Insider: Nix hasn't addressed Bills greatest needs

Amstel

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gap responsibility, and where they line up, does not dictate what the defense is...

Wrong. If the Bills don't have the center covered, the Bills are not in a 3-4. I said before that Dereus and KW were lined up at 3 technique, which is not a 3-4. 90% of the time, a 3 man front is going to play a 2 gap scheme.

As evidenced here, in a very good breakdown of the different types of 3-4 and 4-3 defenses you can run:

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/1/11/1927873/examining-multiple-defensive-fronts-featuring-kyle-williams

I didn't look but if they have a 4-3 O/U defense then you might want to look at it. It looks like a 5 man front, which is similar to a 3-4 but it is still a 4-3 defense. When the TE trades and Batten adjusts back to a stack formation, it is a 4-3. Otherwise, the defense would be at an disadvantage. I don't need a wiki link to tell me, I know this for a fact.

I think you and I are both splitting hairs over something neither of us can know for sure, considering we aren't on the Bills coaching staff. So agree to disagree there.

Agree to disagree I guess, but again, you're confusing defenses. I don't need to be a coach to call it a 4 or 5 front. It is what it is.

But I still say we have the personnel to run a 3-4.

Not at OLB we don't which is why we aren't in a base 3-4. Buddy wanted a 3-4 but he knows that we don't have the personnel therefore they are in 4 man fronts.

No team in the NFL has *addressed* their offensive line.

Half the NFL has offensive lines that are marginal to barely adequate in quality. (See Ravens, Baltimore/Eagles, Philadelphia, Patriots, New England for starters)

Those teams have worse lines than the Bill with more at stake. Those teams will only go as far in the playoffs (which they expect to make) as their offensive lines keep the QB from being massacred.

I said it last year and I'll say it again Who is happy with their o-line ?

Also the BIGGEST need was fixing the run defense not the offensive line

fwiw, they've been running a 4-3 most of the time I've seen them this preseason.

And I think they'll be wise to continue doing so into the regular season as they are better suited for it.

Based on what? Observations. If so, to be fair, they did have a solid preseason game. At the same time, I assume you're basing these perceived improvements on the fact that the current starting 5 have gotten better in all aspects of their game. Because, otherwise, I'm not sure how you can argue it is "improved" since they literally didn't add anyone (outside of that rookie Hairston) into the equation. It's the same guys as last year, except with Ubrik starting and Hangartner sitting.

Yep. And "better" means healthier (as in the case of Wood and Bell) and/or more experience with the Bills' offense.

Is it even clear who the O-line starters will be?

I think it's pretty safe to say it's: Bell-Levitre-Wood-Urbik-Pears

What the hell is wrong with Nix? He's had one full off season and a shortened off season because of the strike to fix this entire team. That should be plenty of time. Is he sleeping or what? Everyone knows that if your a GM worth a damn, the team you inherit should be a playoff caliber team by the preseason of year two. I totally agree that Nix obviously is asleep at the wheel. I think we should start over and get someone that knows what they are doing in here.

fwiw, they've been running a 4-3 most of the time I've seen them this preseason.

And I think they'll be wise to continue doing so into the regular season as they are better suited for it.

Dr. Dereustein, the fact that Simon agreed with what I said is all the proof you need. Hell just froze over...

Buddy has been around awhile — he must have the hype machine working overtime."

Which hype machine is that, exactly? Chris Brown? Hey, he's great but come off it already. It's not like we have ESPN Buffalo sycophants trying to make money by telling us how great we are. :lol:

Instead, we have blatant hacks working at Sports Center making sophomoric cracks on Steve Johnson, and running highlights of David Garrard...in a game where he was dominated, and completely ignoring our QB's perfect passer rating. Oh, they did get in the Amish Rifle joke. :rolleyes: Yes, whatever would Buddy Nix do without his "hype machine"? :lol:

This is written by a typically ignorant, because they are typically biased and lazy, ESPN-like, idiot. How can we tell? Well, I don't know, besides the blatant inaccuracies in our "story"...perhaps if we consider that the biggest story in New England right now is "Chad 85 is not working out" and/or Haynesworth is hurt and marginal. But, instead, we get:

"(Patriots rookie OLT) Nate Solder pitched a shutout in his first preseason game. He is a darn good run blocker. He is very athletic for his size. He has been impressive."

Yes, the rookie left tackle's unquantified progress is the most important thing to point out after they get blown out by Detroit, directly due to their horrible O line play. :lol:

This is like when Fox news talks to an expert, or when they report that "people are saying."

You mean like when MSNBC had an expert telling us that Irene was an opportunity to fund a second stimulus, or that somehow every news outlet doesn't say something similar to "people are saying" if not those exact words? You mean like Dan Rather blatantly reporting lies 1 month before an election?

Buddy, ALL of the media is ridiculous right now. If they weren't, and actually did their jobs, we wouldn't see articles like the one above, and we wouldn't have an unvetted, wildly inexperienced, assclown like Obama in the WH.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Is 4 nillion a ton to pay barnett? Didn't the packers run the 34 the last two years?

I'm not nixs #1 fan but this to me is an obviously bias opinion piece. As bender said kirlew is prob going to get cut. Merriman may or may not be broken down but he's def not old.

And Barnett played well in it his first year they ran it. The Barnett and Morrison signings were solid signing to bolster the staff. The Merriman move was a gamble worth taking. This years draft class was pretty good.

The trade of Lee will only look good if Easley, Jones, Nelson, or another young gun have a break out year. The addition of Smith is nice he adds a dynamic to the offense, while Thigpen is a nice depth addition.

The only move that to me makes no sense is the inaction on the offensive line. They went after Clabo hard and its like they didn't have a plan B. They also showed too much faith in Urbik and once he showed you so little in pre-season they didn't make a move to find a replacement.

I understand having Bell in there, there aren't exactly a lot of LT's worth a damm that hit free agency and Bell did have a decent year last year (Although his mediocore showing in preseason is very concerning). But no way in hell should Nix have let Pears go into the season as the starter and there is no way that once Urbik showed poorly in preseason that they shouldn't have scrambled to find a replacement.

Hell they could at least still find a decent Guard or Center out there to replace Urbik and have Hangman and Reinhart be the backups (Good backups to have).

The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

• "I keep hearing what a great job (Bills GM) Buddy Nix is doing. The offensive line sucks. He did not address the quarterback position. (C.J.) Spiller is still struggling two years running. How do you win with (Kraig) Urbik, (Erik) Pears and Demetrius Bell starting on your offensive line? And there is nothing behind them. They paid Nick Barnett a ton of money to play in a system that he is not good at. He is a 4-3 Mike 'backer who is on the downside of his career. Who are their outside 'backers? (Chris) Kelsay and (Shawne) Merriman are old and broken down. There's nothing behind them. I'm shocked Jammie Kirlew is on an NFL roster. Buddy has been around awhile — he must have the hype machine working overtime. Unless I'm missing something, that is a bad football team."

Have at it.....

This person is just regurgitating what he has heard about the Bills need. The O-line does need more talent but is not that bad and the backups aren't that far off from the starters (minus Wang), The QB was addressed by Thigpen and Smith, Barnett played well for greenbay in a 34, Merriman is not old and will win comeback player of the year and Kelsay is not broke down and plays his role well, and he is missing something when we will go over .500 this year.

Jimmy Spags!

:lol: :lol: