In the past 5 years, have we re-signed...

Virgil

Outside of McGee and Kelsay, which don't get me started on that one, have re-signed a single player worth anything or even had a guy pan out enough to be worth re-signing? This is partially in response to Evans as people talk about building for the future, even though he didn't cost us anything and we just signed Barnett who was just as old almost.

But seriously, I want to believe that we will re-sign Woods, Levitre, Dareus when the time comes, but what reason do we have to believe we will. With the way we went after Clabo, or didn't IMO, I'm officially on the "we won't win until Ralph isn't the owner" bandwagon.

There is only one thing that gives me hope. Why would Nix have come here as our GM if his hands were going to be tied like this? I can only hope that it's because this is how he truly believes the plan should go.

I was thinking the same thing. I heard people talking about him re-signing but I haven't seen it anywhere for proof. And again, in regards to the Moorman comment, i'm again talking about big named guy who we've drafted or brought in. Evans was decent, so I want to give you that except for the fact that we just traded him for a 4th rounder. I'm still waiting to see what percentage of 4th round picks will make the impact that Evans would have.

I get a kick out of the way so many of the cheerleader fanboys here repeating the cliche..."you build through the draft" any time anyone is critical of the Bills personel decision making...it seems that is supposed to the "smart thing" to do...only thing is, the Bills draft poorly, and only re-sign, for the most part, their worst draft picks...and then sign "low risk-low reward" free agents...that is what we like, I guess...the recipe for a decade of futility.

I get a kick out of the way so many of the cheerleader fanboys here repeating the cliche..."you build through the draft" any time anyone is critical of the Bills personel decision making...it seems that is supposed to the "smart thing" to do...only thing is, the Bills draft poorly, and only re-sign, for the most part, their worst draft picks...and then sign "low risk-low reward" free agents...that is what we like, I guess...the recipe for a decade of futility.

Well, our current GM hasn't had a chance to resign a draft pick yet. Part of changing coaches every 3 years is changing schemes and people wanting their guys. It's a bad cycle. Hopefully in a year or two nix will be able to resign his guys and move past the first stage of a rebuild.

Holding Donahoe and levy and Brandon against buddy seems.... Worthless.

I was thinking the same thing. I heard people talking about him re-signing but I haven't seen it anywhere for proof. And again, in regards to the Moorman comment, i'm again talking about big named guy who we've drafted or brought in. Evans was decent, so I want to give you that except for the fact that we just traded him for a 4th rounder. I'm still waiting to see what percentage of 4th round picks will make the impact that Evans would have.

FYI - he's on his second deal.

Your right signing and trading for high profile players such as drew bledsoe, takeo spikes, london fletcher, and T.O is how you win.

considering we re-signed Lee Evans, and Aaron Schobel, and Moorman, and Lindell, and Stroud (prior to going to a 3-4).... ya we didn't resign anyone who was good. just kelsay. WTF.

would you have preferred we re-signed takeo, fletcher, losman, and jonathan scott?

in all seriousness. whoever posted about us changing scehemes and regimes is correct. For starters, yes you keep great players in their youth (ie hopefully extending Kyle Williams). You also trade vets when they have some value still (Marshawn, Lee, and don't be surprised to see Drayton/McGee moved in a year or two if the young CBs develop). This is what good teams do. Do the Pats hit on every Draft Pick? No. But they get enough so they have a greater shot at hitting when they do pick (doesn't matter 3-7 quantity matters quite a bit).

In terms of resigning the new guys... It is fair to say 2009 is Buddy's "first" class. The picks of Byrd, Wood, Levitre very much resemble the types of players he goes after. Maybin, seems to be the opposite. Either way - I think we can all reserve judgement on Buddy's philosophy until it comes time to keep some of his own draftees. Seeing what they did in SD, there is no reason to think he wont. Also, it's worth watching what he does now with SJ, Fitz, and KW. These are guys in their prime who are producing. If he passes on them, I'll jump on the bandwagon of get him out of here. But somehow, I doubt he passes on extending them (unless they plain don't want to be here - and of those I'd think SJ with the diva attitude is most likely to bolt).

I like the text under your avatar, hell of a show!

And the "build through the draft" thing makes little sense to me. As I saw someone say in another thread, what does that mean exactly? That we weren't putting every effort into drafting successfully before, but now we are?

I think we can all reserve judgement on Buddy's philosophy until it comes time to keep some of his own draftees. Seeing what they did in SD, there is no reason to think he wont.

Ralph Wilson doesn't own the Chargers.

you're right... the 88yo Alex spanos isn't thrifty at all... not like his team isn't closer to relocating than ours.

the "money" issue with RW has been beat to a dead horse. He's signed plenty of big name FA from Paup and Spielman to Spikes and Fletcher. Takeo was the premier defensive player on the market that year. Did we win the SB? FA is a part of it, but it's not the whole story. For anyone who thinks you need to be a big spender and free wheeler in FA, look no further than the Pats or Steelers. The pats bring in a lot of names via trades, but don't overpay for their own players or big time FAs. Same story with the Steelers. Look at the phins big "splash" with Parcells and 15FA makeover of that roster a few years back. they won the division. How'd they fair in the playoffs? Heck, they've been significantly worse since that season and could easily finish behind us in the division.

The key is drafting well. It sounds easy, but clearly as 10 years puts it, it's not. The best thing to do if you aren't drafting well is pick FO personnel from winning organizations who have. Obviously the Donahoe/Modrak move backfired. Taking Nix, Whaley and Moody who've all had time with successful organizations, is the ideal route. Ya'll gotta give it time.

Edited by rpcolosi

I don't think they need to be "big spenders and freewheelers," but I wish I had an owner who sees Ed Wang as the second string left tackle as being as unacceptable as I do.

Ed Wang should have been seen as unacceptable before draft day.

Beyond that, I believe very good coaching can turn around most any team in this league.We see contending teams getting every ounce of ability out of their players while we get a Posluszny and a Maybin and a Kelsay and a McKelvin and, possibly a Spiller and don't have an ounce of ability to utilize their talents properly. We pick a guard and a center a couple of years ago and think we've solved the line problems.We draft Dareus in round 1 and draft a CB in the second when DaQuan Bowers or Kyle Rudolph are on the board. We Could have made our DL a force for a few years but we had to get that CB. We need a pass rush and an ability to stop the run and unless they struck Gold with Dareus, Sheppard, Williams and Chris White we are going to be a bigger embarrassment then we are now.

But of course, we do have two 4th round picks now !!!!!!! Go Bills Future !! :doh:

Outside of McGee and Kelsay, which don't get me started on that one, have re-signed a single player worth anything or even had a guy pan out enough to be worth re-signing? This is partially in response to Evans as people talk about building for the future, even though he didn't cost us anything and we just signed Barnett who was just as old almost.

But seriously, I want to believe that we will re-sign Woods, Levitre, Dareus when the time comes, but what reason do we have to believe we will. With the way we went after Clabo, or didn't IMO, I'm officially on the "we won't win until Ralph isn't the owner" bandwagon.

There is only one thing that gives me hope. Why would Nix have come here as our GM if his hands were going to be tied like this? I can only hope that it's because this is how he truly believes the plan should go.

Those weren't Buddy's guys, if we can start winning this decade we will re-sign our best players.

considering we re-signed Lee Evans, and Aaron Schobel, and Moorman, and Lindell, and Stroud (prior to going to a 3-4).... ya we didn't resign anyone who was good. just kelsay. WTF.

would you have preferred we re-signed takeo, fletcher, losman, and jonathan scott?

in all seriousness. whoever posted about us changing scehemes and regimes is correct. For starters, yes you keep great players in their youth (ie hopefully extending Kyle Williams). You also trade vets when they have some value still (Marshawn, Lee, and don't be surprised to see Drayton/McGee moved in a year or two if the young CBs develop). This is what good teams do. Do the Pats hit on every Draft Pick? No. But they get enough so they have a greater shot at hitting when they do pick (doesn't matter 3-7 quantity matters quite a bit).

In terms of resigning the new guys... It is fair to say 2009 is Buddy's "first" class. The picks of Byrd, Wood, Levitre very much resemble the types of players he goes after. Maybin, seems to be the opposite. Either way - I think we can all reserve judgement on Buddy's philosophy until it comes time to keep some of his own draftees. Seeing what they did in SD, there is no reason to think he wont. Also, it's worth watching what he does now with SJ, Fitz, and KW. These are guys in their prime who are producing. If he passes on them, I'll jump on the bandwagon of get him out of here. But somehow, I doubt he passes on extending them (unless they plain don't want to be here - and of those I'd think SJ with the diva attitude is most likely to bolt).

My thoughts to a tee :thumbsup: