• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

started shuttering my house and my mother-in-laws just in case she hiccups west

A possessive comma is very important here dib! Is that mother-in-law as in:

Mother-in-law's

or as you posted:

Mother-in-laws

:nana: :nana:

Earthquake today, hurricane later in the week...

Anyone seeing any unusual numbers of locusts?

Cicadas have been buzzing here all summer... But no unusual numbers!

Earthquake today, hurricane later in the week...

Anyone seeing any unusual numbers of locusts?

I heard what sounded like an unusual amount Monday morning in some woods behind my house. Why?

It's still too early to know for sure but models are predicting 80-90 mph winds in Southern New Hampshire by Sunday evening. This area is not going to do too well if Irene is packing a wallop. I'm going to Buffalo this weekend but plan to come back early Sunday to hopefully beat Irene home.

PTR

I am getting spooked now, last week I had the pumps going for 12 hours, this one looks to be headed right for Long Island.

I have already sandbagged around the entrance to the garage door.I am planning on leaving the cars at the train station and using my sons little car for final departure if the water gets too deep.

I have 2 boats that are floating behind my house, the smaller one I could use to get out if the storm surge is 3-4 feet over the seawall. The bigger one will have to stay lashed to the floating dock and we will hope for the best. Tonight I will be lashing down the lawn furniture and the Kayaks. Insurance and valuable paperwork will go in the cars parked at the train station.

Neighbors here who were around during the last big one in 1985 said the water was up about 5 feet on my walls in the garage.

I am getting spooked now, last week I had the pumps going for 12 hours, this one looks to be headed right for Long Island.

I have already sandbagged around the entrance to the garage door.I am planning on leaving the cars at the train station and using my sons little car for final departure if the water gets too deep.

I have 2 boats that are floating behind my house, the smaller one I could use to get out if the storm surge is 3-4 feet over the seawall. The bigger one will have to stay lashed to the floating dock and we will hope for the best. Tonight I will be lashing down the lawn furniture and the Kayaks. Insurance and valuable paperwork will go in the cars parked at the train station.

Neighbors here who were around during the last big one in 1985 said the water was up about 5 feet on my walls in the garage.

Yep, looks like it is heading right for you all..good luck. The today show had on one of those "house experts" today, but the dude actually made some good points. One being make sure you get a photo of every room in your house, plus the exterior, so you have a record for insurance purposes. Sounds basic but i would not have thought of that.Then store that along with insurance docs, deed etc in a plastic bag. Good ideas

Yep, looks like it is heading right for you all..good luck. The today show had on one of those "house experts" today, but the dude actually made some good points. One being make sure you get a photo of every room in your house, plus the exterior, so you have a record for insurance purposes. Sounds basic but i would not have thought of that.Then store that along with insurance docs, deed etc in a plastic bag. Good ideas

Living in Florida I had heard that a long time ago. What I did was video tape everything then store the tape in my saftey depoist box withall my other important papers. If I updated anything to the house, electronics, or anything else I'd just update the tape.

Good luck everyone. I'm sure we'll be having a few come my way this season.

Thunderstorms here today in Philly will break the all time record for rain in a month since they've been keeping weather records. Then Hurricane Irene remnants on Saturday and Sunday are calling for the possiblility of a 3 inches of rain which means that we are looking at a half foot of rain here in Philly over the next 4 days on a ground that has already been permeated by heavy t-storms over the past few weeks. Should be interesting.

I'm just south of you in Chelmsford, MA and keeping a close eye on this thing as well. Things in this area just aren't built for that type of wind - the power outtages could be a real issue. I'm trying to figure out how much of this is media hype by the local weather people (the same folks who freak out about a "major winter storm!!!" that drops 2 inches of snow) or if this thing really is going to be bad. The models don't look encouraging, though - they seem to be moving west which means damaging winds rather than flooding rains - I'd rather the rain.

Seems like Connecticut and specifically the Connecticut river valley is in the bulls eye! This could seriously suck. Time to stock up on some essentials. At least it is warm out and we don't need electricity to keep warm!

Where in LI? The current track has it aimed right at Jamaica Bay, which is probably the worst possible place on the entire east coast for impacting the most people.

Seems like Connecticut and specifically the Connecticut river valley is in the bulls eye! This could seriously suck. Time to stock up on some essentials. At least it is warm out and we don't need electricity to keep warm!

It's starting to look like another Gloria. :ph34r: