Ralph didn't want Vick

This post makes total sense. Not only that, Vick, like no other, could have prevailed over the weakness of our long term, pathetic offensive line. Fitz is actually a bandaid over these stiffs. Vick, in terms of mobility, is in a class alone.

I agree 100% in terms of taking chances. Not drafting Mallett was an example of this. They had nothing to lose, and a chance to gain a quarterback with almost unlimited potential. Nix could have actually drafted Mallet on a trade down and got him AND another pick.

My prediction? Ralph will sue, win, and make a ton of money. I am not a Ralph basher; I respect the man. And he forgot more than every person on this board combined will ever know about making cash.

Overall, seeing the Bills and their great fans get screwed like this sickens me. We have enough problems.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me put my cards on the table. I am a "Ralph basher". I consider him to be an incompetent and an embarrassment. Ralph knows how to make money. There is no doubt about that. What he doesn't know what to do is run a quality football organization. His record speaks to that issue.

Ralph Wilson is not going to sue anyone because there is no merit for a lawsuit. In addition, there are claims that he didn't even want Vick. So what is the point. If the fans are being shortchanged, as you suggested, it has little to do with Goodell and everything to do with the way this mercurial owner runs this third rate franchise.

Goodell didn't steer Vick to any particular team. He no doubt gave advice but Vick made the decision where to play. Ultimately, he made the right decision. How can anyone say that Philly wasn't the right destination for him?

Vick just put out a clarification to the GQ story: "And after those discussions, (with agent, family, Coach Reid)it became clear to me that this was the place I wanted to play and resume my NFL career. The commissioner never told me to sign or not sign with particular teams. Again, I want to make it perfecty clear that this was a decision I made ....."

The storyline that Goodell steered a player (who the owner was not interested in) is a bogus and overly hyped story. It is common knowledge that the Bills, Bengals and Raiders are poorly managed franchises. There is no commissioner's office conspirancy against any of these comical franchises. These franchises have achieved their low status based on their own actions.

People are always looking for excuses as to why this franchise is so unlucky. There is no need to look to the outside. The answer is in-house.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, my view of this is not as sinister as many here. I think that Mr Goddell probabily knew that ownership in Buffalo and Cincinatti did not want Mr Vick in their organizations. Also, he knew that Philly ownership was surportive. Rather than have all that spill out into the media, with resultant bad press nationally for the NFL, Goddell eased Vick into the Eagles organization where he was "welcome" by ownership. MY guess is that Vick liked the two small market teams, because he could be the #1 guy immediately based purely on football skills. And after he did well, he would have moved on to the big money big market where he wanted to get paid. Since the character of Mr Vick is not exactly pure as the driven snow (the record speaks), I support the decision to go with other QB candidates. And, I am not swayed by the great rehibilitation story he has become....the right role model for WNY kids is "never in violation of the law", not convicted/rehabilitated.

Let me put my cards on the table. I am a "Ralph basher". I consider him to be an incompetent and an embarrassment. Ralph knows how to make money. There is no doubt about that. What he doesn't know what to do is run a quality football organization. His record speaks to that issue.

Ralph Wilson is not going to sue anyone because there is no merit for a lawsuit. In addition, there are claims that he didn't even want Vick. So what is the point. If the fans are being shortchanged, as you suggested, it has little to do with Goodell and everything to do with the way this mercurial owner runs this third rate franchise.

Goodell didn't steer Vick to any particular team. He no doubt gave advice but Vick made the decision where to play. Ultimately, he made the right decision. How can anyone say that Philly wasn't the right destination for him?

Vick just put out a clarification to the GQ story: "And after those discussions, (with agent, family, Coach Reid)it became clear to me that this was the place I wanted to play and resume my NFL career. The commissioner never told me to sign or not sign with particular teams. Again, I want to make it perfecty clear that this was a decision I made ....."

The storyline that Goodell steered a player (who the owner was not interested in) is a bogus and overly hyped story. It is common knowledge that the Bills, Bengals and Raiders are poorly managed franchises. There is no commissioner's office conspirancy against any of these comical franchises. These franchises have achieved their low status based on their own actions.

People are always looking for excuses as to why this franchise is so unlucky. There is no need to look to the outside. The answer is in-house.

You and I go back a while. Have I EVER made the case that Mr. Wilson is a competent owner in terms of winning football games?

Call me a conspiracy theorist if you will, but I believe that the commissioner wanted no part of Vick in Buffalo and that sucks. This was coming from the man who held the cards in terms of his re-instatement.

The entire scenario lends itself to being unfair to this really wonderful fanbase.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Well, my view of this is not as sinister as many here. I think that Mr Goddell probabily knew that ownership in Buffalo and Cincinatti did not want Mr Vick in their organizations. Also, he knew that Philly ownership was surportive. Rather than have all that spill out into the media, with resultant bad press nationally for the NFL, Goddell eased Vick into the Eagles organization where he was "welcome" by ownership. MY guess is that Vick liked the two small market teams, because he could be the #1 guy immediately based purely on football skills. And after he did well, he would have moved on to the big money big market where he wanted to get paid. Since the character of Mr Vick is not exactly pure as the driven snow (the record speaks), I support the decision to go with other QB candidates. And, I am not swayed by the great rehibilitation story he has become....the right role model for WNY kids is "never in violation of the law", not convicted/rehabilitated.

If the owner didn't want Vick on his team he was not going to be on his team. Vick didn't need the commissioner to tell him which particular teams were interested in him or not. Through his representatives he could easily determine who wanted him and didn't.

If the owner of the Bills didn't want him I have no criticism of him for his position. A lot of owners had the same position regarding Vick. My basic point is that Vick, after consulting a variety of people, made his own decision where he wanted to play.

It is well known in the league and with those who are involved with the coverage of the league as to which franchises are stable and which are not. You don't have to be an Einstein to figure out what category Buffalo, Cincinatti or Oakland fall in.

Vick decided to go with a team with a quality owner, strong front office, good coaching staff and support system. Especially after seeing how things worked out for him it is obvious he made the right decision as to where to go.

You and I go back a while. Have I EVER made the case that Mr. Wilson is a competent owner in terms of winning football games?

Call me a conspiracy theorist if you will, but I believe that the commissioner wanted no part of Vick in Buffalo and that sucks. This was coming from the man who held the cards in terms of his re-instatement.

The entire scenario lends itself to being unfair to this really wonderful fanbase.

Anyone who had a sincere interest in Vick's well-being would never recommend that Vick go to an unstable franchise such as Buffalo, Cincinatti or Oakland. I wouldn't be surprised if Goodell, Dungy, advisors, family members etc reviewed the plusses and minuses of the teams that were interested in him (which didn't include Buffalo because the owner didn't want him). If the owner of the Bills was against his signing then Vick had to know it as did the commissioner.

Go back and read Vick's recent clarifying comments. It clearly stated that he, and he alone, made the decision where he would go. As it turned out going to Philly was a marvelous decision. There is little evidence of a conspiracy (your word) against Buffalo in this Vick saga. His clarifications make it clear what actually happened.

The primary source of unfairness to the fanbase has little to do with the commissioner; it has a lot to do with the out of town owner.