night (only the first and 4th qrtrs), but in some ways, they may be like the Bills, in that they are not as bad as people assume, who don't ever watch them. I like the Bills chances Sunday, cuz, under Chan, with the exception of the last game of last season, I think this team plays hard, and is ready most every Sunday. They are at home, in front of awesome fans, in their home opener...that said, the Raiders will be a good test for our offensive line...they have a pretty decent defensive front seven, it looks to me. And McFadden is no slouch running the ball.

I think the Raiders are going to be a great test for the Bills, but still give them the chance to win. The Raiders excel at two things, getting pressure with their front 4 and a great running game. But, that's about all they have going for them. They will either eat the Bills up on those two fronts, or we will show that we've made progress and win the game in the other facets of the game.

Should be fun. Can't wait to be there.

It's a qb driven league. Doesn't surprise me too much...

I get what you're saying, but even in a qb driven league your goal should be to get your #1 RB at least 15-20 carries a game more often than not, if for no other reason than to keep the defense off balance. I realize Freddie hasn't always been the #1, but that was kind of the point of my post.

I get what you're saying, but even in a qb driven league your goal should be to get your #1 RB at least 15-20 carries a game more often than not, if for no other reason than to keep the defense off balance. I realize Freddie hasn't always been the #1, but that was kind of the point of my post.

Very true. I think Freddy is our most dangerous offensive weapon. He defines versatile. Able to run for yards, 3rd and shorts, as well as catch the ball in the flat, and pick up huge blitzes to help Fitz.

Unfortunately, most dominant teams win championships by gun slinging

Simple

Run blitz, be aggressive on defense but keep your responsibility. The 3-4 will fair better than Denvers 4-3, their guards are fairly athletic and will get to the 2nd level, our ILBS have to shed blockers.

On offense, stretch the defense on running plays, and a lot of draws, they are overly aggressive. On passing plays, the short passing game is key. The two olbs are not natural cover guys, 2 running back sets with Jackson or spiller motioning into the slot will create match up problems, also Chandler will have to catch at least 6 passes.

Hit them first, whistle blows, give them a bump, they will hit back, its cheap but if we don't they will.

Did you miss the word "critical" in his post? I'd hardly call 5 for 30 an undisciplined outing.

Neither would I, but I'm not going to sit around and say that our lack of penalties was important either. We had 5 penalties, it didn't hurt us, but that many certainly doesn't help us.

I hate to poop in everyones Flutie flakes, but the Raiders are the visigoths of the NFL. These guys are straight-up thugs. I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm actually concerned for Fitz's safety here. Richard Seymour is a brutal, relentless, predator, and Rolando McClain's highlight reel looks like a promo for the UFC. These guys are big, physical, and very, very, beligerent. In my messed-up way of thinking, the only way to beat them, is to beat them up. I expect this game be a supreme test of physical prowess, and a wake-up call for our o-line. NOW would probably be a good time for Tyler Thigpen to start warming up.

Right? How is no one mentioning that after every third play someone on the Raiders was penalized for punching a Bronco? I have never seen a game with more personal fouls. Even (who was calling the game? that guy.) was getting irritated by all the "chippiness." How do you beat the Raiders? Don't punch back. Run a couple plays, get the ball moved to the red zone due to the inevitable three personal foul penalties, toss a td, repeat. Yes I'm being facetious, but a team that undisciplined simply cannot win against a team that keeps its head on straight

That being said, I am worried about that pass rush

If we are winning, we can give the ball to Freddy 20 times. If we are losing, gotta pass a lot. Freddy not getting 20 carries is a symptom of losing, not a cure for losing.

This mentality is what lost KC the game early, imo. They stopped running the ball even when they were only down by two scores.

I'm still nervous about the Raiders rushing attack. Charles averaged 5.6 yards per carry against the Bills. The KC rushing total was low because they just didn't run much against us, partly because Haley is too clever for his own good and partly because the score forced them to throw.

If I see McFadden and Bush getting stuffed at/near the LOS early in the game, I will start to feel confident about the final score.

Right? How is no one mentioning that after every third play someone on the Raiders was penalized for punching a Bronco? I have never seen a game with more personal fouls. Even (who was calling the game? that guy.) was getting irritated by all the "chippiness." How do you beat the Raiders? Don't punch back. Run a couple plays, get the ball moved to the red zone due to the inevitable three personal foul penalties, toss a td, repeat. Yes I'm being facetious, but a team that undisciplined simply cannot win against a team that keeps its head on straight

That being said, I am worried about that pass rush

I'd have to agree that 135 yards in Raiders penalties will not help them beat the Bills, despite Hue Jackson's 'philosophy' that...

"The most violent team wins" - Hue Jackson

(link)

That said, the Bills are much bigger on both sides of the ball than last year's roster - tougher as well, at every position, I think. I agree that we can't get stupid with the retaliation penalties, but no way do I see any Bills player backing down from those recidivist thugs...

Buffalo 53

ChokeLand - 0

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

post-2970-019505300 1315930675_thumb.gif

Edited by The Senator

It starts with attitude imo!! F*ck the raiders and honestly that's how I feel! We kick ass and take names. Ill say the same thing about DMC that I said about JC....go get him! I got something for your ass today! And that goes for anyone else on the raiders team who is considered good!

I've never been one to shun from the best in my lifetime and I hope the bills feel the same. you come to the Ralph and get punched right in your mouth. However, we don't stop. We continue to play smash mouth ball.

A&E! Attitude and execution is the key. Its not that I discredit the raiders for the things they do well. Its just that I think were a better team! And if you're not the Bills then....... F*ck you! I know its early fellas, but that's how I feel!

Every game is taken serious. Teams like oakland, you take their heart out of their chest from the kickoff. Just like we did KC.

THE NATION RISES!!

love the enthusiasm! you could play for my team!

Edited by hondo in seattle