Cam Newton better be good

Jim Plunkett.

Not a bust-started years for the Patriots & then was traded for multiple 1st round picks and a 2nd. Now if he was drafted by SF & flamed out, he would have qualified, but by the time SF released him he was definitely not a bust.

I guess Drew Brees dosen't fit either.

Since he turned it around with his original team, and signed with NO as an unrestricted free agent, he does not qualify.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Newton did look pretty good in his first game zipping the ball around. I don't think he ran the ball once (at least that I saw). Thats the part of his game I want to see after seeing him complete a few ropes.

I think I can speak for all of us when I say good thing Brees didn't go to Miami. :thumbsup:

You do realize that success with one team does not mean he would be successful with every team, right? And failure with one team does not mean he would fail with every team, right?

Ding ding.

Imagine Tom Brady on our team. He likely would have floundered and been released.

Had a long drive yesterday for work, car I was in had Sirius radio (hooray!), all reports: Cam Newton is the real deal.

Watching B.Smith, watching Nesbit, Gailey wanted Newton...HARD. And if Newton's the real deal (as all reports have thus far indicated), I would have been there to say "I told ya so." :flirt:

I said all along: Gailey + Newton = WOW

It doesn't matter what Gailey wanted... The Bills never had a chance to get him.... If it made sense for us / to the Bills, to draft him, it certainly would make sense that Carolina was gonna draft him... I mean Carolina had an arguably worse situation at QB than the Bills... Besides, I think Dareus will workout just fine here... Now if we could just get us an offensive line...

Yup. San Diego liked Drew Brees so much that they picked a new QB with the #4 pick in the draft.

Well to be completely accurate they drafted Eli Manning NUMBER ONE in the draft. Since NYG desperately wanted him they ransomed him off for a boatload of picks and money. Included in their haul was the #4 pick in which they drafted ANOTHER QB in Phillip Rivers. They sure liked Drew Brees didn't they. They then let Brees go in free agency.

I think he's done just fine in New Orleans.

Brees blossomed the year they got Rivers (who NY drafted and then traded). At the end of the season they had a hard decision to make and went with Rivers due partly to Brees suffering a shoulder injury. Brees was clearly not a bust when he left SD.

The bottom line is, until they prove otherwise, I'm not ready to say Nix/Gailey are the answers to turning this team around. Many people here have expressed confidence that they are. I'm going to look at every decision & idea they have before I join the Nix/Gailey bandwagon. If they are right on players unavailable to them, at least it gives me a reason to get near the bandwagon. If they're wrong on both Bills' picks and other teams picks, I'm going to be concerned.

You don't have to make up things. I asked a simple question: Look at all the 1st & 2nd round QBs who busted. Find me one who succeeded with his next REAL team. It's not that hard that you have to make up something like a guy going to a team he didn't go to. Just look at the guys like Leaf, Harrington, etc who failed everywhere they went.

Rich Gannon. Jim Plunkett. Steve Young. Brett Favre. Daryle Lamonica. And there are many more examples of guys who went the other way, good at their first team and bad after that.

The problem with your logic is that it assumes that after a few years with one team, a guy just starts over again with the new team. He doesn't. He brings all the assembled stuff, good and bad, that his first team grafted onto him. Carr, for instance, will apparently always be gunshy after five seasons of being hammered like a gong at a hippie commune. Whereas if he'd gone to a place that had bothered to put an OL in front of him, he might be a very good QB today.

[Plunkett was...] Not a bust-started years for the Patriots & then was traded for multiple 1st round picks and a 2nd. Now if he was drafted by SF & flamed out, he would have qualified, but by the time SF released him he was definitely not a bust.

Plunkett was released by the Niners before the Raiders grabbed him. I think it's legit to call him a bust.

Anyone comparing Cam Newton and JaMarcus Russell only watched long enough to see that they were both black, then checked back out.

Many people have compared him to Jemarcus Russel, but I though his college game resembled the play of Steve McNair. I think Newton will be a good qb if the Panthers are patient. He will show flashes but will probably struggle this year. McNair didn't start an NFL game until his 3rd year as a pro.

Brett Favre was a rookie who didn't play & was traded for a 1st round pick. Young is much better logic, but he was still traded for picks. Busts get released, not traded for high picks.

So I'll ask again-name me an outright bust QB drafted in the 1st or 2nd round who failed in one place & thrived elsewhere. You can't answer that one because there are none.

PS: an over the hill player on his last legs, like McNabb isn't a bust.

wrong. Kerry Collins and Jim Plunkett for starters.

Edit: oops, someone already got Plunkett. Add Collins to the list, though.

Edited by Erik Flowers

And if Newton's the real deal (as all reports have thus far indicated)...

Interesting...

I saw Merril Hodge breaking down Newton's 1st Pre Season Game the other day on ESPN...Hodge was even using Newton's completions to illustrate why he thinks Newton will never be a successful NFL QB...He said Newton does things wrong that (in his opinion) can't be fixed by more reps, etc...Hodge said in his experience QB's who have the problems Newton has, and had in College, don't improve enough to be great in the NFL...

Just saying... B-)

Interesting...

I saw Merril Hodge breaking down Newton's 1st Pre Season Game the other day on ESPN...Hodge was even using Newton's completions to illustrate why he thinks Newton will never be a successful NFL QB...He said Newton does things wrong that (in his opinion) can't be fixed by more reps, etc...Hodge said in his experience QB's who have the problems Newton has, and had in College, don't improve enough to be great in the NFL...

Just saying... B-)

Interesting...

The analysis I heard came from Rich Gannon, a former quarterback--unlike Merril HOGE, a former running back.

Just saying...

Who knows how he'll be as a QB until we see him play for a few years. But, so far, I'm real happy the Bills ended up with Dareus. And, to go further, I really like having Carrington and Troupe on that line, too - I think it gives us a D-line to work off of for years, something we wanted for a while here in Buffalo. I also think we might have been wise to go with Sheppard over some of the higher, nationally ranked, ILB's. Spiller, to me, will end up validating his pick and making it seem like a good decision.

It looks like Nix is much better at drafting than anyone we've had since Polian. Still, you can't go down the road of who we might have liked had they been available. There is no way to tell what might have been. You go with what you have. And, even if Newton doesn't succeed at first with Carolina, and the Bills would have taken him if they could've, you wouldn't be able to say that maybe Buffalo would have done things differently with him and he'd of had success here; a lot of the fortunes of QB's in this league, as young players, depend on where they end up, I think - the situation they are surrounded with, and whether or not the coaches install the right team and system around them.

As for Newton, though, he is so athletic, so physically gifted, and he seemed to have such an instinct for creating something out of nothing - like a mix between Michael Vick and Ben Rothlisberger - I just think he'll be special for what he can do that you can't teach guys. And, by all accounts, he has been very professional and dedicated, something other young QB's he's been negatively compared to weren't.

wrong. Kerry Collins and Jim Plunkett for starters.

Edit: oops, someone already got Plunkett. Add Collins to the list, though.

Kerry Collins took the team that drafted him to the NFC championship before alcoholism temporarily derailed his career. He was hardly a bust.

I'd give a review on Newton but the Panthers can't get the fish off the field. So far he had a decent run and a couple good throws but nothing thats really standing out yet. So far with 1:15 left in the first half he has only completed 1 pass to a WR.

Assuming the rumors on the Bills being high on Newton were correct, Newton better not be a bust for the simple reason that if he does bust, how much confidence can you put in our front office, whose predessors' records leave a lot to be desired.

Great point, hope they were bluffing to scare the panthers into taking him. Anothe reason not to get the top pick as GMs overannalize everything and end up picking the wrong guy (except this year when Luck is available, If Fitz doesn't pan out Ryan Tannehill will be our QB, strong arm good decision maker and great runner what else do you need.)

The critics say Newton has a bad throwing motion, they say the same about Tebow. If he can complete passes on the professional level so can Cam Newton.

Not sure what critics you are referring to because Newton has a very food throwing motion.