Shannon Sharpe isn't hall worthy

major

Maybe even Orlando Pace. He was ok.

Damn life of an olineman always overlooked.

Sure fire first ballet

Defend Greece, on 06 August 2011 - 05:55 PM, said:

Pretty sure you can add Bruce to that and maybe holt

Maybe even Orlando Pace. He was ok.

major, on 06 August 2011 - 04:25 PM, said:

Damn olineman are always overlooked, yeah sure fire first ballet hof

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can easily name 10 NFL greats that belong in the Hall of Fame before Shannon Sharpe. I'm still perplexed as to how he make it in. Oh well, here's hoping Andre Reed gets in within the next few years.

Sharpe deserves it no doubt. one of the dumbest post I have read on this board :angry:

and after his speech tonight, one of the best I have heard at the Hall of Fame, I have WAYY more respect for him. Period.

Just because some other guys got snubbed doesn't diminish Shannon's accomplishments. He was the first TE to reach 10k yards. 3 rings, 8 pro bowl selections, NFL 1990s All-Decade Team

And that was only on the merits of his time in Denver. In the new millennium, he only played from 2000-04, and some pretty damn fine stats as well...I almost forgot he returned to Denver for his final two years. It wasn't just a big name, past his prime, returning home. He played 27 games those last two years in Denver, catching passes from Brian Griese, racked up almost 1500 yards and 11 tds...

I can easily name 10 NFL greats that belong in the Hall of Fame before Shannon Sharpe. I'm still perplexed as to how he make it in. Oh well, here's hoping Andre Reed gets in within the next few years.

This is the type of post that completely nullifies a person's opinion "isn't that the clown that said Shannon Sharpe shouldn't be in the HOF?"

"yes"

"Well who cares about any thing they have to say; clearly they don't know anything about football."

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm entitled to completely ignore it.

so the all time leader for TE in receptions, yards and TD's doesn't belong in the hall, plus he has three super bowl rings! OK he doesn't deserve to be in. Please go buy a clue!

Okay.

Not saying you're right or wrong but seeing as no one else has asked, I will.

Name them… seems like it would be hard to come up with 10.

What probably has the OP confused is that most of those "Ten" (Manning, Brady, etc.,) aren't eligible yet.

Shannon was, and very much deserves to be in now.

End of story.

I didn't watch the HOF induction, but I just watched the replay of Sharpe's post-induction interview with NFL Network. What an emotional conversation that was. I assume he covered a lot of the topics in his speech, but he was attributing his drive and success to the fact that he wanted to make his grandmother (who raised him) proud. I never knew that the Sharpe's were raised in such meager conditions. Good for them for turning that into great NFL careers. That interview actually brought tears to my eyes.

I didn't watch the HOF induction, but I just watched the replay of Sharpe's post-induction interview with NFL Network. What an emotional conversation that was. I assume he covered a lot of the topics in his speech, but he was attributing his drive and success to the fact that he wanted to make his grandmother (who raised him) proud. I never knew that the Sharpe's were raised in such meager conditions. Good for them for turning that into great NFL careers. That interview actually brought tears to my eyes.

If you cried( like I did) dont watch Road to Canton Shannon Sharp on NFL Network.

They went to his childhood home , it was a shack for reals.

This was in the 80's which makes it more hard to believe he made it from there.

You don't have a soul if you don't cry watching that too.

Edited by Bufcomments

Here are the players I feel deserve to be in the HOF before Shannon Sharpe (sorry, haven't had time to respond until now):

Drew Pearson (I hate the Cowboys but he deserves it)

Steve Tasker (greatest special teams player of all time)

Jim Plunkett

Otis Taylor

Cortez Kennedy

Don Coryell

Tim Brown

Charles Haley

Ken Stabler

Ricky Watters

Ken Anderson

Cris Carter

Sharpe is a Hall of Famer. All I want to know is how does Marshall Faulk get in as a first ballot HOF and Thurman Thomas doesn't?

Because Faulk was better than Thomas.

Isn't it obvious? He won a Super Bowl. There is also the fact that only 2 guys (Faulk and Warner) from that team are going to the HoF as opposed to the Bills, who had a bunch of guys splitting up the credit (so to speak).

This too, although those Rams teams had some other pretty strong players as well.

Here are the players I feel deserve to be in the HOF before Shannon Sharpe (sorry, haven't had time to respond until now):

Jim Plunkett

Otis Taylor

Cortez Kennedy

Don Coryell

Tim Brown

Charles Haley

Ken Stabler mabye...

Ricky Watters

Ken Anderson

Cris Carter

I don't think that all of the above are HOF players/coaches (IMO).

Edited by vincec

Jim Plunkett

Otis Taylor

Cortez Kennedy

Don Coryell

Tim Brown

Charles Haley

Ken Stabler

Ricky Watters

Ken Anderson

Cris Carter

Drew Pearson only has 7,000 career receiving yards and 48 TDs. But he's more deserving than Sharpe who has 10,000 receiving yards and 82 TDs? That's crazy.

Ricky Watters is only the 15th leading rusher in history, but he's more deserving than the best TE in NFL history? (maybe 2nd best behind Gonzalez).

Maybe Bruce. Not Holt. Modern wide receiver numbers just get more and more inflated because of the way passing has taken over the game.

Inflated? Because they caught so many passes? Or is a yard no longer 3 feet?

ANyway--Sharpe is an easy HOFer--but Richard Dent??

Listening on the radio, ESPN, on the way home from work...for the second time this week, some ESPN clown drools over Marshall Faulk, saying "he revolutionized the runnnig back position, never had a running back been such a big part of the passing game, as well as the running game..." Apparently, he never heard of Thurman Thomas or Roger Craig...

btw- Shannon Sharpe belongs in the HOF...major, you are an island on this one...but hey, I wouldn't put Marino in there either! :P

:thumbsup:

I think that is the 1st time we have agreed about a QB. :beer:

As for Sharpe, he's absolutely worthy,... money player, 3 rings with 2 teams, revolutionized the TE position.

Just to stick up for Major and play Devil's Advocate…

Sharpe was a below-average to average blocker. In that sense he was a hybrid player who was as much a wideout than a tight end.

Sharpe was listed at 6'2" and 228 pounds which is comparable to many of today's wideouts.

They say John Mackey revolutionized the position because before him, TEs were mostly glorified OTs but Mackey was the player who made the TE a downfield receiving threat… at least that's how I understand it.

The only validity to saying that Sharpe further "revolutionized the position" would be to say that he made tight end more of a hybrid position. However is this true?

We see today a continuing de-emphasis of traditional-style tight ends. But they are not being replaced with Shannon Sharpe clones as much as they are being replaced by wide receivers in spread attacks.

The recent low figures paid to traditional tight ends in free agency further supports the idea that the position is not necessarily evolving as much as it is becoming extinct.

If Sharpe revolutionized the position, who followed in his footsteps? He's almost alone as a wideout-style tight end and most of the great pass-catching tight ends of the last 30 years were, unlike Sharpe, excellent blockers.

Kellen Winslow, Eric Green, Ben Coates, Tony Gonzales, Antonio Gates… all of these players were much more traditional tight ends than Sharpe-style tight ends and all of them were bigger than Sharpe and better blockers too.

In this context at least, Sharpe was not a true tight end, nor did he revolutionize the position.

If you compare his stats to wide receivers, he's 21st in receptions, 34th in yardage, and tied for 58th in TDs (with contemporaries Herman Moore and Muhsin Muhammad, both WRs).

If there is an argument that Sharpe's not hall-worthy, it's that:

1) He was not a true tight end but rather, a hybrid tight end/wide receiver and that if you compare his stats to wide receivers, they fall way below being Hall of Fame numbers.

2) He didn't revolutionize the position as much as he helped speed the trend of replacing tight ends with wide receivers.