The need for an actual Tight End

After watching last night the first game after lee evans. And watching fits throw to chandler 3 times in the first quarter it made me realize that this is a different chan offense and one that is going to see a lot of over the middle stuff as opposed to deep passes. Watching chandler drop that first pass really made me realize how nice a zach miller acquisition would've been especially after dumping lees (albeit measly) salary. Does anyone else agree with this.

On that "drop" on the left sideline, Chandler was open by 5 yards. The pass was 2 feet over his head. Would it be nice to catch that one, sure, but the pass made it a way tougher chance than it needed to be. He was wide open. To me, that's the bigger thing. He gets surprisingly open somehow.

That said there were only one or two of those loose passes from Fitz yesterday.

On that "drop" on the left sideline, Chandler was open by 5 yards. The pass was 2 feet over his head. Would it be nice to catch that one, sure, but the pass made it a way tougher chance than it needed to be. He was wide open. To me, that's the bigger thing. He gets surprisingly open somehow.

When a pro receiver gets 2 hands on the ball it should be a catch, so it's definitely a drop. Fitz could've made it easier, however. Overall, he was thrown to 4 times out of 9 attemps (10 if you count the D Jones interference play which doesn't count in the stats) and had 2 completions for short gains. Not exactly earth shattering but it's a start.

Our TE dropped a pass he should have caught.

0-16!!!!!

Build the oline, then it won't matter if our TE can catch or not. Paying Zach Miller 7+mill a year wasnt an option. Yes we are way under the cap, but we have several players that need to be re-upped, Williams, Johnson, Levitre, wood to start. Possibly Merriman, Nelson, Jones, Bell, fitz and Byrd to name a few. Miller would make us better now, but they are looking at the big picture. Keeping the good players that we have, drafting well an adding an important piece in FA. We added Barnett, smith and thigpen while keeping Florence, merriman and Wilson. We aren't going to blow the wad in an offseason where there really wasn't a lot of good talent to blow it on. We tried for clabo, but he didn't want to play here. Don't spend money just to spend it. 7mill for a TE in galleys system just doesn't make sense when we have to resign some of our talent and build and offensive line. Chandler is a young guy that has talent. He MAY be our TE of the future. He may not be. Give him a shot this year, in a year where we aren't going to contend, and see if he's worth retaining next year or if we need to add another TE instead. Again....chill out, geez.

Not sure why I even read tsw a day after the 1st preseason game. All the newbs come out of the woodwork and act as if what happened last game will be exactly how the season plays out. He dropped a pass...

To me, that pass did not look two feet over his head. It was a little high but very catchable. It was both of their faults, but to me, a TE or WR has to make that catch. It could have been thrown better but it hit him in both hands, he's supposed to have good hands, and he should have made the catch. The pass should have been more on the money since Fitz had time and was looking Chandler's way. But it also should have been caught. Chandler looked decent out there, though. And better than we have had.

The other pass Fitz threw to Donald Jones I thought was a great pass. Jones slowed down, pushed off, then poorly timed his jump. If he didn't slow down, which he did for no good reason, the pass would have hit him in stride. I don't think the DB would have been in position to make the play. Jones just slowed, misjudged it, pushed off, then mistimed his jump. A very weak play by him. I thought the pass that first looked high, on replay look was a very good pass.

I really dont want to bash people for their opinions because they are entitled to them.....but what the hell was the op watching yesterday?

Everybody drops a pass every once in a while....lee evans dropped his share.....stevie does it.....EVERYBODY DOES IT......

You are making it sound like he had one pass thrown to him and he dropped it.....what was Chandler's actuall stat line by the end of the game? Anyone? I can tell you he didnt drop many and they went to him often.

Fans are so funny....I expected to see people posting how happy that they might have actually found a big blocking target for Fitz and I see this

I'd like to know what some see in Chandler. Four seasons in the NFL and didn't record a reception until last year. Now he's the nominative starter? Sure Gailey isn't one to believe in an all around TE, but if they can't find someone better than Chandler, it'll hurt in short order. Only the offensive tackles group depth is worse.

I'd like to know what some see in Chandler. Four seasons in the NFL and didn't record a reception until last year. Now he's the nominative starter? Sure Gailey isn't one to believe in an all around TE, but if they can't find someone better than Chandler, it'll hurt in short order. Only the offensive tackles group depth is worse.

didn't we pick up steve tasker from the waiver wire? i seem to recall he played fairly well for us after some other team decided he wasn't worthy of a roster spot.

I dont go what players do on other teams....I go by what they do on mine....and I saw a huge target last night that could get open and catch the ball......

If Chandler was a beast at his other stops....he would not have been available to us.....

If this is the case, why did Buffalo sign Nick Barnett, Tyler Thigpen, or Brad Smith? They obviously care how players perform on previous teams or they wouldn't sign them. Why then can't a fan give a thumbs up/down on a player who hasn't produced in his entire 4 year career? There is little to demonstrate that Chandler is a viable receiver or blocker and the fact that 3 other franchises gave up on him is indication enough he's not going to be even replacement level for Buffalo.

Now I suppose someone will attempt to minimize my argument by saying Chan doesn't believe in TE's or you can't do it all in one season. Even though Zack Miller was perhaps pricey for the organization, Kevin Boss was clearly affordable and they elected to go with 3 street free agents, a UDFA, and a disappointing 4th rounder from 2009.

This circular logic that if he was something before is poor attempt at conflating the argument. I don't deal in hypotheticals and he simply wasn't good enough to remain on a roster. That's reality.

didn't we pick up steve tasker from the waiver wire? i seem to recall he played fairly well for us after some other team decided he wasn't worthy of a roster spot.

Don't forget Jason Peters, Kurt Warner, or James Harrison. Guys like this are the rule and definitely not the exception. ;)

I dont go what players do on other teams....I go by what they do on mine....and I saw a huge target last night that could get open and catch the ball......

If Chandler was a beast at his other stops....he would not have been available to us.....

Totally with you on this one, John. I was pretty happy overall with Chandler. Ball was thrown to him three times in the first quarter, and all three times he was wide open. Fine, he dropped one, but it was a tough ball. I'm happy to see we have a starting TE that can get open. He'll just get better as time goes on, in my opinion.

Everyone drops passes it's preseason, alot of TE's start off there careers slow maybe Chandler is a slow developer I thought he looked ok last night...... Only time will tell

Zach Miller never drops a pass. He doesn't go to the bathroom either.

PTR

If this is the case, why did Buffalo sign Nick Barnett, Tyler Thigpen, or Brad Smith? They obviously care how players perform on previous teams or they wouldn't sign them. Why then can't a fan give a thumbs up/down on a player who hasn't produced in his entire 4 year career? There is little to demonstrate that Chandler is a viable receiver or blocker and the fact that 3 other franchises gave up on him is indication enough he's not going to be even replacement level for Buffalo.

Now I suppose someone will attempt to minimize my argument by saying Chan doesn't believe in TE's or you can't do it all in one season. Even though Zack Miller was perhaps pricey for the organization, Kevin Boss was clearly affordable and they elected to go with 3 street free agents, a UDFA, and a disappointing 4th rounder from 2009.

This circular logic that if he was something before is poor attempt at conflating the argument. I don't deal in hypotheticals and he simply wasn't good enough to remain on a roster. That's reality.

Did you see the game?

Please point out what he did wrong and what he did right specifically, because otherwise it seems like just your usual whining, bitching and moaning about everything. Most of the points you made had some validity, and I don't think Chandler is going to be one of the better TEs in the league. But would it not be fait to actually look at what he did starting this year, his first full year on the team, and evaluate it fairly? He played about a quarter. They targeted him three times. He got open all three. He dropped one that IMO he should have caught but it wasn't a good pass to a wide open TE. He fought hard and ran hard after the catch. He blocked pretty well (I watched him on every play on a replay). He moved fluidly, he went in motion out of the backfield a few plays, he's a willing blocker, and he's huge.

He may be lousy in the games, he may be average, good, very good, or great. I predict, but don't know any better than you, that he will pleasantly surprise by being pretty decent, and better than we have had in a long time. There really isn't a need for a strictly pass catching TE in this offense because the tackles, especially RT, is so suspect, and we have a wealth of slot receivers, two backs that can catch, and Brad Smith. What this team needs, this year, is a TE who is reliable as a blocker, and can make 5-10 yard receptions 3-5 times a game to move the chains and keep defenses honest. If he is a threat in the red zone that would be a huge plus.

All reports coming out of camp, and seen in that first quarter of pre-season action is Scott Chandler is doing that small but important job well. He did it last night.

I dont understand the argument Vet...maybe I am just being Dense....

We are doing the same thing with our other guys we brought in

- The QB we brought in might have known Gailey's offense but he wasnt a starter when we brought him in

- Barnett has had injuries

One could easily do the same bitching with them (if they wanted to) but the fact remains the same......they are now Bills....it matters what they do with the bills......

and in Chandler's first night? He did his job....would you feel better if he couldn't get open or dropped more passes?