Jackson upset is not good

26TrapDraw

Apparently Fred Jackson's the 40th highest-paid RB in the NFL.

Recently the Jets and the Colts extended several players during the offseason and towards the end of last season.

In both cases the teams made it public what the pecking order was.

David Harris knew he had to wait for Nick Mangold and D'Brick Ferguson.

Robert Mathis knows he has to wait for Peyton Manning and Dwight Freeney.

In Pittsburgh, it was common knowledge that Lawrence Timmons had to wait till LaMarr Woodley got his new deal.

It's what competent organizations do when they know they have an underpaid player who deserves more.

That's why players love playing for these organizations.

The Bills? Not so much.

So it appears after all this noise this is about the money. Jackson is pissed because he wants more money and if he's not the #1 guy there's no way that's going to happen. This isn't about respect, it's about getting paid!

There's a concept that you (the OP) should try to familiarize yourself with someday.

That concept is typically called "The Last Straw" concept.

Check it out sometime.

Are you sure you're not talking about a "Straw Man" concept?

Oh the irony.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a problem with Jackson wanting more money. I have a problem with him not having the guts to say so.

That said, I don't think there's a team in the league that is going to pay Fred Jackson $4M per season. Steven Jackson makes $5M per year and he's a freaking BEAST!

Watch the video again...Fred is asked if his current contract has anything to do with how he feels...he says "obviously"..."it's something" and "hopefully will be addressed". That's saying so

Free agents really won't care what Jackson gets paid

No, but they'll care about how they'll be treated if they outperform their contracts.

On another note:

I think all those hating on Fred would pout like little bitches if their boss brought in some golden boy at triple their salary, who moved ahead of them in line for the promotion they'd earned, and still had to do all the work new guy's getting paid to do.

Or would you go to work like a "good soldier" (AKA big kitty) and keep giving it your all?

Edited by Rob's House

No, but they'll care about how they'll be treated if they outperform their contracts.

On another note:

I think all those hating on Fred would pout like little bitches if their boss brought in some golden boy at triple their salary, who moved ahead of them in line for the promotion they'd earned, and still had to do all the work new guy's getting paid to do.

Or would you go to work like a "good soldier" (AKA big kitty) and keep giving it your all?

Exactly.

Although I think that Freddy will end up with more carries barring injury. And Fred will continue to give it his all despite the disrespect play at 100% and over-perform.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

On another note:

I find it funny that during the lockout we couldn't compare the work the players do with the job the regular joe does. Is it now correct to make such comparisons? Fred should deal with this with Chan and Nix, not on public, not on twitter or with Sal Mayonesa.

I find it funny that during the lockout we couldn't compare the work the players do with the job the regular joe does. Is it now correct to make such comparisons? Fred should deal with this with Chan and Nix, not on public, not on twitter or with Sal Mayonesa.

Well, since they are both partners in ownership, Fred can just cash out his shares and invest in another mutual fund. ;)

If Fred Jackson wants some more money extend and give him a raise. If he wants to be the "#1" RB then come out and say he is the starter. If he wants to wear D3 on his jersey let him. With the offensive unit we having going out week after week at least make one of the guys the fans like and want to see have what they want. We aren't going to win too much this year but at least keep one of the guys (Jackson, Fitz, S. Johnson, Dareus, Merriman, K. Williams, add who else you want) we('d) like to see happy and on the field wanting to compete.

Edited by the_franchise

Do you think Fred is just another misguided, clueless athlete?

Have you considered that maybe he's fed up with being disrespected and that he in fact, does not respect his bosses?

Do you believe that an athlete is ALWAYS wrong to air their grievances to the media?

The talk about money has me thinking about a conversation i had with broadcaster Gus Johnson at work a couple years ago. It was regarding Lamar odom resigning with the Lakers. I said odom should take a mill or two less to stay with a championship team. To paraphrase gus' reply: "these guys are playing basketball to make money. The window is to make that money isn't open for long. Lamar should take the richest contract, as should EVERY athlete". He was very adamant about it and scoffed at the idea someone should take less to play in a good situation.

Freds window is almost closed as a 30 yr old RB (I agree he had low mileage, but that's not gonna help him at the negotiation table). Watching a kid making millions more than him, while being the unquestioned better player as GOT to sting. He has a right to feel underappreciated and taken for granted. If I were him, considering his age, I'd be demanding a raise. I hope he doesn't get a negative reaction from the fans because he wants more money. He deserves more money.

Looks like the players are starting to get upset with new regime's lack of focus on improving the team as it is obvious to most of us as other teams sign free agents for positions of need , yet we do minimal if anything, especially wioth our off line. Evans, now Freddy. They were two pretty good players and leaders if you asked me.

What's the difference? They can't look any more like buffoons than they do already. Jackson's on the wrong side of 30 and won't get another extension from the Bills. That sucks but it's truth.

Correct. Bills fans need to realize that you have to transition your running backs. This loyalty thing is a joke. This is the NFL, not some book club. When Jackson's contract is up, he is not getting another one from the Bills. Spiller will take over. Jackson and Spiller will both play. If Spiller learns to block, he will get ahead as he is the more dynamic runner. Gotta work for the future. Winning now is not as important as getting both Jackson and Spiller on the field.

Jackson is like Evans. Really good players whose best years were spent with really bad teams. Sucks, but I do not feel bad for any NFL player who gets 5+ years out of this league and keeps their health. Especially Fred Jackson, who should be very "loyal" to the bills. without the minor league developmental program farm team Bills franchise, Jackson never even plays in the NFL. don't feel sorry for Fred Jackson..

It sounds to me like they really want Spiller to take Jackson's job which is mystifying on so many levels. For one thing Jackson is much better and for another thing they bring completely different things to the table.

Why doest the above mystify you? Seriously, I am not being a wiseass, but the reasons appear to be clear:

1) Nix/Gailey drafted Spiller. They took him despite other needs (we are told) because they thought he was the BPA. Maybe they still think he is great. It appears so, right?

2) If Spiller develops, he will be more "exciting" than Fred. After Spiller was drafted, Mr. Wilson himself said that the team needed, "excitement." And this sir is a good thing for ticket sales.

3) By naming these players co-number 1 backs, or something of this sort, it justifies not giving Jackson a raise. But, who are they saving the money for? Clabo? We don't know what he breaking point was to sign here. What we do know is that we didn't reach it. Boss? No, he was a proven TE there for the taking, but we are going with Chandler. I hope it works; we will see.

4) Spiller is being paid #9 money.

My point is that the money they save on Jackson will simply be put right into Mr. Wilsons pocket, along with the savings from Evans.

It's nuts, but these are our Bills.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Perhaps he ran into a brick wall? And...as has been pointed out many times for a long time, Nix isn't the one counting the beans.

What Chan and to an extent Nix have shown is a disregard (or lack of understanding) for open communication. Levitre...surprised & unsure. Evans moved...didn't know/care how the lockerroom would react. Jackson...unsure of his place on team...

Jackson had every right to say what he said. Now it's time to shut it and play ball. Money aside, does anyone (including Fred) really think CJ is going to get more carries in regular season games? No way. Not this year anyway. I don't care if they give CJ 25 carries per game in the preseason. He needs the practice. Fred doesn't need any carries in preseason. That's just wasting his 30 yr old knees and ankles. We know what he can do. The team should be honest with Fred and let him know he is loved...but they should not be giving him the bulk of carries in preseason ball games.

So, do the articles on today's TBD front page from the News and D&C, which say that Fred is still the starter, make these 12 pages (not to mention Jerry Sullivan's column) moot? I need to know, because I have all this tar bubbling, and these torches won't light themselves....

Normally there is no smoke without a fire. I personally think someone on the coaching staff reads TBD. We will see how it plays out, but I am not convinced the coaches are emphatic about FJ being the starter.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Why doest the above mystify you? Seriously, I am not being a wiseass, but the reasons appear to be clear:

1) Nix/Gailey drafted Spiller. They took him despite other needs (we are told) because they thought he was the BPA. Maybe they still think he is great. It appears so, right?

2) If Spiller develops, he will be more "exciting" than Fred. After Spiller was drafted, Mr. Wilson himself said that the team needed, "excitement." And this sir is a good thing for ticket sales.

3) By naming these players co-number 1 backs, or something of this sort, it justifies not giving Jackson a raise. But, who are they saving the money for? Clabo? We don't know what he breaking point was to sign here. What we do know is that we didn't reach it. Boss? No, he was a proven TE there for the taking, but we are going with Chandler. I hope it works; we will see.

4) Spiller is being paid #9 money.

My point is that the money they save on Jackson will simply be put right into Mr. Wilsons pocket, along with the savings from Evans.

It's nuts, but these are our Bills.

Mystifying from a football standpoint. From a political and financial standpoint it's not mystifying at all.

So, do the articles on today's TBD front page from the News and D&C, which say that Fred is still the starter, make these 12 pages (not to mention Jerry Sullivan's column) moot? I need to know, because I have all this tar bubbling, and these torches won't light themselves....

Certainly the Bills have applied some damage control to the situation.

Some other thoughts:

1) I'd have felt better if Jackson had a sit down with Gailey instead of Modkins.

2)"Loyalty" is a one-way street in the NFL. If Jackson was injured, he could be waived.

He's the 40th highest-paid running back in the NFL and the 23rd highest-paid Bills player.

He deserves more money.

3) To paraphrase two columnists, "a man can only take so much disrespect." It's laughable that some posters here could give the Bills the benefit of the doubt while questioning Jackson's actions (expressing frustration to the media)… instead of the other way around.

After all the bs Freddy's endured around this franchise, he's the bad guy?

Okily dokily.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Which was the cause & which was the reaction?

Frankly, I'm surprised that so many here pretend that the NFL is not like any other businesses with good/bad managers and good/bad workers. Yes, managements make frequent errors. How they handle damage control separates the good from the bad.

This is a star driven business with egos flying very high. Gailey should be experienced enough to know what goes on in his locker room. If he doesn't, then he's proving again why he's a better coordinator than a head coach. Completely different set of skills are needed for the two jobs.

Could this be more of a reaction that the offensive line is so dicked up and unsettled? And the team lacks solid offensive direction. And now we are maybe trick/gadget plays and an alledged wildcat (spread) where Fred gets to rest more.

I think he is just a voice of general frustration for the offense. Maybe poorly played by him. But maybe his heart got in the way.

I mean its just preseason but even practices, by what i have read, have been an offensive struggle at times.

It can be hard to continue to go to work for a boss who just doesn't seem to have a clue.

Ps i do like Chan alot but perceptions are just that for the employee. They look a bit lost to Us right now, don't they?