You don't get it

Yoho

Yes he did. And he lucked into Bill Polian. He wouldnt go out and hire a bona fide Gm cuz he had just got burned By a bona fide coach in CHuck Knox. He hired the cheap and Polian knew what he was doing. Once he left it was all downhill and Wilson hasnt gotten lucky being cheap since. The track record speaks for itself...People lie numbers dont...Im not trying to start a argument I just have a strong opinion about it.If I come across as a jerk its not meant at you just the owner...

Not an unfair point, but if Ralph Wilson was "win-only", "profit motivated" guy, he would have been out of Western New York in the early 70's. If you expected the owner to be a big spending, win at any cost guy, you are rooting for the wrong team. The ONLY reason Buffalo still has a team is Ralph Wilson. Sad but true

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Bills are the Clippers they are playing at 4 in the Rose Bowl. Please remember if Ralph Wilson wanted to leave Buffalo he has had every chance to do so and never did. See Bill Bidwell, Art Modell, Robert Irsay... etc. There is NOTHING about my favorite city of Buffalo that justifies an NFL franchise but the fans. If Ralph wanted an excuse, he had a million of them.

And this to me is exactly what ralph takes advantage of. I don't think the bills will move after ralph passes but it is nothing I can control so I don't worry about it. I do think threatening fans is a crappy thing to do to your fan base as is selling a game a year to toronto.

my comparison were based on him caring less about winning and more about making money some owners do this and donald sterling as well as imo ralph are 2 examples that's all.

I still live and die with the bills. I still check this board many times a day. I will be ecstatic when they return to relevance/dominance I just don't know if ralph will be the owner when it happens.

For some Bills fans rooting for the Bills and being optimistic is not an optional alternative. I am a Bills Fan. I have been so since 1960 when my World War II vet dad let me know how the original All America Football Conference screwed the Bills (the 2nd most successful franchise in the league) and accepted the Browns, the 49'ers and the Colts into the NFL and dropped the Bills. I have been a die hard ever since. I will be an optimist every year. I will find the silver lining in every cloud. I will hope that this year is the year that it all comes together. I am convinced that this year that Merriman, Williams and Dareus will turn this season around. I was convinced that Monte Ledbetter would turn the season around in the late 60's. For those of you that want to lament that we have not made the playoff for ten years and that the franchise will not turn around until the owner dies, the management changes or karma blesses us, you are missing out on the wonderful feeling of optimism that begins every season. Am I fooling myself? Maybe. But the great thing is I wont know until we see how it plays out and until then I am an optimist. I am one of the crazies that spends a large portion of my disposable income on Bills tickets. Guess what, it is people like me that have kept the Bills in Buffalo. So, forgive me for hoping for the best. Sorry for not doing the woe is me routine. If us optimists leave, the Bills are the Los Angeles Clippers.

It was The San Diego Clippers, and they did not leave Buffalo because of lack of support or optimism. It was something that was orchestrated by the league, the owner of The Celtics and The Buffalo Braves. Fans supported them.If The Bills leave and go to LA, let's hope they do become the cursed Clippers of The NFL and suck for as long as the Clippers have.

Not an unfair point, but if Ralph Wilson was "win-only", "profit motivated" guy, he would have been out of Western New York in the early 70's. If you expected the owner to be a big spending, win at any cost guy, you are rooting for the wrong team. The ONLY reason Buffalo still has a team is Ralph Wilson. Sad but true

If he even wanted to win a little I would be ok with that but its been a lonnnngggg ttttiiiiiiimmmmmme.....I expect him to have a well run money conscious team. They dont have to be the best every year but they should at least have a fighting chance to compete at the playoffs. The way the NFL is now you can have a team go from worst to first in a couple of years its happened. We bounce from below average to horrible on a yearly basis. At least once in awhile you should luck out on something, but we make bad draft choice every year make no real free agent signings that help this team and unfortunatley are the laughingstock of the whole darn league right next to the Bengals. Im sorry but thats the truth. And it will not change until the owner does. If that means we have to sweat it out like we did for the Sabres then so be it. I dont know what will happen but I just dont see the upside of Ralph owning this team other than torturing the fans till he passes away. He isnt gonna spend to get better he wont do it. He is more concerned with the profit than anything at all. And thats his right he owns them. Its also my right to wish for a change and I wish hard...

I maybe looking at this all wrong, maybe the time to actually see things how they could be is more important than how they are ? Victories come in different sizes & you sir are a winner.

/ Senseless F-in dribble here, we blow Moses on the mountaim.

Thank you for your first sentence.

I am sure your second sentence made sense to you.

Thank you for your first sentence.

I am sure your second sentence made sense to you.

I had a severe emotional shift at the end, almost as my heart almost healed then hardened again. 50 years of puke doesn't justify blind loyalty, we are built to fail right now.

Edited by Scrappy

The Bills are run as a uninspired company trying to eek out more bucks. Several decent players cut as cost savings. No significant free agents signed. This reduces the cost of the product while maximizing profits. Same thing GM did in it's drive to bankruptcy. Ford on the other hand invested in the product, produced winners and now is the most profitable car manuf. in America. Cutting costs to increase profits are what stagnating companies do on the way to the end. Apple doesn't tout cost cutting strategies! They invest, innovate and are leaders. See Patriots, Steelers, Green Bay and maybe the Eagles. Bills will hang around, Wilsons will make $, and fans will delude themselves that these cost cutting moves will be the answer.

I don't know why anybody would choose to trash the thoughts in the initial post. The guy who yawned is particularly rude. This guy is a die hard Bills fan from day one, and should be given a big round of applause for NEVER abandoning his team. He's lived through more disappointment and heartache than most of the younger people on this board. He's witnessed glory days and disasters, and he keeps coming back. I'm the same way. I'll always be a fan of the Buffalo Bills, no matter what.

For some Bills fans rooting for the Bills and being optimistic is not an optional alternative. I am a Bills Fan. I have been so since 1960 when my World War II vet dad let me know how the original All America Football Conference screwed the Bills (the 2nd most successful franchise in the league) and accepted the Browns, the 49'ers and the Colts into the NFL and dropped the Bills. I have been a die hard ever since. I will be an optimist every year. I will find the silver lining in every cloud. I will hope that this year is the year that it all comes together. I am convinced that this year that Merriman, Williams and Dareus will turn this season around. I was convinced that Monte Ledbetter would turn the season around in the late 60's. For those of you that want to lament that we have not made the playoff for ten years and that the franchise will not turn around until the owner dies, the management changes or karma blesses us, you are missing out on the wonderful feeling of optimism that begins every season. Am I fooling myself? Maybe. But the great thing is I wont know until we see how it plays out and until then I am an optimist. I am one of the crazies that spends a large portion of my disposable income on Bills tickets. Guess what, it is people like me that have kept the Bills in Buffalo. So, forgive me for hoping for the best. Sorry for not doing the woe is me routine. If us optimists leave, the Bills are the Los Angeles Clippers.

God Bless you, You are the man!

You can be optimistic and realistic at the same time.

There are a number of young players on this team that I hope to see improvement from. I won't go through the whole list, but there are tons of guys that can step up and develop into good players. I am optimistic that it will happen for at least a few of them.

However, this doesn't mean I think the Bills are Super Bowl contenders. That is not optimism, that is just being intentionally obtuse. Just because it is very obvious that the Bills are among the worst teams in the league doesn't mean you can't be optimistic about some facets of this season.

Yeah! Well said. :thumbsup:

The Bills are run as a uninspired company trying to eek out more bucks. Several decent players cut as cost savings. No significant free agents signed. This reduces the cost of the product while maximizing profits. Same thing GM did in it's drive to bankruptcy. Ford on the other hand invested in the product, produced winners and now is the most profitable car manuf. in America. Cutting costs to increase profits are what stagnating companies do on the way to the end. Apple doesn't tout cost cutting strategies! They invest, innovate and are leaders. See Patriots, Steelers, Green Bay and maybe the Eagles. Bills will hang around, Wilsons will make $, and fans will delude themselves that these cost cutting moves will be the answer.

The Bills are saving their money now - so that next year they can sign Andrew Luck...

Let me start by saying I respect the opinion of the OP. Everyone is entitled to their own perspective and opinion. The differences of opinion are what make the board interesting. But I think it is funny how the term Optimist is misused on this board a lot. An Optimist is someone who looks at a situations and finds the most positive reasonable outcome. An optimist does not look at a piece of poop and see a chocolate cake. An optimist would look at the Bills and say, "well they addressed the defense so they should be better this year" He would not expect them to win the Superbowl, that is just plain stupid.

Maybe if it was a sheet cake.