Nick Barnett

Shawn Merriman

Terrance McGee

Leodis McKelvin

Jarius Bryd

George Wilson

5 new starters and much much better IMO

GO BILLS

One of us can't count ... but I'm thinking it's me.

Four or five?

The starters are much better.

Further improvement will also come from the development of 2nd year players Moats, Batten, Troup, Carrington.

Further improvement will also come from highly-regarded rookies (not mentioned in original post) Williams, Sheppard, Searcy, Chris White, and Justin Thomas.

Further improvement will also come from new veteran depth in the form of Kirk Morrison.

Defensively the team has upgraded 4 starting positions and 4-5 backup positions.

Just to balance out the optimism a bit…

The last piece the team needs to have a great defense IMO is another premier pass rusher.

I'm on board with the Aaron Williams pick in the 2nd round but prize pass rushers drafted by other teams this year have looked excellent in preseason… Jabbal Sheard and Brooks Reed were both available at the Williams pick. I wanted Sheard with our 2nd pick.

I'm also on board with the Kelvin Sheppard pick in the 3rd round but prize pass rusher Justin Houston was available when we picked Kelvin Sheppard. Houston, like Sheard and Reed, has looked good and we'll see him first hand tomorrow when he suits up for the Chiefs.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Plus there are some of those guys that were playing hurt and severely limited their effectiveness......

Also....while the intent of this thread is the starters i think its important to point out that the direct backups are upgraded as well.....Danny Batten should be starting over kelsay.......williams is a quality corner off the bench........we have a solid starting backup free agent behind davis.......

So its even better then that.....if we unfortunately take a hit we have some quality BEHIND the improved starters

Why is everyone forgetting about Kirk Morrisson?

Further improvement will also come from the development of 2nd year players Moats, Batten, Troup, Carrington.

Further improvement will also come from highly-regarded rookies (not mentioned in original post) Williams, Sheppard, Searcy, Chris White, and Justin Thomas.

Further improvement will also come from new veteran depth in the form of Kirk Morrison.

Defensively the team has upgraded 4 starting positions and 4-5 backup positions.

The last piece the team needs to have a great defense IMO is another premier pass rusher.

I'm on board with the Aaron Williams pick in the 2nd round but prize pass rushers drafted by other teams this year have looked excellent in preseason… Jabbal Sheard and Brooks Reed were both available at the Williams pick. I wanted Sheard with our 2nd pick.

I'm also on board with the Kelvin Sheppard pick in the 3rd round but prize pass rusher Justin Houston was available when we picked Kelvin Sheppard. Houston, like Sheard and Reed, has looked good and we'll see him first hand tomorrow when he suits up for the Chiefs.

I likes sheard too but I trust that Wanny had a good read on him. If they truly liked anyone to get after theqb consistently I think they wouldve been the choice.

I likes sheard too but I trust that Wanny had a good read on him. If they truly liked anyone to get after theqb consistently I think they wouldve been the choice.

Absolutely… Wanny is undoubtedly a Sheard authority seeing as he recruited and coached him.

OTOH, Sheard is starting in Cleveland so Wanny's input may or may not have had to do with the Bills 2nd round decision.

My point is that while I like Williams, it bears watching Sheard and Brooks just as I will always compare Sheppard's career to Justin Houston's.

I sure hope Williams and Sheppard are special players. You DO have to draft at least one cornerback every year because 60% of all plays from scrimmages are passing plays.

The Bills didn't draft a cornerback last year so this year they drafted two. I get it and I hope we took the right player. Early returns are encouraging. Williams made some acrobatic interceptions in camp and he looks to be a cross between Antoine Winfield and Nate Clements… very physical and athletic.

Absolutely… Wanny is undoubtedly a Sheard authority seeing as he recruited and coached him.

OTOH, Sheard is starting in Cleveland so Wanny's input may or may not have had to do with the Bills 2nd round decision.

My point is that while I like Williams, it bears watching Sheard and Brooks just as I will always compare Sheppard's career to Justin Houston's.

I sure hope Williams and Sheppard are special players. You DO have to draft at least one cornerback every year because 60% of all plays from scrimmages are passing plays.

The Bills didn't draft a cornerback last year so this year they drafted two. I get it and I hope we took the right player. Early returns are encouraging. Williams made some acrobatic interceptions in camp and he looks to be a cross between Antoine Winfield and Nate Clements… very physical and athletic.

I agree as well with Williams. I think he's going to be really good but understand the Sheard and Reed arguments. Even more I am not sure why we wouldn't take a shot at DQuan Bowers. This guy was projected to be top 5-10 if not for the injury. It was a reap home run pick IMO. Not much to lose IMO. If you miss on a 3rd round pick then no big deal, if you hit on it it's HUGE. It's ok at this point because we really needed more solid players to come in and be players not hopefulls. Maybe next year were in a position to take a few more shots like this. Anyway. I'm so stoked for 1pm it's not funny. Kill the Chiefs!!! Go Bills!!!

I agree as well with Williams. I think he's going to be really good but understand the Sheard and Reed arguments. Even more I am not sure why we wouldn't take a shot at DQuan Bowers. This guy was projected to be top 5-10 if not for the injury. It was a reap home run pick IMO. Not much to lose IMO. If you miss on a 3rd round pick then no big deal, if you hit on it it's HUGE. It's ok at this point because we really needed more solid players to come in and be players not hopefulls. Maybe next year were in a position to take a few more shots like this. Anyway. I'm so stoked for 1pm it's not funny. Kill the Chiefs!!! Go Bills!!!

Wouldve had to take bowers at 34, no?

Bowers was a 2nd rd pick. Missing on them hurts. Badly. I would've been happy if we drafted bowers, as he is talented. The problem with him is his motor and injury. He was the #1 player coming out of HS, but wasn't an impact player til his final year. He was the one guy I didnt want in the first round, but his potential in the 2nd was intriguing. In retrospect, I'm happy with the pick. I think Williams will make some big plays for us in the future. Great cover corners are just as important as a good pass rusher in today's game. Im sure people will disagree with that statement, but that's how I see it. If he can be a #1, it'll be a steal.

Plus there are some of those guys that were playing hurt and severely limited their effectiveness......

Also....while the intent of this thread is the starters i think its important to point out that the direct backups are upgraded as well.....Danny Batten should be starting over kelsay.......williams is a quality corner off the bench........we have a solid starting backup free agent behind davis.......

So its even better then that.....if we unfortunately take a hit we have some quality BEHIND the improved starters

Tell me why everybody but the coaches think anybody but Kelsey should be starting?

I like Batten, and he has shown some flashes, but really?

Another point ... Drayton Florence will be the first CB off of the bench if he is not starting within a few weeks.

I'd have to include second year in the defense as a helper too, even though there was no offseason. Wanny may help the game planning a little bit, but without the offseason I think he won't have the effect he could have.

Bowers was a 2nd rd pick. Missing on them hurts. Badly. I would've been happy if we drafted bowers, as he is talented. The problem with him is his motor and injury. He was the #1 player coming out of HS, but wasn't an impact player til his final year. He was the one guy I didnt want in the first round, but his potential in the 2nd was intriguing. In retrospect, I'm happy with the pick. I think Williams will make some big plays for us in the future. Great cover corners are just as important as a good pass rusher in today's game. Im sure people will disagree with that statement, but that's how I see it. If he can be a #1, it'll be a steal.

that's the same way I feel. Personally I think Williams will be the better pick of the 2 players Im just saying Bowers was a potential dominant pass rusher and was available on the cheap. I'm glad it was Williams and I wasn't one of those "what are you doing drafting another CB" people. Truth is well probably grab one in rounds 2-3 next year as well as they will see that McKelvin isn't better than average and McGee will most likely be done with ANOTHER injury this year. I hope I'm wrong though.

Happy Football Day!!! Best holiday of the year.

GO BILLS!!!

I gotta say I do love every part of the defense but Drayton Florence.........the guy can tackle.......maybe i just catch his bad games but every time i look up he is getting beat........San Diego days now days with us......Prove me wrong Drayton.......Lets go Bills! I am ready to lose my sh^% over Dareus's first sack soon...

Dwan Edwards

Kyle Williams

Marcus Stroad

Chris Kelsey

Andra Davis

Paul Posulsny

Chris Ellis

Terrance McGee

Donte Whitner

Jarius Byrd

Leodis McKelvin

Dwan Edwards

Kylw Willams

Marcell Dareus

Chris Kelsey

Andra Davis

Nick Barnett

Shawn Merriman

Terrance McGee

Leodis McKelvin

Jarius Bryd

George Wilson

4 new starters and much much better IMO

GO BILLS

Along with all this, you can't overlook the effectiveness Dave Wannsteadt(however the hell you spell his name) is going to have on the defense as a whole, compared to last year. I like what I see and a lot of people are going to have the shiit surprised right out of them with this years defensive unit.