Brohm following in JP's footsteps

Signed with the UFL's Las Vegas Locos

http://www.ufl-football.com/news/locomotives-add-ex-louisville-star-nfl-vet-brohm-qb-mix

If all goes well, maybe he'll sign with the Raiders after the UFL, following in the footsteps of Rob Johnson, J P Losman & Trent Edwards who all put on a Raiders uniform after their days with the Bills ended.

Edited by Albany,n.y.

Brohm was a strange case... had he come out early, he would've been a top 5 pick. For as highly touted as he was, it's bizarre that he didn't get to see the field more than he did. I had high hopes when we signed him, but it's almost like Maybin. He sucked so bad, he couldn't even get on the field.

Edited by Cotton Fitzsimmons

http://www.ufl-football.com/news/locomotives-add-ex-louisville-star-nfl-vet-brohm-qb-mix

If all goes well, maybe he'll sign with the Raiders after the UFL, following in the footsteps of Rob Johnson, J P Losman & Trent Edwards who all put on a Raiders uniform after their days with the Bills ended.

Fitzy and his biker beard will look at home in a raiders uniform some day

Didn't Losman play for the Seahawks and not the Raiders?

Strong Buffalo connection there as besides JP and Brohm but Drew Wily was a member of the University at Buffalo Bulls.

Brohm was a strange case... had he come out early, he would've been a top 5 pick. For as highly touted as he was, it's bizarre that he didn't get to see the field more than he did. I had high hopes when we signed him, but it's almost like Maybin. He sucked so bad, he couldn't even get on the field.

Im convinced there's more to the story. I've gotten posts edited talking about it before as I don't have links but I'm guessing there's some off field issues that might date back to college and playing hurt. Nothing I've heard documented publicly, beyond some comments on "partying" a bit too much.... but some whispers out there. Bobby petrino then went on to put ryan mallett on his resume. Would explain everything that's gone down the last few years. Big slide, straight to practice squad, new team and quickly out of the league? He was too talented to hit the bricks that quickly without there being more to the story.

Didn't Losman play for the Seahawks and not the Raiders?

Was a raider for a couple games first

Edited by NoSaint

I remember when Brohm said he came to Buffalo to compete for the starting job. And (for reasons I never understood), there were Bills fans who passionately wanted him to start.

Now this is what we read about him:

"Brohm will look to be the Locos’ No. 2 quarterback behind starter Chase Clement, and will compete for that spot with ex-Nebraska rookie Zac Lee and journeyman Chad Friehauf."

That is amazing to read. To think how we viewed those guys (at least initially) as the hope/future of the franchise to now seeing them on the Raider's garbage dump.

I remember when Brohm said he came to Buffalo to compete for the starting job. And (for reasons I never understood), there were Bills fans who passionately wanted him to start.

Now this is what we read about him:

"Brohm will look to be the Locos’ No. 2 quarterback behind starter Chase Clement, and will compete for that spot with ex-Nebraska rookie Zac Lee and journeyman Chad Friehauf."

I have to think of Python when I read this. I'll paraphrase: "Oh, what sad times are these when 'passing' ruffians like Chad Friehauf can shout Ne at bad quarterbacks."

I could swear the UFL folded or was near folding. Wasn't their season supposed to start in August?

PTR

They're definitely hurting. Down to 4 teams with Hartford suspending operation. That 2 year big money TV deal which was signed before the league played a game expired after last season. However, I think the only reason they planned on starting the season in August was to fill the lockout void and be the only game going. Once the lockout ended, the undrafted free agents had a place to go & it was easier for the UFL to do their standard start, waiting for NFL cuts to beef up their rosters.

I could swear the UFL folded or was near folding. Wasn't their season supposed to start in August?

PTR

It was - they gambled that the NFL labor dispute wouldn't be settled and that a football-starved nation would turn to the UFL. Obviously, that did not happen - but the UFL is still hanging in there...

Omaha And Sacramento To Host Opening Games Of Four-Team 2011 United Football League Season In September

On a side-note, I think Brohm will eventually make it back to the NFL. After all, Kurt Warner was out of football and bagging groceries at the local Hy-Vee before resurrecting his NFL hopes in the Arena Football League.

The Bills may still some day rue letting Brohm walk, and Chan Gailey's "fair and open QB competition" :rolleyes:

The Bills may still some day rue letting Brohm walk, and Chan Gailey's "fair and open QB competition" :rolleyes:

i doubt we will ever rue the day for letting brohm walk. both losman and edwards are better quarterbacks and more accomplished than brohm, so that does not say too much about brian brohm as a qb. and since losman and edwards were given their walking papers they have been practically unheard from. (go figure)

i doubt we will ever rue the day for letting brohm walk. both losman and edwards are better quarterbacks and more accomplished than brohm, so that does not say too much about brian brohm as a qb. and since losman and edwards were given their walking papers they have been practically unheard from. (go figure)

"Brohm is a "franchise" QB!"

--famous draft guru

PTR

Following his college career, [Kurt] Warner went undrafted in the 1994 NFL Draft. He was invited to try out for the Green Bay Packers' training camp in 1994, but was released before the regular season began...It was at this time that Warner stocked shelves at a Hy-Vee grocery store in Cedar Falls for $5.50 an hour...With no NFL teams willing to give him a chance, Warner turned to the Arena Football League in 1995 and signed with the Iowa Barnstormers...In 1998, Warner was finally signed by an NFL franchise...

And, as well all know, after a few roadblocks and disappointments along the way Warner went on to a long-delayed but stellar 11-year NFL that saw him set numerous passing milestones, play in 4 Pro Bowls, and win 2 Superbowls among many other accolades.

On January 29, 2010 Warner officially announced his retirement from the National Football League...He will be eligible for induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame following the 2014 season.

Guess we'll know who's right about Brohm in another 3-5 years. Same with Losman, who won a UFL title and has had stints with both the Raiders and Seahawks. (Wouldn't be surprised if he returned to the UFL before their season starts.)

As for Edwards, I expect, after being cut by the Raiders next week, he'll retire from football to pursue Dakota Fanning full time B-)

Edited by The Senator