Tropical Storm/Hurricane Irene

/dev/null

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A storm like that in Texas would just prolong the inevitable. Even if people have their houses blown away, they would still love the storm? Why in the heck does that sound irrational? Who would pick up the tab for blown away houses? The insurance companies?

Natural order of things? Maybe they should move to where there is water? Where they may be more "geographically blessed." :nana: :nana: Really, that is how it has played out through history... Run out of water, move. Why on earth would they not move? There has to be a natural reason. An artificially constructed reason to stay is just not a good enough reason.

lol, right now we're in the middle of the worst drought since 1895.

Glad no one got hurt! That's good news.

lol, right now we're in the middle of the worst drought since 1895.

Glad no one got hurt! That's good news.

I am just messing with you Blue! Same here... Hope the situation gets better!

Anyway... I always said that if Chicago wanted to get all the states like Texas (drought stricken, yet big political players) on board with Chicago's agenda (with regard to winning the dispute with the other Great Lakes states about invasive species/water agenda-diversion)... All they would have to do is cut back under the Supreme Court limit (set in/about 1969, about 3600 cubic feet per second) through the controlling works (the locks here in Chicago)... Which would be easy to do... Everytime we lock a boat, no matter how small or large, we waste about a million gallons of lake water. The lake water is diverted to the MS watershed. That is about 10 years of water needed for a family of four, diverted in about 15-20 minutes time. We can "recycle" the water back to the lake for navigation (and canal/pound use @ locks further downstream) AND pipe (sell) the surplus to the southern states who are in need of water.

I of course jest... Just imagine what a sh*tstorm that would plan create! The lowest cost (by far) area around the Great Lakes to do some kind of water diversion like this would be the area around Chicago... The infrastucture is in place and geography is condusive... Just a matter of laying the distribution pipe in an already flowing right-of way. Now you know why the enviros are pushing the "hydraulic separation" issue. It would slam "the door." Water will be "gold" in a quickly drying up freshwater world.

For example, the great lakes locks?

NO! The only reason we exist here in Chicago (locks) is to serve as a "controlling works" or "restrictor valve." They don't need the locks now that the canal is dug below the ancient continental divide... We exist to limit the water that leaves the Great Lakes... Way more water would leave than set by the Supreme Court if the controlling works didn't exist... Almost double at full breach of the dam. Of course "other" controlling" features come into play since the controlling works exist, other things can be tweaked (ie: food control, naviagtion).

Then you can argue the artificial nature that digging the canal below (it is about the same elevation of the bottom of the Niagara River @ the Falls) the divide created... But you can't unring a bell... Filling it in would be equally as "artificial." @ one time nature did use the area as an outlet... And even in recent times as would it now if nothing was ever touched. During flood events the water would easily goes over the divide. So, there has never throughout natural history been "true" hydraulic separation in this area. Hydraulic separation is an artificial contruct.

:nana: :nana:

No major damage on the homefront. A lot of limbs down only one will need the chainsaw. Three words..."Isabel was worse".

Not for the Mid-Atlantic states and the Catskills!

;):P

when one's "preparation" included significant alcohol consumption, it's close enough!

:lol: Hope you stayed safe! I like Avenger's take on it! :lol:

Totally agree..so many peoiple coming over today making it a way bigger deal than it is..which is simply a pain in da ass. We were just about to eat when it crashed into the house..went and looked at it, said nothing we can now..lets eat. Got a tree dude coming tomorrow with a crane et al...God bless homeowners..tree emoval alone gunna be close to $5K.

Other thing I learned..lamb chops on a grill pan on a gas stove during a hurricane is not a great idea...exhaust fan no workee when no electricity :wallbash:

BTW, still no e-lec-tricity at my house..gunna be a hot night

Glad everybody is okay!!! Anyway for only double that amount (5k) you can be sitting with electricity from a genset like your "hated" neighbor.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

We are still without power, lost a good chunk of my Bills memorabilia, The signed Thurman, Kelly and Reed Jerseys were in cases as well as my signed 95 team ball (Bruce Paup NFL Defensive POY) plus other stuff, I had it all on high cabinets. Once the water level rose, it overturned the cabinets and dropped everything into the drink. We had chest high water in the room on the level where it was stored.

At least we are all safe, just waiting for insurance adjusters and power.

Not for the Mid-Atlantic states and the Catskills!

;):P

I'm in the Mid-Atlantic...Virginia Beach...Isabel was worse as far as wind, flooding and power outages. Isabel rose the water about 10 feet behind my house, took out 2 willow trees in my yard and 3 lob lolly pines in my neighbors yard, I literally saw a duck flying backward during Isabel, and I was without power for 8 days. New England got it much worse during Irene. No doubt.

Let there be light! YAAAAH!

YES..let there be light!!!! Lights just came back on here. Not near as bad as Isabel as at least last two nights would have slept with windows open anyway.

Lost a ton of food, lost half a roof..now I can finally watch the Bills-Jax game online :thumbsup:

I was going to complain about my laborious 10 hour shift in rescuing my basement apartment from going under and then I saw these photos...

Carrying a 5 gallon bucket of water up 7 stairs, 20 times per hour for 10 hours, is much better than what these people have had to endure! These pictures were from Saybrook St and Croft Pl in Staten Island, NY.

post-3892-008853200 1314802566_thumb.jpg

post-3892-027239400 1314802824_thumb.jpg

I'm in the Mid-Atlantic...Virginia Beach...Isabel was worse as far as wind, flooding and power outages. Isabel rose the water about 10 feet behind my house, took out 2 willow trees in my yard and 3 lob lolly pines in my neighbors yard, I literally saw a duck flying backward during Isabel, and I was without power for 8 days. New England got it much worse during Irene. No doubt.

If anything, I might have considered you right on the border with the Southeast Atlantic states. When I think of "Mid-Atlantic"... I think a little bit further north like the Delmarva pennisula, MD, DE, NJ, PA, NY... With the core biggies being NY, PA, NJ. The lower part of the Delmarva being the southern end... Which of course is just a stone's throw across the water from you... So I suppose you are right. Pretty equal distances to divide the Seaboard up into 4 parts. Virginia in my geographic eye always invokes "the south." :wallbash:

I was going to complain about my laborious 10 hour shift in rescuing my basement apartment from going under and then I saw these photos...

Carrying a 5 gallon bucket of water up 7 stairs, 20 times per hour for 10 hours, is much better than what these people have had to endure! These pictures were from Saybrook St and Croft Pl in Staten Island, NY.

Wow... Good job saving your stuff!!!!

I never tried it, but my father-in-law swears by water driven siphon pumps that have the ability to take the edge off the sump pump pit from overflowing:

Siphon Pump

Wow... Good job saving your stuff!!!!

I never tried it, but my father-in-law swears by water driven siphon pumps that have the ability to take the edge off the sump pump pit from overflowing:

Siphon Pump

Thanks for the tip Exiled, although I lack the $$$ to make this happen. Hopefully there won't be any more 8" rainy days!

According to my neigbors, we will have power by the end of the day. Here are the pics from my perch during the storm

I lost power Saturday afternoon. Got home from work Monday afternoon, still no power. Hang out awhile with no power. Called Dominion for status, they said 90% of users will be back up by Friday.

Check my mail and find a 10% off Lowes coupon. So I take that as a sign to go buy a generator.

Buy a generator and get it up and running. Go outside to cleanup the tree limbs, branches, leaves, etc. 2 hours later I'm finished and go back inside.

Lights are on all over the house. Power is back on :lol::doh:

Edited by /dev/null