Tropical Storm/Hurricane Irene

/dev/null

Picked up loose items, dragged the kayak up under the deck, and took down the rooftop antennas. There's about $500 invested in my antenna system, as we are in a deep fringe/low signal area. There's also a huge red oak with branches that nearly touch it that we were going to take down this summer, but haven't gotten to it yet. Plus, with 75-90 sustained winds and harder gusts predicted, I just want to avoid that much strain on the lag bolts into our rafters (They're 2x6" spaced 16" which the GC in the '70s said you could drive a truck across) and keep the antennas from getting pummel by swaying or falling branches. Maybe I'm playing it too safe. But hey, it only took ~10 min. to take it down. Put up a small one that I made from copper wire awhile back that I won't be over-grieved to lose. Went inside to try it out and I'm getting a few channels (a CPTV that could probably be picked up with a paperclip) to keep up to date with the storm and have something to watch.

Keep losing DirecTV signal :(

Outside right now is the proverbial cow pissing on a flat rock

That's the first time I've ever heard that particular proverb.... And I worked summers on my grandparents'/uncle's dairy farm!

What's the meaning there? Rain coming from all directions?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

East of Raleigh is where it is staying. We have had a frew stray rain bands with little showers coming through the Piedmont area (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point).

Winds are steady but that's about it. A guy I work with showed me some videos his friends on the coast had been sending him; looks pretty rough out there!

Would love the storm here in Texas. It's so dry my Fiancee's parents are about to run out of water.

A storm like that in Texas would just prolong the inevitable. Even if people have their houses blown away, they would still love the storm? Why in the heck does that sound irrational? Who would pick up the tab for blown away houses? The insurance companies?

Natural order of things? Maybe they should move to where there is water? Where they may be more "geographically blessed." :nana: :nana: Really, that is how it has played out through history... Run out of water, move. Why on earth would they not move? There has to be a natural reason. An artificially constructed reason to stay is just not a good enough reason.

A storm like that in Texas would just prolong the inevitable. Even if people have their houses blown away, they would still love the storm? Why in the heck does that sound irrational? Who would pick up the tab for blown away houses? The insurance companies?

Natural order of things? Maybe they should move to where there is water? Where they may be more "geographically blessed." :nana: :nana: Really, that is how it has played out through history... Run out of water, move. Why on earth would they not move? There has to be a natural reason. An artificially constructed reason to stay is just not a good enough reason.

For example, the great lakes locks?

Our power was never out and most of the building did fine except the basement which had a foot of water. Ditto if that the worse I'll take it. The rainfall was as forecast but where I am on lower manhattan the wind was minimal, nothing like forecast.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Screw all you guys with little to no impcat :censored::D

Friggen way worse in Richmond than it was supposed to be. No power since 4 yesterday..and i got a big ass oak through my daughters bedroom bout 8 last night. Post a picture once power comes back on.Try finding an experienced tree guy today in Richmond..think I be living with a tree in my house for a few days

BTW, not sure what is worse..tree trhough your house and no power..or listening to the in line generator of the wacked neighbor next store..you know the neighbor no one likes, but his whole friggen house is lit up like a christmas tree while no one else has any frggen power!!!

Oh well, done all I can cleanup wise..just sitting back watching and smelling the green egg and just opened the first of many Oberons :beer:

Edited by plenzmd1

Didn't lose power except a few "hiccups", didn't lose DTV, no damage to house...but it was windy as **** and we had a ton of leaves all over the yard and driveway...some largish limbs came down but that's about it. Neighbors lost power, had trees down (one crashed onto the garage), lots of chaos, but we are mostly unscathed. I consider us very lucky! :worthy:

Didn't lose power except a few "hiccups", didn't lose DTV, no damage to house...but it was windy as **** and we had a ton of leaves all over the yard and driveway...some largish limbs came down but that's about it. Neighbors lost power, had trees down (one crashed onto the garage), lots of chaos, but we are mostly unscathed. I consider us very lucky! :worthy:

Ditto, except that the wind did a number on my cucumber/pole bean trellis at about noon.

The worst part of the storm was having extended family sheltering over, and in that regard this has been the never-ending day from hell.

I don't get all those people who mowed their lawns on Friday or Saturday morning before the rain started. There's crap all over their yards again. Tomorrow I'll pick up the branches/twigs that fell (quite a few actually), use the bagger mowers and presto change-o! They'll either have to mow again or wait a week.

Wow PL. Thankfully no one got hurt

Totally agree..so many peoiple coming over today making it a way bigger deal than it is..which is simply a pain in da ass. We were just about to eat when it crashed into the house..went and looked at it, said nothing we can now..lets eat. Got a tree dude coming tomorrow with a crane et al...God bless homeowners..tree emoval alone gunna be close to $5K.

Other thing I learned..lamb chops on a grill pan on a gas stove during a hurricane is not a great idea...exhaust fan no workee when no electricity :wallbash:

BTW, still no e-lec-tricity at my house..gunna be a hot night