Is this a fair question for new registrants?

SDS

It just feels like 16.

I'm not sure how the spam thing works. Is it automated or is someone actually typing?

Anyway, you could ask "What animal is pictured on the side of the Bills helmet?". You could require that "buffalo" be spelled correctly. I think that would stop spam from asia and pretty much all Canadians.

:lol:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a logical place to start. Try to get a sense of how many of those junk accounts you note in a month; add your first 'filter' question and see if it makes a significant impact. Pending results, add further more 'advanced' questions.

...and the number of the counting shall be 4. You may not proceedeth to 5. You may not stop at 3 unless, of course, you directly proceed to four.

There's another New York team?

Actually, that's a good trivia question that will weed out a lot of idiots: name all of the NFL teams from the state of New York.

Edited by BRH

What kind of spam accounts?

If they are being created by some automated process or bot, it doesn't need to be trivia, it can simply be "What is two plus three?". If it's a real person trying to spam, they will be able to easily find the answer to a basic Bills question - so unless there is a rotation of questions it won't help much, since once they google the answer they can use it for all future spam account creations.

How many Super Bowls have the Buffalo Bills played in?

I'm looking to cut down on the spam accounts that register. Many times real people from Asia sign-up, so I'm looking for a basic question that anyone with general football/Bills knowledge would know.

Is this question fair to younger fans? Is there an even easier question to ask that weeds out the spammers, but lets legitimate people register?

Serious replies only please. Don't waste my time with nonsense replies.

It is fair, although may be a little too easy, almost everyone knows that they Bills were the butt of alot of jokes because of the 4 straight losses. How about asking them what is the only jersey number officially retired by the franchise?

Maybe not. You would be surprised at how many sports fans ask me, when I mention I'm a lifelong Bills fan, "didn't they lose like three Super Bowls in a row?". I just say, "four", and wait for the big laughs. And I don't think it should be required that you are a die-hard Bills fan to register here. Some people are just football fans looking for perspectives on the team, a good place to go for wings while they're in town for a game, etc. They aren't all trolls.

I worry that the question will prevent fans of other teams from visiting our site.

A general question about the NFL would still prevent spambots but allow in real fans.

What does "NFL" stand for?

What team won the first Super Bowl?

How many teams in the NFL?

Maybe something like that.

I worry that the question will prevent fans of other teams from visiting our site.

A general question about the NFL would still prevent spambots but allow in real fans.

What does "NFL" stand for? No Fun League?

What team won the first Super Bowl? Do you mean the first game actually called the Super Bowl between the Jets-Colts or the World Championship Game between Green Bay-KC?

How many teams in the NFL? Subject to expansion to LA, Tijuana and London.

Maybe something like that.

:P

Edited by justnzane