You don't get it

Yoho

The only things I can comment on is that there used to be a bar in Buffalo called Sestak's and Maguire's. In those days, players needed a supplemental income and for those guys owning a bar was as good as any. Paul Maguire used to bartend on a regular basis. I was too young to frequent the place but I heard that Sestak was more of a silent partner.

As far as the Lamonica trade went, as usual all Bills fans liked the backup qb (Lamonica) more than the starter (Kemp). However what has been lost over the years is that Art Powell and Tom Flores had great years with Oakland and it seemed we were getting this tremendous QB and WR (he was probably a split end back then). What a message board moment that trade would have been if such a thing existed.

I didn't know because sometimes young people can run into athletes like I was fortunate enough to do and have some stories! I grew up with the Bills teams of the early 1990s and got to hang out with Bruce, Andre, Thurman, Darryl, Don Beebe, and more. The aftermath of the Bill Polian debacle of course spurned all of this, but I am at least grateful that I got to see the Bills at their very best and now of course we have seen them at their somewhat worst. There are very few lately I have seen who want to know more about the Bills history, but when I get the chance to find out more I can't resist asking.

I appreciate you taking the time to try and answer my questions!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting theory but I have not seen that trend at all. The ones who are negative in the beginning seem to revel in the defeats. They seem to believe that it proves their incredible prognostication skills and football expertise. "See I told you we would suck" "See I told we should have drafted (fill in the blank)" You will never see me going into "full blown psycho mode". They are the Bills, I will root for them every week they play. I have been here since Richie Lucas and Wray Carlton. I have seen far worse teams with less potential than this one. So I am glad you find the Bills losing "amusing". I guess we all get our entertainment in different forms.

WooHoo! A Wray Carlton reference!:beer:

Pay no attention to the ghost of Lou Piccone..dry.gif

I like your optimism and I share some of your beilefs but my tank is starting to run dry.

The only part I don't get is when you say if optimism leaves the bills are the clippers... I think they already are the clippers with an owner who cares more about money, a failure to retain homegrown talent, and a complete lack of playoff success and appearances.

I love the Bills too and I think I will always buy tickets but I know they are going to lose this year. That's why I have my seats on the opponents sideline - so I can see some real professionals in action. I hate the Pats, but it has always blown my mind that Brady throw 10-15 yard passes the entire time the defense is on the field - mindset baby!

I love the Bills too and I think I will always buy tickets but I know they are going to lose this year. That's why I have my seats on the opponents sideline - so I can see some real professionals in action. I hate the Pats, but it has always blown my mind that Brady throw 10-15 yard passes the entire time the defense is on the field - mindset baby!

WHAT!

I don't know why some people (not necessarily you) can't understand that being critical of the Bills doesn't necessarily make most of us love the team any less...we wouldn't be here, if we didn't. Maybe it is a perverse love, but, I expect nothing better than a 6-10 season for the Bills (and that is optimistic for me right now) but I am so stoked for football season, and I will not miss a second of the Bills season...part of the fun, for some, (me included I guess) is seeing the big picture, or, at least, what we think the big picture is, and offer theories of where the team we love is succeeding and where it is failing. As negative as some may feel I am about the Bills, I will never, ever, ever, stoop to the level of wanting the team to lose games, no matter how unimportant they are, just to secure a higher draft pick...that, to me, is the ultimate in negative...not to get too melodramatic, but, at 46, I do wonder how many Sundays I have left, to enjoy the simple, but amazing joy, of just sitting with like minded people wanting something to happen, no matter how unimportant the results are, bigger picture.

I hear you Buftex. I've never considered you a negative poster.

But in general, it's been said before that many Bills fans have just about run out of patience and I understand and accept this better now than I used to.

In an aside, here's one thing I don't get about some of these negative Bills fans:

One poster writes a pretty convincing post that Ralph Wilson has been a cheap and incompetent owner (whether one agrees or not is immaterial).

Then another poster replies to this post with the thumbs up/smiling emoticon and writes something like (paraphrasing) "right on man!"

If you really loved the Bills, I would think the reaction would be something more along the lines of writing "this post is so sad but so true."

Why would you give the thumbs up/smiling emoticon if you agreed with someone saying that the owner of your favorite team sucks? Yet I see that sort of reaction often and recently around here.

Being critical is not a problem. I just can't understand how at this time, when none of us have any clue how this season will turn out, you can't turn on the optimistic gene. What if Merriman, Darieus and Wiliams anchor the defense and make big plays? What if Fitz and Johnson and Jackson , Smith and Spiller combine with a break out young WR and make the offense more exciting? I am not predicting this will happen but I can not rule it out either. I guess for some fans expecting the worst and hoping for the best appeals to their negative instincts, I far prefer hoping for the best and if it does not work out, I will cope with it. At this point, I want to believe and there are always reasons to believe. I understand why some criticize the Bills ownership and management, it is just that there are some positive things happening and the constant criticism and whining get really old

Yeah

While I applaud your ability to take a beating year in and year out, don't think that you have any right to lecture any fan as to what a fan is or is not. Anyone who's still around after this past decade is a REAL fan.

Amen to that.

For some Bills fans rooting for the Bills and being optimistic is not an optional alternative. I am a Bills Fan. I have been so since 1960 when my World War II vet dad let me know how the original All America Football Conference screwed the Bills (the 2nd most successful franchise in the league) and accepted the Browns, the 49'ers and the Colts into the NFL and dropped the Bills. I have been a die hard ever since. I will be an optimist every year. I will find the silver lining in every cloud. I will hope that this year is the year that it all comes together. I am convinced that this year that Merriman, Williams and Dareus will turn this season around. I was convinced that Monte Ledbetter would turn the season around in the late 60's. For those of you that want to lament that we have not made the playoff for ten years and that the franchise will not turn around until the owner dies, the management changes or karma blesses us, you are missing out on the wonderful feeling of optimism that begins every season. Am I fooling myself? Maybe. But the great thing is I wont know until we see how it plays out and until then I am an optimist. I am one of the crazies that spends a large portion of my disposable income on Bills tickets. Guess what, it is people like me that have kept the Bills in Buffalo. So, forgive me for hoping for the best. Sorry for not doing the woe is me routine. If us optimists leave, the Bills are the Los Angeles Clippers.

What homers and apologists fail to comprehend is this:

It is possible to simultaneously (a) hope for the best and (b) be grounded enough to realize that the talent level on the team is sub-standard.

90% of this board is incapable of (b).

What homers and apologists fail to comprehend is this:

It is possible to simultaneously (a) hope for the best and (b) be grounded enough to realize that the talent level on the team is sub-standard.

90% of this board is incapable of (b).

Although those of us who recognize (b) argue relentlessly over what needs to be done, in the end it matters not one whit to an owner who has committed the direction of the team down a dark tunnel of constant mismanagement and damage control. It really hurts deep down...

Although those of us who recognize (b) argue relentlessly over what needs to be done, in the end it matters not one whit to an owner who has committed the direction of the team down a dark tunnel of constant mismanagement and damage control. It really hurts deep down...

Nor does it matter to the homers on this board to spend their kids' college funds on season tickets and Bills' gear. :)