Ralph didn't want Vick

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

supposedly there was "football' interest within the bills. so that would imply the true talent evaluators here wanted him or at least wanted to consider him. cinci and the bills were/are desperate teams. desperate times warrant desperate measures. philly, conversely, is just smart.

According to Tim Graham, the "true talent evaluators" that wanted Vick were Dick Jauron and John Guy.

According to Tim Graham, the "true talent evaluators" that wanted Vick were Dick Jauron and John Guy.

There goes that theory. Not to mention the Bungles, who no one would mistake for "talent evaluators," also wanted him.

unless they'd been overruled many times before by wilson....kinda would explain holding on to them for so long, wouldn't it? it appears they were right on this one. and btw, who hired those 2 in the first place, ostensibly to make "football" decisions?

Wilson not wanting to sign Vick was not a football decision.

It was a business decision as it relates to PR.

RW certainly was not alone in those concerns.

Why are we dredging this up when we put all this to bed two years ago?

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Wilson not wanting to sign Vick was not a football decision.

It was a business decision as it relates to PR.

RW certainly was not alone in those concerns.

GO BILLS!!!

It might have been both a football and business/PR decision. Vick wasn't a good QB before he was incarcerated, and the chances of him improving afterwards were thought to be miniscule.

unless they'd been overruled many times before by wilson....kinda would explain holding on to them for so long, wouldn't it? it appears they were right on this one. and btw, who hired those 2 in the first place, ostensibly to make "football" decisions?

What would Jauron have done with Vick, anyhow? Vick said one of the things he loves about playing for the Eagles is that the offense is suited to his skills and style, allowing him to play how he wants. Remember what Turk said about Jauron's over simplified "pop gun" offense?

Edited by Punch

GO BILLS!!!

um, maybe because the covers have been pulled off and it appears wilson nixed the idea rather than the gm/coaches/scouts and because it appears the commissioner advised vick against going to buffalo? wanna bet how many copies of the new GQ containing the vick interview about this get sold? there's more than a little national interest in this story.

um, maybe because the covers have been pulled off and it appears wilson nixed the idea rather than the gm/coaches/scouts and because it appears the commissioner advised vick against going to buffalo? wanna bet how many copies of the new GQ containing the vick interview about this get sold? there's more than a little national interest in this story.

Umm, no. It appears that Ralph Wilson, not Goodell, nixed Vick coming to Buffalo. This whole story has been overblown. Buffalo was not an option and he was never going to be brought in as starter in Cincy.

Will be really interesting to see if Ralph or Mike Brown actually comment on this.

Ralph's too busy drooling into his cream of wheat

Umm, no. It appears that Ralph Wilson, not Goodell, nixed Vick coming to Buffalo. This whole story has been overblown. Buffalo was not an option and he was never going to be brought in as starter in Cincy.

Frankly, it doesn't matter. What Gooddell did was bad, the fact taht it didn't ultimately hurt anyone is irrelevant. It's not ok to shoot at someone just because the gun you're using happens to misfire.

The covers were pulled off a couple years ago. Everybody knew that RW didn't want to sign Vick. It was a potential PR nightmare and it wouldn't have mattered if all his football men jumped up on the table and shouted for him to sign Vick, RW was not going to do it. But if you and others missed that news then by all means, have at it. It's all good.

GO BILLS!!!

Ralph's too busy drooling into his cream of wheat

Frankly, it doesn't matter. What Gooddell did was bad, the fact taht it didn't ultimately hurt anyone is irrelevant. It's not ok to shoot at someone just because the gun you're using happens to misfire.

No, it does matter, becuase it turns out there was no shooting. Goodell can't steer a player away from a team (and a fan base) that didn't want to sign him. At most, he offered what turned out to be a very sound bit of advice which Vick wisely heeded.

The point, as they say at TSW "is mute".

To hell with all of you that say Vick wasn't an accurate or good enough QB in the league before his incarceration, he won football games as QB for the Atlanta Falcons and took them to the NFC Championship game. As for PR, as soon as Vick threw a bomb to Owens or Evans after evading 3 NE Patriot defenders for a game winning TD, his jersey would have flown off the shelves of any department store that had the courage to sell them!

Edited by the skycap

The covers were pulled off a couple years ago. Everybody knew that RW didn't want to sign Vick. It was a potential PR nightmare and it wouldn't have mattered if all his football men jumped up on the table and shouted for him to sign Vick, RW was not going to do it. But if you and others missed that news then by all means, have at it. It's all good.

GO BILLS!!!

care to explain where you got this information? seems tim graham was also unaware of it til yesterday but you contend that everybody else already knew. besides that, some here are questioning his sources. they must not be included in everyone either. got any other nice tidbits about the inner workings of obd that everyone knows but isn't really public knowledge??

and isn't anyone interested as to why goodell would discourage vick from the bills and bengals? yes, it matters. inquiring minds want to know.

Vick would be the one exception to the general principle that owners should leave football decisions to football staff. This isn't a case of Ralph deciding we really need a CB and ignoring holes in our offensive line; this is an off-the-field issue that justifies his input. It's about who he wants working for him, not who he thinks is going to win games.

To hell with all of you that say Vick wasn't an accurate or good enough QB in the league before his incarceration, he won football games as QB for the Atlanta Falcons and took them to the NFC Championship game. As for PR, as soon as Vick threw a bomb to Owens or Evans after evading 3 NE Patriot defenders for a game winning TD, his jersey would have flown off the shelves of any department store that had the courage to sell them!

Vick was a hell of a lot of fun to watch as a QB in Atlanta, but he did the majority of his damage with his legs. He wasn't accurate, he made bad decisions, he had a horrible work ethic (he admitted that part) and his reliance on running the ball had begun to bring in injury concerns. Like i said earlier in this thread, when he got out of jail he was viewed as nothing more than a gimmick wildcat QB and many people thought he would have to change positions. Philly's first inclination was to put him on the field with McNabb lined up outside. It is absolutely amazing that he has made this transformation after sitting in jail for 18 months, but I don't blame the Bills or any other team for not seeing it coming.

As a Ralph basher, this inevitably pisses me off. At the same time, as many others have pointed out, at the time Vick was making this decision almost no one wanted a part of him. I'm sure Ralph wasn't the only owner. Personally, I was okay with it, but I didn't think he would have much left in the tank. I know overall our fan base wanted no part of it, so its a little unfair to Ralph.

At the same time, if there is any front office that should be going out there and taking chances on extremely talented albeit extremely troubled players. It's the Bills. It's a franchise that needs a little luck. There was very little downside to the Bills taking a risk on Vick.

This post makes total sense. Not only that, Vick, like no other, could have prevailed over the weakness of our long term, pathetic offensive line. Fitz is actually a bandaid over these stiffs. Vick, in terms of mobility, is in a class alone.

I agree 100% in terms of taking chances. Not drafting Mallett was an example of this. They had nothing to lose, and a chance to gain a quarterback with almost unlimited potential. Nix could have actually drafted Mallet on a trade down and got him AND another pick.

My prediction? Ralph will sue, win, and make a ton of money. I am not a Ralph basher; I respect the man. And he forgot more than every person on this board combined will ever know about making cash.

Overall, seeing the Bills and their great fans get screwed like this sickens me. We have enough problems.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

care to explain where you got this information? seems tim graham was also unaware of it til yesterday but you contend that everybody else already knew. besides that, some here are questioning his sources. they must not be included in everyone either. got any other nice tidbits about the inner workings of obd that everyone knows but isn't really public knowledge??

and isn't anyone interested as to why goodell would discourage vick from the bills and bengals? yes, it matters. inquiring minds want to know.

If you feel like digging through the TSW archives from a couple years ago be my guest. My only point was that all of this was debated here at the time and the general consensus was that RW didn't want to sign Vick for PR purposes. I'm not claiming any insider knowledge of the workings at OBD as it relates to the Bills not signing Michael Vick. Just reiterating what we discussed a couple years ago.

GO BILLS!!!