Kyle Williams Extended

Astrobot

The problem has never been overdorf. It's been littman. Overdorf has done a very good job managing contract, esp digging out of the Donahoe mess.

All that said, yes we have made some good moves, and really need 1 more solid draft (and a QB) to get this team to challenge for the 2nd best team in our own division. I will say this, however. It's an absurdity how awful our line is. I know its obvious, but after just watching the colts-pack preseason game, even their backups are significantly better than ours (perhaps its the QBs or systems masking weaknesses, but they looked goo). Nix will be wise to get some castoffs from other teams....

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If we re-sign stevie, and some more rookies/young players start to pan out, I might actually feel better about this team. If we start keeping the few good players we have, then something good might happen eventually. it is just annoying we have to keep starting from scratch.

A lot of people bash the bills for looking too much at "character," but to me, this team needs strong character in its players to make it work. Players like peters and lynch really could have helped build this team. But lynch just had too many run ins with the law and didn't want to be here. And peters wanted WAY more than he was worth and didn't want to be here. They were talented, but unreasonable and unloyal. If they had better character with some loyalty (like williams) then they really could have helped us, instead of just leaving another hole for us to fill. If the bills were a major team like the jets and pats* then maybe they could keep the talented, but poor character players around. But when you are the bills, the poor character players always want to be in a bigger city with the spotlight.

Stevie seems to be like williams, and I hope I am right about that. So far he has said he isn't going to demand a big contract right now and knows he has to prove himself again this year if we wants a payday. And he seems to want to stay in buffalo. I hope we are able to grab more players like williams and stevie. Talented, and strong character.

Amen another player that fits with Peters & Lynch that the Bills gave a chance & stuck it to them when he got the chance was the ever so ungreatful Willis Mcgahee !!! :devil:

I would like to see extensions for Steve, Fitz, Fred. McKelvin if he really has an outstanding year then can negotiate at the end of the year.

I'm sure the plan is to lose McKelvin, start Aaron Williams and maybe pick up another couple of CBs in next year's draft. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

If the big gaff is trading lee- I'll begrudgingly accept this offseason. Love the Barnett, merriman, Morrison deals. Thigpen was the right fit. Love smith. Chased clabo without being dumb.wouldve liked zack miller but I can't say I know the end goal, or if they quietly tried. Dareus was the right pick. All in all- making the right choices, even if some fall through

Agree to a degree. Love the Smith, Barnett and Morrison deals, and especially the Merriman one. Those, I have to believe, are a combination of several front office people. Nix is the personnel guy, but Overdorf has to do the negotiating and signing with the agent. I'm sure they work together on the vast majority of these deals. Nix has to have an idea of what these guys are worth and him and Overdorf between them must come up with some figure, although Overdorf has the final say.

Unfortunately, to me, Nix and Gailey may have wanted Clabo more than Overdorf was willing to pay. That is just conjecture though. Overdorf wouldn't have anything to do with the draft choices, he just has to sign them once they are drafted.

Overall though, I am mostly pleased with this off season outside of the Lee Evans trade. We really need to sign a veteran OL or two though, hopefully that can start.

The problem has never been overdorf. It's been littman. Overdorf has done a very good job managing contract, esp digging out of the Donahoe mess.

All that said, yes we have made some good moves, and really need 1 more solid draft (and a QB) to get this team to challenge for the 2nd best team in our own division. I will say this, however. It's an absurdity how awful our line is. I know its obvious, but after just watching the colts-pack preseason game, even their backups are significantly better than ours (perhaps its the QBs or systems masking weaknesses, but they looked goo). Nix will be wise to get some castoffs from other teams....

To me, Overdorf has consistently either overpaid or underpaid and rarely got it right, outside of some medium range FA in the Dwan Edwards and Spencer Johnson range. Not big money but you get what you pay for. Draft picks don't count because of the slotting system. The fact is, a guy like Overdorf should not be the person deciding how much a player is or isn't worth, as he is not a personnel guy or talent evaluator.

Littman isn't either but he is the treasurer, and I don't know how much he is responsible for individual contracts. I'd like to know what specific reasons you have for saying he is the real culprit. It's possible that he sets a limit and Overdorf must come under that limit but i have never heard that.

Agree to a degree. Love the Smith, Barnett and Morrison deals, and especially the Merriman one. Those, I have to believe, are a combination of several front office people. Nix is the personnel guy, but Overdorf has to do the negotiating and signing with the agent. I'm sure they work together on the vast majority of these deals. Nix has to have an idea of what these guys are worth and him and Overdorf between them must come up with some figure, although Overdorf has the final say.

Unfortunately, to me, Nix and Gailey may have wanted Clabo more than Overdorf was willing to pay. That is just conjecture though. Overdorf wouldn't have anything to do with the draft choices, he just has to sign them once they are drafted.

Overall though, I am mostly pleased with this off season outside of the Lee Evans trade. We really need to sign a veteran OL or two though, hopefully that can start.

I definitely extended from just overdorf to front office. I think generally we did well with identifying, valuing and signing talent. I'd love clabo but not if if took 3, 4, 5 mill a year more to get him. At some point either a guy wants to be here or he doesn't. He didn't. At that point overpaying like crazy gets you a guy like dockery that always wanted to go home.

Wasn't perfection but it seems that chan identified his types of guys, nix found them, and overdorf generally signed good deals. Doesn't mean we got every guy or need but....outside lee- it feels like the right direction.

Edited by NoSaint

I am as big a critic of Jim Overdorf as anyone. It's possible, although this is a rumor on the level of Pat Moran, that he is the anti-Christ.

But since I badmouth him so much, and he has received so much vitriol here and elsewhere in the last week especially, I feel it is only fair to give him kudos for the Kyle Williams deal. It seems to me to be fair to both side. Great deal for the Bills, and a great deal for Kyle considering that he would have to wait two years to test the open market. I know there is already a Kyle extension thread, but I thought that since The Devil gets so much crud, and deservedly so, for his blunders and terrible decisions, that he should also get credit when credit is due.

The Morrison signing, although it was only one year and happened due to Torbor's injury, was also sweet, IMO.

I don't expect it to last, but it may, as we try to re-sign Stevie, Fitz and Fred.

it makes me sad that we have to congratulate a guy for giving extensions to players who deserve them. i feel that the vitriol that both you and i feel towards him is warranted given the past, however. i hope and pray that this is the first in a series of intelligent moves that propel the organization forward. the burden of proof is on the bills now.

If we sign fitz to a new deal before at earliest week 4, I see it as stupidity. If it's a 2-3 mill a year deal, so be it. But if we pay him a starting qb contract (5-7) I'd be pissed. Let's see how he does after several weeks before we decide he's our guy. We have thigpen signed for 3 years, theres no reason to lock up another average qb unless we KNOW he is better than average. Hopefully much better than average. But I just don't see it. I'm rooting for him as much as his worshippers, but he's still gotta show us a lot this year in order to make a commitment long term. The last thing I want is to have another 2nd string qb running our team for the next few years. Draft one in the 1st round if fitz proves to ordinary (likely). Llet thigpen hold the reigns for a year while the rookie soaks up a year of knowledge. And hopefully THEN we will have some real hope. Fitzy just doesn't seem like that guy to bring us hope IMO. I hope I'm wrong.

Grats to overdorf for the Williams signing and the additions of Barnett, merriman, Morrison, smith, thigpen and resigning Florence.

Booooo to overdorf for trading Lee and resigning Kelsey to such a big deal. I don't hate the fact that we resigned him, but he gave a below average player a LOT of cash.

I'm optimistic that we are headed in the right direction. I've been optimistic the last 36 years

I am as big a critic of Jim Overdorf as anyone. It's possible, although this is a rumor on the level of Pat Moran, that he is the anti-Christ.

But since I badmouth him so much, and he has received so much vitriol here and elsewhere in the last week especially, I feel it is only fair to give him kudos for the Kyle Williams deal. It seems to me to be fair to both side. Great deal for the Bills, and a great deal for Kyle considering that he would have to wait two years to test the open market. I know there is already a Kyle extension thread, but I thought that since The Devil gets so much crud, and deservedly so, for his blunders and terrible decisions, that he should also get credit when credit is due.

The Morrison signing, although it was only one year and happened due to Torbor's injury, was also sweet, IMO.

I don't expect it to last, but it may, as we try to re-sign Stevie, Fitz and Fred.

This is some A+ quality trolling - game respects game.

Overjerk has no business making any football related decisions. His job should be to negotiate what he is told. He is the best example of what is wrong with this team...non football people making football decisions. Proof that Ralph has no desirre to win.

Only the strong personality of Jim K, Thurman, Polian and few others forced Ralph to win in the 88 to 95 period.

Do you recall cutting Langston Walker shocking the team. Not that Walker should have been kept but their was no replacement signed and thus the shock was he did not get beat out...just money from overdorfs position

Overdorf should be fired. :angry:

We only have 2 NFL starters on our Off line and no TE. Enough said.

We came into this offseason needing oline, Dline, LB, CB and more (depending who you ask qb, te)... At some point you had to expect we weren't going to find answers for EVERY question this year.

it makes me sad that we have to congratulate a guy for giving extensions to players who deserve them. i feel that the vitriol that both you and i feel towards him is warranted given the past, however. i hope and pray that this is the first in a series of intelligent moves that propel the organization forward. the burden of proof is on the bills now.

Agreed.

I'd like to think the thanks was for getting a probowler for 6.5m per, likely keeping him in buff til retirement. It was a good deal. Can hate him for every time we disagree with a choice but not acknowledge the good situations going on?