Fitzy

billsfaninvgs

Perhaps you should change your screen name to PavlovsDog?

At least, the response to any positivity about Fitz is starting to seem Pavlovian

Instead of bashing my personal opinion, how about coming up with some evidence to show that my opinion is incorrect?

I'd be happy to see it. I think Fitz does a lot of things well and he is the best starter we've had since Jim Kelly. I just don't believe he is or ever will be anything but mediocre. I hope I'm wrong.

I think there is a reason that this is his first opening weekend start. He's not very good. He's a great backup an mediocre (at best) starter.

There's no professional sports learning curve greater than that of becoming a winning, championship calibre NFL quarterback. There are many QBs who's curve was a long one, yet were able to have it click in and win their team a Superbowl. Kurt Warner and Drew Brees are just two off the top of my head that I could mention.

I suggest you go and compare Fitzpatrick's 2010 season to all the other ones. Fitzpatrick was clearly a different player. It was clear that "the light came on." So your pessimism seems somewhat unwarranted. I could see if he played like crap half the time then you'd have a good point. But he didn't. He kept them in nearly every game and this was without a defense, a running game, a tight end…ect.

Fitzpatrick now has to take the progressional next step and start beating good teams, beating rivals like the Jets and Pats. This is what I'm expecting him to do and if he can't do it then the Bills will no doubt be drafting a QB with their first pick next year.

wow, you must be fun at parties

[HighFives] [LowFives] [Fistbump]

Instead of bashing my personal opinion, how about coming up with some evidence to show that my opinion is incorrect?

I'd be happy to see it. I think Fitz does a lot of things well and he is the best starter we've had since Jim Kelly. I just don't believe he is or ever will be anything but mediocre. I hope I'm wrong.

Now that's more like it!

This thread isn't about debating Fitz quality or stats. It started out wishing Fitz (the current Bills starter) luck in his first opening day:

"Someone just put on twitter that this is his first opening weekend start. I think that's pretty amazing. I hope he goes out and lights it up. "

Sorry, but in that context, your response looks really knee-jerk. Pavlov rings a bell. The dogs salivate.

Someone wishes Fitz well, not even arguing his quality or skill level. A "fan" here has to respond "he's not very good" "he's mediocre".

Can't we just give it a rest for a single thread and wish the guy luck and a good game?

He has them, you know, and always has from the very first game he walked on an NFL field:

310 yds passing, 19 of 30, 3 TD, 1 INT, and 23 yds rushing to cap it off. 10.3 YPA, 63% completion, 117.4 rating.

Fitz skills as a QB, stats, and performance in each game have been endlessly debated on this board last year and doubtless will be again, including by me. But not here. He can have amazing games, he's proven it over and over, let's wish him one Sunday!

Edited by Hopeful

There's no professional sports learning curve greater than that of becoming a winning, championship calibre NFL quarterback. There are many QBs who's curve was a long one, yet were able to have it click in and win their team a Superbowl. Kurt Warner and Drew Brees are just two off the top of my head that I could mention.

I suggest you go and compare Fitzpatrick's 2010 season to all the other ones. Fitzpatrick was clearly a different player. It was clear that "the light came on." So your pessimism seems somewhat unwarranted. I could see if he played like crap half the time then you'd have a good point. But he didn't. He kept them in nearly every game and this was without a defense, a running game, a tight end…ect.

Fitzpatrick now has to take the progressional next step and start beating good teams, beating rivals like the Jets and Pats. This is what I'm expecting him to do and if he can't do it then the Bills will no doubt be drafting a QB with their first pick next year.

Sorry. I didn't realize this was the "we love Fitz" post that didn't allow any opinions or statements that were not all overly positive. Give me a break. Fitz is in the NFL, not preschool. Tell it like it is. He is a career backup and deservedly so. Is it possible that he catches fire late in his career for a few years like Rich Gannon? Yes. Is it likely? No

Your comparisons to Warner and Brees are silly. Warner came out of nowhere. St Louis thought their season was going in the crapper when Green got hurt. Warner surprised everyone. He had not been a backup for several years like Fitz. And by the way, the Bills have nowhere near the talented team that St Louis had. And Brees was a better than Fitz from Day one of his career. The only reason he was traded from SD was the shoulder injury. At that point, nobody wanted him.

Kurt Warner's 1st opening day start was until he was 28 either. While some want to be pessimstic richards (realists <_< ), I'll be an optimistic homer.

It was and he had less NFL experience than Fitz and threw for 41 TDs his first year. He had also been tearing it up in the AFL and NFL Europe prior to that. It was not a sudden revelation at age 29 or a slow progression.

First of all, everyone is entitled to an opinion. Nobody's saying you or your opinion are wrong--neither prognostication nor opinion can be "wrong" just by their very nature.

But if it's evidence you want, how bout Fitz's first ever NFL start? Would that be an adequate indication? He was, after all, a rookie then.

November 27, 2005 Rams @ Texans

And for comparison purposes, another fella we know made an opening day premier that very same year, against that very same Texans team. He threw one TD...to Jason Peters.

September 11, 2005 Texans @ Bills

Sorry. I didn't realize this was the "we love Fitz" post that didn't allow any opinions or statements that were not all overly positive. Give me a break. Fitz is in the NFL, not preschool. Tell it like it is. He is a career backup and deservedly so. Is it possible that he catches fire late in his career for a few years like Rich Gannon? Yes. Is it likely? No

Your comparisons to Warner and Brees are silly. Warner came out of nowhere. St Louis thought their season was going in the crapper when Green got hurt. Warner surprised everyone. He had not been a backup for several years like Fitz. And by the way, the Bills have nowhere near the talented team that St Louis had. And Brees was a better than Fitz from Day one of his career. The only reason he was traded from SD was the shoulder injury. At that point, nobody wanted him.

Are you braindead? Go back and re-read the post to which you just responded, and then the original post. The thread was not an invitation to bash Fitz or tell us your "realistic" views on his abilities. It was a post noting this is Fitz' first opening weekend start, and wishing him good luck.

Either wish him luck or not, but there's no need to lift your leg on a harmless thread.

Give you a break? How about giving us a break? I was not mean to you in any way in my response and I did tell you exactly how it is. There was no sugar coating. The numbers don't lie. I also stated that he needs to show us more.

The number of starts from when their career's started to the "light coming on" with Brees and Fitzpatrick are nearly identical. Look it up. Though Brees' numbers were better in his first good year, Fitzpatrick still had shown big improvement in 2010 and that he has starting level talent (which is still on the upswing btw). Also Brees had LT, a defense, a TE, an OL. I'm not saying he has Brees level talent, but I do think Fitzpatrick very well could have Eli Manning level talent and that was obviously good enough for the Giants to beat the 17-0 Patriots. We will all see what happens in 2011. He either does it or the Bills draft a QB in 2012. So there really should be no hand wringing in regards to the Bills' QB situation.