new kickoff rules suck!

I understand looking out for the players safety. But why go through the effort when the kicker sails it through the end zone every time? Why doesn't the NFL just place the ball on the twenty yard line and get on with it. I am starting to think the NFL stands for no fun league.

I understand looking out for the players safety. But why go through the effort when the kicker sails it through the end zone every time? Why doesn't the NFL just place the ball on the twenty yard line and get on with it. I am starting to think the NFL stands for no fun league.

I really think the answer is to move the touchback to the 25 or the 30. Give the kicker some incentive to try to finesse the ball rather than blast it through the back of the endzone. Although I guess that doesn't align with the NFL's goal of less kickoffs, so I guess we'll be stuck watching touchback after touchback.

Why have a kickoff - only time there will be returns is if it is really windy. Just put it at the 20.

And now for a different point of view. Prior to 1994 kickoffs were from the 35 yard line, before that it was from the 40 (not sure when it went from 40 to 35, some time in the early 80's I believe). With all the rule changes that have given advantages to the offense lately I'm happy with anything that helps the defense, even if it is under the guise of player safety.

You do realize that they had the kickoffs on the 35 back in the 90's, right? They're trying to cut back on injuries, and that's what the fans want. I watched the whole comeback game against the Oilers today and the game was still exciting even though every kickoff was a touchback. Don't complain.

Edited by Bills!Win!

If teams want their coverage units to make some hits and try to get a field position advantage then they will just kick the ball high. The only thing that this rule change does that really annoys me is that I have to watch a commercial after a score, then a touchback, followed by another commercial(and in our case being bills fans a 3 & out). I bet if the advertising was limited as part of the new kick off rule people wouldn't mind it so much.

it sucks and they need to bring back the wedge.

And now for a different point of view. Prior to 1994 kickoffs were from the 35 yard line, before that it was from the 40 (not sure when it went from 40 to 35, some time in the early 80's I believe). With all the rule changes that have given advantages to the offense lately I'm happy with anything that helps the defense, even if it is under the guise of player safety.

How about bump and run all the way down the field, that would give the D an advantage.

I have been a big proponent of moving the kickoff back to the 35 only for Overtime. The reason - the extra 5 yards makes a huge difference in the field position battle. Prior to the league moving the the kickoff to the 30, OTs were pretty balanced (something like 48/52) on who won. As soon as they moved it back 5 yards, OTs became whoever won the coin toss won the game. Then everyone wanted to change the rules to fix OT when all they needed to do is adjust the kickoff distance. I think they should still leave it at the 30 for the rest of the game as I agree there are a hell of a lot more returns.

The new kick off rule does suck. Takes away from the game.One of the most exciting plays in football is when a player takes it to the house a a kick-off return!!!!

Make the players where Better Helmets.!!!!

You do realize that they had the kickoffs on the 35 back in the 90's, right? They're trying to cut back on injuries, and that's what the fans want. I watched the whole comeback game against the Oilers today and the game was still exciting even though every kickoff was a touchback. Don't complain.

Well, not every kickoff.

Also, like you and others, I remember kickoffs from the 35 and the 40 and have no problem with this.

Well, not every kickoff.

Right - the Bills did a suicide onside, then a pooch kick that the Oilers almost lost. Nevertheless, that's not a good game to use for either argument.

Also, like you and others, I remember kickoffs from the 35 and the 40 and have no problem with this.

I don't remember kickoffs from the 40, but plenty of them from the 35. I liked the move to put them back at the 30 because it creates more excitement. I disagree with whoever said the NFL moved it to the 35 because the fans don't want injuries...I'm sure fans really don't want injuries, but the fans want the exciting play more. This is a move by the league to prevent injuries - players are bigger, stronger, and faster than they were in 1994, so injuries can occur much more easily.

I still think it's a bad move. I understand the desire for less injuries, but the players have to be more careful on kickoff returns. This rule really takes away the most exciting part of the game.

I don't care if they get rid of returns - but then they should get rid of the commercial break after the kick. That's what really pisses me off. They go to commercial after a score, come back, some guy boots it all of the way into the endzone, and then another commercial. It's like 10 minutes of garbage after a score.