For those that are worried about the O-line

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-wannstedt

"Wannstedt has been such a big fan of Gailey, he enjoys recalling the game plan Gailey devised in Miami’s 2001 season-opening 31-21 win at Tennessee. Gailey was so fearful of the Titans aggressive defense that he came up with a run-first, short-pass approach to keep the pressure off his quarterback. And that included running the ball in third-and-long situations.

The Dolphins managed only 11 first downs, but didn’t give up a sack. Lamar Smith scored twice, on a 4-yard run and a 65-yard reception off a screen.

“Chan was smart. He knew that our offensive line was not capable of blocking these guys in long-yardage situations. And he was going to call plays that gave the team the best chance,” Wannstedt said. “I think that’s a great story of summing up someone who’s a great coach.”

Let's hope Chan will do the same this year with the offense, but it's encourging to hear this from Wanny.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-wannstedt

"Wannstedt has been such a big fan of Gailey, he enjoys recalling the game plan Gailey devised in Miami’s 2001 season-opening 31-21 win at Tennessee. Gailey was so fearful of the Titans aggressive defense that he came up with a run-first, short-pass approach to keep the pressure off his quarterback. And that included running the ball in third-and-long situations.

The Dolphins managed only 11 first downs, but didn’t give up a sack. Lamar Smith scored twice, on a 4-yard run and a 65-yard reception off a screen.

“Chan was smart. He knew that our offensive line was not capable of blocking these guys in long-yardage situations. And he was going to call plays that gave the team the best chance,” Wannstedt said. “I think that’s a great story of summing up someone who’s a great coach.”

Let's hope Chan will do the same this year with the offense, but it's encourging to hear this from Wanny.

Seriously? That DID make me feel a little better. Honestly.

Gailey did show signs of that last year as our sack against went down.

Thanks JJ.

Well it's a little to late to change the offensive line, no one wants gaither's injured ass...... So short passing attack it will be, if we drafted all OL this draft with a QB everyone would be complaining about how we didn't address the defensive front 7.... People swear the kno football but have the most unreal expectations. GO BILLS

Or we can just improve the offensive line and let Chan dictate HIS style of play. Yes. I think that's the more intelligent thing to do.

Yep!

I realize a lot of my optimism this year is predicated on HOPE for the O Line.

I hope Levitre and Bell get better. They're both young. It's not an unreasonable expectation.

I hope Wood does really well at Center - better than Hangartner. Again, not an unreasonable expectation.

I hope Urbik plays better than he ever has before. This is probably like wishing on a falling star.

I hope Pears plays better than he has before. I need a couple falling stars. And a handful of turkey bones. Throw in a dozen 4 leaf clovers.

Hmmm... It might have been better if Nix had signed some Offensive Linemen.

It kinda worked last year, Pats, KC, Chi, Balt, we just couldn't stop anyone on defense

The NFL of 2011 is not the same as the NFL of 2001. It's a passing league now, and you need to be able to score points. Not gonna work if you can't protect the QB, nomatter how many gimmicks you come up with.

Edited by Nishous

The NFL of 2011 is not the same as the NFL of 2001. It's a passing league now, and you need to be able to score points. Not gonna work if you can't protect the QB, nomatter how many gimmicks you come up with.

Which is exactly what I've been saying. This is why it is important to draft CBs and not OL.

Think of it this way:

Drafting OL in a passing league would be like building an Igloo in Florida. An Igloo would melt under the heat of the Florida sun. An OL would melt due to the speed inherit in a passing game. A DB is more like a modular building. It can be built out of just about any material that fits its environment.

Which is exactly what I've been saying. This is why it is important to draft CBs and not OL.

Think of it this way:

Drafting OL in a passing league would be like building an Igloo in Florida. An Igloo would melt under the heat of the Florida sun. An OL would melt due to the speed inherit in a passing game. A DB is more like a modular building. It can be built out of just about any material that fits its environment.

Or equivalently, since it is a passing league it follows that getting a stable full of option QBs is your best run at turning this thing around.

Yep!

I realize a lot of my optimism this year is predicated on HOPE for the O Line.

I hope Levitre and Bell get better. They're both young. It's not an unreasonable expectation.

I hope Wood does really well at Center - better than Hangartner. Again, not an unreasonable expectation.

I hope Urbik plays better than he ever has before. This is probably like wishing on a falling star.

I hope Pears plays better than he has before. I need a couple falling stars. And a handful of turkey bones. Throw in a dozen 4 leaf clovers.

Hmmm... It might have been better if Nix had signed some Offensive Linemen.

I hope I can make it across the border.

I hope to see my friend, and shake his hand.

I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams.

I hope this group of scrubs playing o-line doesn't get Fitzpatrick killed.

I hope...

Well it's a little to late to change the offensive line, no one wants gaither's injured ass...... So short passing attack it will be, if we drafted all OL this draft with a QB everyone would be complaining about how we didn't address the defensive front 7.... People swear the kno football but have the most unreal expectations. GO BILLS

Don't bring rational thought into this, people want to rant and riot against the Bills.

The Bills had too many holes to fill with one draft, and yeah I wish they would have picked up a free agent OT, but they still might after cuts. I think that Gailey is a good coach and will adapt when he needs to and put the team in a position to succeed. Do I think they'll make the playoffs this year, no. But they'll put together a decent year and use this one to build off of.

Now, where's my pitchfork?

At the end of the day, it's hard to escape the simple idea of signing at least one competent OT. Just one. Not even a star. Just a good starter. We have three question marks out of five players and zero depth at tackle. I love the team and support Channix and like what I see for the most part. But the unwillingness to address the OL is puzzlement - and it will kill us (hopefully not Fitz) this year. And if you all believe we'll be OK, or short passes and screens will disguise our bad line, I invite you to watch Ed Wang in practice. D.Bell goes down and that's what we have to step in. Sweet Jesus Buddy, do something.

I hope I can make it across the border.

I hope to see my friend, and shake his hand.

I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams.

I hope this group of scrubs playing o-line doesn't get Fitzpatrick killed.

I hope...

Shawshank reference! Woo-Hoo!

A little follow up to the movie, last week, the 175 year old, 170' Oak tree along the stone wall where the directions and money were loctaed was split down the middle by high winds in Mansfield Ohio. While the other half is still standing, death is imminent. Sad.

I am still worried about the O-line this year, even after reading Wanny's comments...yes. But I understand why Nix decided to address the defense first with this years draft: http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/8/10/2355087/why-fix-the-run-first#storyjump

"While perusing Pro Football Focus and their offensive line rankings, I noticed the Jets and Pats having the first and third ranked offensive lines for 2009 and 2010, respectively. Essentially the Jets and Pats have two of the three best offensive lines in football."

"Last year, the Jets ran on the Bills 99 times and passed on the Bills 49 times. I actually had to double check that stat because of how unbelievable it was.

Last year, the Pats ran on the Bills 79 times and passed on us 54 times. Think about that - the NFL's best quarterback last year handed the ball off against Buffalo 25 more times than he threw it."

"I think some of the reason why Nix decided to build the defensive line first is because it's tougher to play defensive line than offensive line. Reactive movements and technique are tougher to learn for a defensive line, which is why you traditionally don't see defensive line draft picks light the league on fire immediately. It typically takes a couple of years for those guys to develop. Plus, we play in a division with two of the best offensive lines in football, who dictate play against us on a consistent basis.

After giving up 200+ rushing yards 8 times last season, the Bills had no choice put to fix their defense. There were so many holes to fix this offseason, that it was impossible to address them all. I'm hoping next year's draft focuses on the O-line, with getting quality starters and depth at the Tackle position.

Think of it this way:

Yeah, but there's no way you're going to fit all those round CBs onto the rectangular field.