Cut most shocking to you

Roosevelt.

Gailey waxed poetic, so I thought he was on the team for sure.

I don't believe Gailey lies, but he needs to be listened to with care. He can sound very positive about a player (and is probably sincere) , and one needs to pay attention to what he doesn't say, as well as EVERYTHING he says.

In Roosevelt's case, he said he isn't very big and he isn't very fast along with waxing poetic about what a good receiver he is despite those limitations. I believe in Gailey-speak that is saying "other things being equal we'd rather have guy we see as a good receiver who is bigger and faster".

In Naaman's case I believe several posters have it right, it was probably a combination of being injured at the wrong time, and perhaps Martin being a better ST guy that pushed him off.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me it was Coleman, but none of them were a huge shock. I'm actually surprised I wasn't more surprised. I understand not wanting Naaman Roosevelt to be released, but I don't see how anyone could be shocked by it. It was between him, Davis, Huggins, Aiken and Martin for basically one spot. A case could be made for any of them. I predicted Naaman would be #6 but not at all shocked. The ankle injury really hurt him.

Also, the last several spots on a roster have numerous elements all entering the equation. For example, if the Bills had decided to keep Corto, a S, they may very well have kept Roosevelt over Martin. But since Martin is an established ST, they can keep him and drop Corto, thus opening another spot for a guy they want to keep like, say, Moats and Eddins. So LB and S could ultimately be the reason they kept Martin over Roosevelt. It may not have been those specific players but Coaches and GMs look at the whole team, not just the individual position and player.

excellent analysis :thumbsup:

I would add, I still think there is at least one more move coming. We're thin on numbers (only 8) at our weakest position: the offensive line. There will be no frontline players available--every team can't have enough quality players there--but I would not be surprised if the BIlls pick up a just released o-lineman with some potential from somewhere.

And I hope that Coleman, Jasper, K. Aiken, and Naaman R. all make it to the practice squad . . . but again, there may be player or two from others teams the Bills have their eyes on.

I'm going with Shawn Nelson. Gifted athlete that could never get on the field.

Not upset at the cut, totally understandable. However it's always been a position of need and I thought he was the answer when we drafted him, shame it didn't work out.

he can go hang with James Hardy...hardy can clean his guns while Nelson reads the AMA journal looking for a cure....just didnt work out.

I am upset that they kept Thigpen & released Brown. Clearly Thigpen was outplayed by Brown in preseaon and Thigpen is not even close to being a quality NFL QB. If Fitz goes down & Thigpen is our guy, I'm not even sure I can watch.

This will be a very difficult team to watch this year.

Memo to Ralph: Sell the team now! Even though you're positioned to make even more $ this year, your product sucks--has, does, will in the future--just sucks. Your teams have a worse failure rate than intercity schools for (#%!$^ sake!

Why do we continue to buy your poor product, beats me.

Kelsay?? Not cut?, yet Hartengarter was? Gues money is reason we cut Hartengartner, so why not kelsay?>

This. All he knows is how to lose, and that's not the kind of influence I want in the locker room.. I will be more disappointed if/when he is named team captain again. :bag:

As for those who did get cut, probably Coleman, since I would've kept him over Kelsay. All the others are pretty irrelevant. Hangartner is a career scrub, and I won't miss the midget Corner either. I didn't go to UB, so I don't care about Naaman... and regardless of the pre-season, I would keep Thigpen over Levi,

It should not be Hangman. He was bad as a starter (rfanked 32nd in the league by one online publication, forget which one) and worse this year playing v the twos. I saw him get straight up planted on his ass V Detriot. I knew he was going to get cut.

I also dont know why people are suprised we cut Levi Brown. He was cut last year! then, no other team picked him up, and he wasnt even put on the practice squad! We only took him back because he knew our system after we ditched Trent. Like 'camp fooder' or he was 'season fodder' lol

I also dont get the idea fo drafting a late round CB (Rodgers) to replace another late round CB (Corner). Corner was OK and higher on the depth chart all pre season. Why not spend a 7th on a LB or OT that could one day play for us.

I'd say Coleman for sure. Considering how much PT he got with the ones/twos. He even played well I thought. Suprised they played him over a guy like Moats who I didnt even see on the field much (I am suprised they didnt leave moats outside though)

Edited by Thoner7

Most disappointed by the Jasper cut but it was the right decision. I posted previously that I don't believe another team will sign him to their 53-man roster because he's simply not ready for the NFL yet and no team can afford to waste a roster spot. He should be on the Bills' PS sometime today and we can look forward to his continued development.

Im not disappointed or surprised by any of the cuts. Jasper was a homers pipedream, and coleman lost the #s game. Other than that, ive got no complaints. Also, for those concerned with Chan favoring "his" guys, he cut Nesbitt, a player he recruited. Its not playing favorites, its choosing the better player. Thigpen has a larger sample of work and levi cleaely did nothing spectacular to move ahead of him.

I'm disappointed to see Mike Jasper & Josh Nesbitt not make the cut - hope they make they practice squad. Also wished Wang had stayed healthy and played well enough t stay. (Assuming Wang clears waivers, can the Bills the Bills add him to the PS?)

I think Wang is PS-eligible. The rule is <1 accrued season (6 games active or on IR), and I think Wang has more since he started the season on IR. But, then there is a clause if active for less than 9 games of that accrued season, still PS eligible, and I think Wang has less.

Why the Wang Love, though, Senator? I was concerned last fall when he couldn't crack an OL of guys off the street.

This spring he was pushed around by 2nd and 3rd stringers and just SCHOOLED any time he went against the 1sts . So I'm thinking, "nothing to see here, move along".

Jasper will be added to the PS if he clears, also Roosevelt, Kamar Aiken, Antonio Coleman. Not sure on the other two - thoughts?

I dont know what the deal with Hartgartner was, he played ok as our starting center but he had a relatively poor preseason, even against second strings. Maybe he had a poor attitude after being demoted or he took his job for granted, but he did not bring his a game while fighting for his job.

I dont know what the deal with Hartgartner was, he played ok as our starting center but he had a relatively poor preseason, even against second strings. Maybe he had a poor attitude after being demoted or he took his job for granted, but he did not bring his a game while fighting for his job.

I think you may have something. He may have taken his job for granted and not put out the extra effort the coaches wanted to see.

He clearly didn't perceive himself as fighting for a job.