Cut most shocking to you

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coleman, played his heart out. I would have kept him over Kelsay.

Coleman over Moats seems more reasonable to me. Coleman made more plays. Moats must be better on ST.

Cutting Hangman was a slight surprise just do to the lack of experienced backups. Looks like a cost cutting move on the surface.

Ruvell Martin over Roosvelt was surprising to me. Again, could be a ST move.

The Hangartner cut only further proves the organization is much more concerned with saving money than actually putting a competitive team on the field. I mean, he was a starting caliber Guard - not to mention capable of playing Center - and we let him go without any real certainty at RG, not to mention backup at C. If Wood gets hurt, what are they going to do?

As for other surprises - I think surprise isn't quite the right word, since I'm not surprised by anything any more with this team accept, maybe, if they actually went out and brought in upgrades and paid them competitively. Anyway, Coleman was a bit odd, because he is young and has shown he can play, and considering Kelsay's salary, I'd think they'd rather have Coleman over Kelsay.

It should not be Hangman. He was bad as a starter (rfanked 32nd in the league by one online publication, forget which one) and worse this year playing v the twos. I saw him get straight up planted on his ass V Detriot. I knew he was going to get cut.

I also dont know why people are suprised we cut Levi Brown. He was cut last year! then, no other team picked him up, and he wasnt even put on the practice squad! We only took him back because he knew our system after we ditched Trent. Like 'camp fooder' or he was 'season fodder' lol

I also dont get the idea fo drafting a late round CB (Rodgers) to replace another late round CB (Corner). Corner was OK and higher on the depth chart all pre season. Why not spend a 7th on a LB or OT that could one day play for us.

I'd say Coleman for sure. Considering how much PT he got with the ones/twos. He even played well I thought. Suprised they played him over a guy like Moats who I didnt even see on the field much (I am suprised they didnt leave moats outside though)

Agreed about Levi. He was considered a project last year but couldn't latch on. You'd have thought w/ the offseason training with the guys might have helped, but guess not.

I think they feel as if Rodgers simply has more upside than Corner, where he's probably plateaued. Easier to find an athlete at CB than it is on an OL (I think).

I for one didn't think Coleman was that great. I'm still kinda pissed w/ what they're doing to Moats. Hopefully at some point they start working him back to the outside as a situational rusher.

What he said. How does Kelsey make this team every year and a player like Coleman get cut???

Quite easily actually. I do not think anyone sees Coleman as anything but a journeyman LB, but the Bills FO sees Kelsay as a starter quality player at LB and even a starter quality player at DE.

I think the Bills overvalue the utility of Kelsay as a starter, but they are absolutely correct in judging Coleman to be back-up qualityon his good days.

My major complaint about Kelsay is not that he sucks so badly but that he is no where as good and consistent as the amount of salary cap he is allocated by the Bills.

I would feel very good about having Kelsay and pressing him into service as situations dictated as a DE with both hands on the ground who is stout against the run and through his constant motor sometimes gets a sack, but I think I could get that level of production from a far smaller cap hit.

Coleman is a nice guy and hard worker, but I would feel bad anytime we were forced to start him.

Kelsay ain't worth the money we pay him (he must remind Ralph of the son he always wanted or have pictures of Bettman in compromising positions) but there is little question that he is a far more valuable player than Coleman.

For me, that would be Hangartner. He can play center, he can play guard. Center is the lynchpin of the offense, if Wood goes down isn't it "death of the Bills News at 11" or at least "Death of FItzpatrick News at 11"?

I think unlike many fans here, the Bills staff has no plan on winning this year

Most surprising thing to me was Colin Brown making the squad. Quite frankly I never heard of him. I don't think anyone on the board has slammed him all preseason. Did he even play? The OL is terribly thin and Brown as part of the depth just helps prove how weak this group is.

Pears, Levitre and Wood have started at least 20 games each.

Bell, Urbik, Rhinehart, Brown & Hairston are hardly worth mentioning and none would make any roster in the AFC East with the possible exception of Hairston and that is only because he is a rookie and we don't know how bad he is yet.

This offense will be pathetic, many will blame that not having Lee is the reason, but the truth is that there is no offensive line. Lee may do better for a little while in Baltimore but once he gets his bell rung he will go into hiding again.

My take is we are well on our way to another dismal season and the offense will be putrid because of these 8 guys. What happens if Wood goes down for the season again? Can't even think about it.

Edited by jumbalaya

Kelsay ain't worth the money we pay him (he must remind Ralph of the son he always wanted or have pictures of Bettman in compromising positions) but there is little question that he is a far more valuable player than Coleman.

"Has a good reputation in the front office," is rather vague, isn't it? He's an average DE at his best and yet the Bills can't find a way forward past him. Makes you wonder what he actually does for that reputation. Get someone's coffee, donuts, and dry cleaning? Stay late turning off the lights to save Ralph some coin? B-)

Not really shocked that Wang and Hangartner were cut, but that they also cut Wrotto AND Howard was a "wow" for me. I figured at least one (probably Wrotto) would make it.

I have a feeling Roosevelt could be back sooner than you think.

Wrotto and Howard really looked bad against Detroit 2nd Stringers. There has to be somebody better than those 2 on waivers.

I am upset that they kept Thigpen & released Brown. Clearly Thigpen was outplayed by Brown in preseaon and Thigpen is not even close to being a quality NFL QB. If Fitz goes down & Thigpen is our guy, I'm not even sure I can watch.

I agree with your completely - Thigpen is just not going to work if we need someone to come in for Fitz. I guess the one positive is that there at least can't be a quarterback controversy as Fitz won't be looking over his shoulder at all

Roosevelt went to Camp Fitz in the summer. The kid wants to win. He deserved the 6th spot

That was my first thought when it was announced that Roosevelt was cut. Being native to Buffalo the kid gave it everything. He showed last year he can play. If the didnt pick up Ruvell Martin I would like to think he would have stayed.

Wasnt Geoff Hartgartner a captian last year?? Or am I making that up? That cut surprised me too.

Coleman over Moats seems more reasonable to me. Coleman made more plays. Moats must be better on ST.

Cutting Hangman was a slight surprise just do to the lack of experienced backups. Looks like a cost cutting move on the surface.

Ruvell Martin over Roosvelt was surprising to me. Again, could be a ST move.

I suspect those who finger ST play as the reason for Martin over Roosevelt and Moats over Coleman have it right.

Hangartner surprised me. Two possible explanations other than cost cutting:

Either the Bills want room to bring in some OL off waivers, or Hangartner thought he was "safe", wasn't putting out the sweat equity the coaches want to see, and they shot him "pour encourager les autres". Or both.

It's possible we have cost-cutters run amok. It also strikes me as possible that we're trying to make room for talented youngsters at the expense of talented players who don't quite work. Let's face it, Lee Evans has been wasted since Losman and his bomber arm hit the bench, and he just didn't seem to want to work short routes and over the middle. Trade him, we make room for talented (but unproven) young guys, we get a little something, Lee goes to a contender - it's all good! Hangartner was pushed around way too much. I'd like a better backup center, but either the coaches saw enough skill from one of the players they kept or (one hopes) the FO has a plan to bring someone in.

Edited by Hopeful

Most disappointed by the Jasper cut but it was the right decision. I posted previously that I don't believe another team will sign him to their 53-man roster because he's simply not ready for the NFL yet and no team can afford to waste a roster spot. He should be on the Bills' PS sometime today and we can look forward to his continued development.

Money, on that prediction eball - Jasper was put on the PS..

I was most surprised that Hangartner was cut - sure his game has slipped the past 2 years, but he was our most experienced backup center. They did sign a center Michael Switzer to the practice squad, but I don't know squat about him other than he played left guard in college and the Bills list him as a Center. I thought Coleman played more than well enough to earn a spot on the PS, but he wasn't on the announcement. He should catch on with another team somewhere.

Antonio Coleman being cut surprised me the most. I thought he was a goof player in college and then he started to really lift the level of his game this pre-season. I guess I have to respect the coaches decision though since they know a hell of a lot more than I do. I just don't know what I saw that they didn't...

I suspect those who finger ST play as the reason for Martin over Roosevelt and Moats over Coleman have it right.

Hangartner surprised me. Two possible explanations other than cost cutting:

Either the Bills want room to bring in some OL off waivers, or Hangartner thought he was "safe", wasn't putting out the sweat equity the coaches want to see, and they shot him "pour encourager les autres". Or both.

It's possible we have cost-cutters run amok. It also strikes me as possible that we're trying to make room for talented youngsters at the expense of talented players who don't quite work. Let's face it, Lee Evans has been wasted since Losman and his bomber arm hit the bench, and he just didn't seem to want to work short routes and over the middle. Trade him, we make room for talented (but unproven) young guys, we get a little something, Lee goes to a contender - it's all good! Hangartner was pushed around way too much. I'd like a better backup center, but either the coaches saw enough skill from one of the players they kept or (one hopes) the FO has a plan to bring someone in.

A very sensible response, but deserves special props for being perhaps the first reference to Voltaire in TSW history. Felicitations! :thumbsup: Et salut! :beer:

Hanggarther for sure... just look at the depthchart for the o-line... we're asking for trouble there....

LT Demetrius Bell

LG Andy Levitre Chad Rinehart Colin Brown

C Eric Wood

RG Kraig Urbik

RT Erik Pears Chris Hairston

According to the depth chart; no backup at Center, Left Tackle or Right Guard... Wow...

I assume the reality is, but still:

LT Demetrius Bell Andy Levitre Chris Hairston

LG Andy Levitre Chad Rinehart Colin Brown

C Eric Wood Andy Levitre Kraig Urbik

RG Kraig Urbik Chris Hairston Colin Brown

Should have been:

LT Demetrius Bell Andy Levitre Chris Hairston

LG Andy Levitre Chad Rinehart Geoff Hanggarther

C Eric Wood Geoff Hanggarther Andy Levitre

RG Kraig Urbik Geoff Hanggarther Chris Hairston

Edited by bladiebla

1 no one has mentioned bruce hall. 6.1 rushing average!!!!!

2 thigpen belongs in the pen. hes reminding me of rob "always get sacked" johnson

3 levi brown outshined thigpen by a long shot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! everytime he came in, we got better. are my eyes deceiving me. whats up?

4 big win at kc, is my wish, dont you see

1 no one has mentioned bruce hall. 6.1 rushing average!!!!!

2 thigpen belongs in the pen. hes reminding me of rob "always get sacked" johnson

3 levi brown outshined thigpen by a long shot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! everytime he came in, we got better. are my eyes deceiving me. whats up?

Bruce Hall was not released he was put on IR, out for the season but still on the Bills.

Thigpen, regardless of his pre-season play, is 10x the NFL QB that Levi Brown is at this stage. It's not even close.