Kyle Williams Extended

Astrobot

I'd like to think the thanks was for getting a probowler for 6.5m per, likely keeping him in buff til retirement. It was a good deal. Can hate him for every time we disagree with a choice but not acknowledge the good situations going on?

That has more to do with Kyle Williams than it does Overdorf. The vast majority of players in Williams' situation would drive a harder bargain. Chris Johnson's doing it now, with 2 years left on his deal. Overdorf also tried to extend Clements with two years left on his deal and Clements refused to budge, knowing that he'd get much more on the open market.

Bottom line is that Kyle Williams isn't driven by money and he feels a deep sense of loyalty to the Bills. He should be commended for that, not Jim Overdorf.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Overdorf's job puts him in the middle of the personnel and business sides of the house and moves like the Evans trade make it appear that he bleeds a little too much into both. While the Williams contract extension on the surface appears very team friendly, I can't imagine morale was raised knowing the GM isn't as involved in trades. Players have to know the functions of a GM versus the capologist and the latter isn't determining compensation or even who can be dealt.

Jim Overdorf is still not part of the solution in Buffalo. He is one of the problems that anyone who works for the Bills has to face, regardless of negotiating one seemingly team friendly contract.

Overdorf has been moving up in the organization for a long time. He was Butler's cap manager when the cap was first put into place. Back then he was respected.

Over the years he has been promoted and gained influeunce within the organization. Not his fault that Wilson repsects and trusts him.

Bottom line is that we need a "football man" running the football side of the business. Wilson seems to put most of his faith in businessmen such as Littman (accounting), Overdorf (contracts/finances) and Brandon (marketing).

We really need a Football GM that runs the whole show, reporting only to Wilson.

Look at the Sabres --- Pegula brought in Ted Black to handle the Hockey Business that he admittedly knows little about. They let Regier handle the Hockey personnel side as the GM.

Wilson has been influenced or persuaded by his business people to the detriment of his football people. There is a long history of unhappy GMs and Coaches.

To me, Overdorf has consistently either overpaid or underpaid and rarely got it right, outside of some medium range FA in the Dwan Edwards and Spencer Johnson range. Not big money but you get what you pay for. Draft picks don't count because of the slotting system. The fact is, a guy like Overdorf should not be the person deciding how much a player is or isn't worth, as he is not a personnel guy or talent evaluator.

Buffalo is such a mess I think we have to over pay to get a decent FA to sign. That's the problem we run into. To attract high value FA -- at a reasonable price -- there has to be the expectation of organizational success. Right now, we cant say that.

Edited by I_want_2_BILL_Lieve

Resigning Williams was like selecting Dareus in the first round. Should be automatic, no deep thought required. Does every easy decision deserve heaping praise?

It's like youth soccer over here...

And you'd be the first in line to criticize them when they didn't make the "easy decision" and let him walk down the line. This organization has certainly earned its share of derision for over a decade now and deservedly so. But fair is fair and they should also be acknowledged for doing the right thing. Without making the right choices, "easy" or not, how do you effect change and foster a winning culture?? Don't worry, you'll get a chance to blast them again if Kyle doesn't play up to his contract. It's borderline comical that nothing - and I mean NOTHING - that this team ever does or tries to do makes you happy. I imagine you'd be a real joy at a youth soccer game. You truly are a miserable bastard.

Resigning Williams was like selecting Dareus in the first round. Should be automatic, no deep thought required. Does every easy decision deserve heaping praise?

It's like youth soccer over here...

Re-signing a player with two years left is not automatic. Re-signing him and not over-paying or under-paying him is not automatic whatsoever. No, every easy decision does not deserve heaping praise, and the praise i gave wasn't heaping. In fact, I called him the anti-Christ. I also said he rarely gets it right, usually under-paying or over-paying.

I just think it may be fair, and right, when you bash someone 100 times for doing the wrong thing, to say he did well once in awhile on a major deal. Which he did.

I still hope he resigns this afternoon for personal reasons before he re-signs anyone because I still hate his entire digestive system. He just got this one right.

Overdorf's job puts him in the middle of the personnel and business sides of the house and moves like the Evans trade make it appear that he bleeds a little too much into both. While the Williams contract extension on the surface appears very team friendly, I can't imagine morale was raised knowing the GM isn't as involved in trades. Players have to know the functions of a GM versus the capologist and the latter isn't determining compensation or even who can be dealt.

Jim Overdorf is still not part of the solution in Buffalo. He is one of the problems that anyone who works for the Bills has to face, regardless of negotiating one seemingly team friendly contract.

I think that Overdorf doing the Evans trade was an outlier rather than the norm. It is my understanding that he is usually involved in trades only when the compensation for a player, like a new contract, would be part of the deal.

I expect some of the players know he handles all deals and some don't. Most players just have their agents do all of the contract stuff and aren't told a lot until something happens or they have to make a decision.

Personally, I think it's atrocious that a capologist is making personnel decisions, and Overdorf is surely part of the problem not the solution but that's the case while Ralph is here and it isn't likely to change.

Overdorf has been moving up in the organization for a long time. He was Butler's cap manager when the cap was first put into place. Back then he was respected.

Over the years he has been promoted and gained influeunce within the organization. Not his fault that Wilson repsects and trusts him.

Bottom line is that we need a "football man" running the football side of the business. Wilson seems to put most of his faith in businessmen such as Littman (accounting), Overdorf (contracts/finances) and Brandon (marketing).

We really need a Football GM that runs the whole show, reporting only to Wilson.

Look at the Sabres --- Pegula brought in Ted Black to handle the Hockey Business that he admittedly knows little about. They let Regier handle the Hockey personnel side as the GM.

Wilson has been influenced or persuaded by his business people to the detriment of his football people. There is a long history of unhappy GMs and Coaches.

Of course. But we're not getting one. Blame TD! ;)

I think that Overdorf doing the Evans trade was an outlier rather than the norm. It is my understanding that he is usually involved in trades only when the compensation for a player, like a new contract, would be part of the deal.

I expect some of the players know he handles all deals and some don't. Most players just have their agents do all of the contract stuff and aren't told a lot until something happens or they have to make a decision.

Personally, I think it's atrocious that a capologist is making personnel decisions, and Overdorf is surely part of the problem not the solution but that's the case while Ralph is here and it isn't likely to change.

Hard to tell an outlier versus a norm, especially with trades so infrequent in the NFL. After the Troy Vincent release in 2006, I find it hard to believe Overdorf doesn't have enough gravitas at OBD to get fired. He may not be part of the inner circle, but is well aware he carries weight.

Ultimately, as has been said thousands of times previously, it's an ownership problem. And in the interim the Bills will continue wandering in the proverbial desert.