Who is Patrick Moran? Supposedly major news.

bbb

Yeah, and the world has known about it for 10 minutes. Who knows what the border patrol and the league know, and what evidence they have. Saying this is a non-issue at this point is turning a blind eye to a very serious problem that could turn out to be a one year suspension.

NFL: Hi, this the NFL, we would like to speak about rumors that Shawne Merriman was detained at the border, and PEDs were confiscated

Border Patrol: Sorry, I can't comment about specific cases due to confidentiality rules.

The end.

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Ben Rothlesberger?

Goodell does what Goodell wants. "Bringing the league into disrepute" is all it requires - and that is determined solely at Goodell's discretion and judgement.

Your point is well made. My only argument against is this: Goodell could have interviewed witnesses in the Ben R. case. Maybe even the "victim". However, in Merriman's case, Goodell will need an official report from the border patrol. Otherwise, this never happened at all.

Yeah, like the Federal Government is just going to give it to the NFL. Maybe I should contact Border patrol about getting some of the booze they confiscate everyday, I'm sure they would be more than willing.

Don't be stupid. Of course they didn't hand it over to the NFL if its an illegal substance, and I didn't suggest that. They may very well have allowed some to be mailed to a lab for testing by the NFL. The border patrol almost certainly submitted it to whatever lab they use for testing. They don't know if its narcotics, steroids or lipitor without testing it. There aren't field tests for things like this.

So to sum up: "Breaking News: sources I can't tell you about are telling me that Merriman did something that wasn't illegal and that he can't be punished for. And if I'm wrong, kill my kid."

Classic. When does George Seifert show up at the airport?

Joe Logan said it was true, LOL.

Pat Morans latest tweet:

If I'm intentionally fabricating a story for attention, may my 8-year old get hit by a car.. Those who know me know better than that.

What a jackass for saying something like that about his kid...and he is even a bigger jackass that what he doesnt get is that he is not a jackass for reporting it, he is a jackass for tweeting he was "busted" for roids then writing the story and saying he did nothing illegal and was not arrested. "Busted" infers an arrest or charges...this guy is so irresponsible its absurd...

I just got off the phone with my source....Moran does not have an 8 year old daughter. I repeat Moran does not have an 8 year old daughter. He does however have a 7 year old with a birthday this month so obviously it doesn't count. more to follow.

NFL: Hi, this the NFL, we would like to speak about rumors that Shawne Merriman was detained at the border, and PEDs were confiscated

Border Patrol: Sorry, I can't comment about specific cases due to confidentiality rules.

The end.

You really shouldn't talk about things you don't understand. There is zero reason they wouldn't cooperate, and even if they didn't want to, have you ever heard of FOIL?

Check out this link, http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/PlayerDevelopment/2010%20Steroid%20Policy.pdf

It say according to the NFL player contract, a player can't use, supply, or produce any banned substance. But if he was bust on the july 28 there was no CBA, the new league season did not start until the August 4. So unless he has a position test after august 4, no CBA, no drug policy, no personal conduct, no crime?

the no cba, no punishment thing is patently false. this case may be different but you can certainly be punished for things that happened during the lockout. again i reference the pryor suspension for things that happened before he was a member of the league, and before this cba was signed.

I don't buy any of this story.

If this happened, the combination of San Diego media's intelligence network with sources in pretty much every state and federal agency, and California's obsession with celebrity dramatics, would have had this story out in the press by 8:00 a.m. the day it happened.

Edited by dpberr

a detention, and confiscation would certainly qualify as getting caught with something in my book. arguing semantics, not the real meat and potatoes of the story on that front.

i think your second paragraph speaks to why the mainstream media hasnt picked it up faster.

and for everyone crying about how its been three weeks - plenty of bigger stories have taken longer to break. the miami investigation has allegedly been going on for months before the first big article.

i am amazed that knowing he had this scoop for a couple weeks that he planned on delivering before the big boys would be willing to that THAT is the article he wrote. its like he whimsically woke up and decided today was the day, and took 5 mins to throw it together.

Where did the article say "confiscated"? Regardless... yes, it's been three weeks, but three weeks for a star like Merriman, who has already had a prior offense with the league, seems like a long time to hold the story, and plenty of time for it to be verified.

Don't be stupid. Of course they didn't hand it over to the NFL if its an illegal substance, and I didn't suggest that. They may very well have allowed some to be mailed to a lab for testing by the NFL. The border patrol almost certainly submitted it to whatever lab they use for testing. They don't know if its narcotics, steroids or lipitor without testing it. There aren't field tests for things like this.

Read the article. Merriman wasn't in possession of anything illegal. Border Patrol has no duty to provide the NFL with anything, and may be breaking confidentiality rules/laws.

I just got off the phone with my source....Moran does not have an 8 year old daughter. I repeat Moran does not have an 8 year old daughter. He does however have a 7 year old with a birthday this month so obviously it doesn't count. more to follow.

This reporter knows how to keep information straight.

If you look at Shawne Merriman's tweets on July 26-29 one certainly wouldn't think anything is wrong. Not that he would say anything, obviously, but he seems to be his normal kidding self, and for the next several weeks is constantly talking about supplements and the like. Hardly seems like a guy worried about steroids.

https://twitter.com/#!/shawnemerriman

So the border patrol needs to test this "substance" to see if it's illegal but Moran can feel free to report that the substance was in fact NOT illegal. OK.

GO BILLS!!!

Dude, we're not the ones billing ourselves as reporters. If he is using misleading language, that's bad journalism. Plain and simple.

poor writing does not equate to false information was my point. clearly it can be indicative, but to say he wasnt arrested so the term busted is weak to use, and because of that i dont believe any of it is silly.

Here's a link to just as valid of a story written on Aug 1st: http://www.spotrac.com/blog/?p=452

So what? What's your point? Because Goodell hasn't called you to tell you what he knows there is nothing to it? Stick your head in the sand if you want - but don't think that because certain facts aren't currently reported they don't exist, or might not exist in the future.

The best thing anyone can hope for, if they are intent on having Merriman on the roster even if he is or was back on steroids, is that there was no personal conduct or drug policy until the new CBA was ratified.

Is it strange to anyone else but me that this story breaks on the same day as the vick thing... until merriman gets suspended or the league comments on it I don't much care about it.

I do def care very strongly about the vick case and think its going to be covered by this story which is a shame.