Fitzpatrick and Thigpen

Me too and I'm still disgusted by it. The way our fellow Bills fans treated Jimbo in '96 was a disgrace. I can still hear the booing coming through the tv set when it happened. One of the few times that really made me embarrassed to be a Bills fan.

God, I hope he doesn't mean Todd Collins when he uses TC..... :bashes head on wall:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan Fitzpatrick has a vice grip-like hold on the starters job. He didn't come all the way from a 7th round afterthought pick to a top 15 NFL QB just to let a journeyman guy take it away from him. I know that we Bills fans are used to drama filled QB situations, however this is not one of those.

ha, look man, i love fitz.

everything from wearing his wedding band on the field, going to harvard, his nasty ass beard, his long ball, his ability to lead, his offseason workouts in arizona, his ability to finally, finally bring some excitement to the offensive attack of the buffalo bills.

but calling him a top 15 qb in the league... shows why he isn't and shouldn't be our long term answer at quarterback.

not even 15 teams make the playoffs!

now, with that being said, in no way whatsoever should thigpen, or any other qb who isn't the designated "chosen one" take over the reigns from him. he should hold on to the starters job because a) he's a leader, and b) the more offensive continuity, the better.

also, i'm prepared to eat everything negative i've ever said/typed about him not being a great qb if he excells this season, which is a very real possibility. an improved defense will do wonders for our offense. shorter fields to work with, playing with a lead, more time on the field to grind down opposing defenses.

gonna be a great year baby!

I'm a big Fitz supporter. I think he did a good job last year and he's an easy person to root for. Class act and likable, good teammate, and fan and media friendly.

Football is somewhat Darwinistic. It eventually sorts itself out. The cream rises to the top.

The Bills were interested in Christian Ponder last year. They couldn't take him at 3 because it was too high but presumably they would have taken him atop the 2nd round had he slid there… and for most of the predraft period, Ponder was projected as a late 1st/early 2nd.

That indicates to me that they know as a rebuilding team that Fitz is a good, steady hand who won't hold the team back but in the long run, I'm sure that Nix/Gailey aspire to develop a greater talent at that position. They were patient not to overreach for a QB this year (just as they've been with offensive tackles) but sooner or later, and it's probably sooner, they'll draft someone they see as an eventual franchise QB.

Out of respect for what he did last year, the Bills and most fans are on board with Fitzy as THIS YEAR's starter. But the only person married to him is his wife. If his game unexpectedly goes south and obviously in the case of injury, Thigpen knows the offense intimately and would be ready to take over.

This will sort itself out so the lobbying and drama is a bit silly, IMO. None of us can predict the future… but I also think it's pretty clear what's going on at One Bills Drive.

I like Fitz, but it's a very real possibility that he gets hurt playing behind the line the Bills have. Add in the fact that Fitz plays the way he does... (throwing lead blocks for RB's and sometimes diving head first for extra yardage)

Of course we all hope Fitz can stay injury free, but I think Thigpen will be alright as a backup.

So many people getting so angry about this thread. While Fitzy is our starter, what he did last year was average. What he did for a BILLS qb was above average. Like many on this board have suggested in the past, we've forgot what to expect from a good qb. Fitzy ha a decent year. A year that bought him a chance to run this team....until he falters. What he did last year does not qualify him as our qb of the future. He earned qb of the offseason and start of the season. The rest is up to him. If he doesn't give chan what he's looking for, thigpen will get his chance this year. Count on it. Not a qb controversy. It's just the way it is. Billieve it.

The Bills were pretty terrible last year on offense in many, many ways. I don't think people give Fitzpatrick nearly enough credit for masking glaring deficiencies. Our line sucked. Fitz did an absolutely amazing job of reading defenses and getting the ball off to the right receiver quickly knowing he would be crushed. We had injuries all over the line with different players on a weakly basis. Wood and Bell were playing on one leg. Our run blocking was terrible and pass blocking worse. CJ couldnt get in the game because he was making bad decisions and couldn't pass block. We had installed a completely new offense with a new coach and Trentative got most of the OTA, training camp, preseason and the first week of the season reps. We had no TE. Our defense was so bad we never got great field position, rarely got turnovers, and the offense would often be on the sidelines for huge stretches usually playing behind. Just when we started clicking, Roscoe went down, then Evans went down. At one point we were starting a 7th round pick who had never played before and two rookie UDFA at WR.

Given the circumstances, Fitzpatrick was amazing. And I fully believe that much better QBs in this league than Fitz, if they played the same plays as he did on this team, would have looked and played far worse than Fitzpatrick did.

The Bills were pretty terrible last year on offense in many, many ways. I don't think people give Fitzpatrick nearly enough credit for masking glaring deficiencies. Our line sucked. Fitz did an absolutely amazing job of reading defenses and getting the ball off to the right receiver quickly knowing he would be crushed. We had injuries all over the line with different players on a weakly basis. Wood and Bell were playing on one leg. Our run blocking was terrible and pass blocking worse. CJ couldnt get in the game because he was making bad decisions and couldn't pass block. We had installed a completely new offense with a new coach and Trentative got most of the OTA, training camp, preseason and the first week of the season reps. We had no TE. Our defense was so bad we never got great field position, rarely got turnovers, and the offense would often be on the sidelines for huge stretches usually playing behind. Just when we started clicking, Roscoe went down, then Evans went down. At one point we were starting a 7th round pick who had never played before and two rookie UDFA at WR.

Given the circumstances, Fitzpatrick was amazing. And I fully believe that much better QBs in this league than Fitz, if they played the same plays as he did on this team, would have looked and played far worse than Fitzpatrick did.

What is hard to remember, as bad as the Bills offense was last year, overall... they were near the top of the league on 3rd down conversions, red zone scoring (granted, not in the red zone enough) and 3rd and long conversions, for a good part of the season. I think that was, in large part, due to Fitzpatrick. The statistical improvement from Losman/Holcomb/Edwards might not be huge, but stats don't tell the whole story. Fitz kept us in games, and the offense moved the ball at times...a stark contrast from what we had witnessed the 5 seaons prior.

ha, look man, i love fitz.

everything from wearing his wedding band on the field, going to harvard, his nasty ass beard, his long ball, his ability to lead, his offseason workouts in arizona, his ability to finally, finally bring some excitement to the offensive attack of the buffalo bills.

but calling him a top 15 qb in the league... shows why he isn't and shouldn't be our long term answer at quarterback.

not even 15 teams make the playoffs!

now, with that being said, in no way whatsoever should thigpen, or any other qb who isn't the designated "chosen one" take over the reigns from him. he should hold on to the starters job because a) he's a leader, and b) the more offensive continuity, the better.

also, i'm prepared to eat everything negative i've ever said/typed about him not being a great qb if he excells this season, which is a very real possibility. an improved defense will do wonders for our offense. shorter fields to work with, playing with a lead, more time on the field to grind down opposing defenses.

gonna be a great year baby!

Fitzpatrick made a huge jump from being a perennial backup to becoming a top 15 QB. I think he can take the next jump into the top 10. I really think that he can become as good as Eli Manning (but he has to prove he has that kind of game this year). This team looks like they are trying to use the Giants' blueprint of winning the superbowl. Fearless leader QB in Fitzpatrick, tough runner in Jackson, attacking defense with Dareus and Merriman, very good looking athletic group of receivers. If things fall into place I can see this team earning one of the wildcard spots.

Fitzpatrick is certainly an upgrade over what we have seen in recent years behind center for the Bills. He is a long way away from being a franchise QB. He is decent enough to hold down the job while the Bills continue the rebuilding process. At some point though, they will have to address the position on a long term basis either through the draft or by trade. Not this season, it should be a top priority in the coming off-seasons.

I don't mean this to be argumentative; I really am asking this seriously: What are FitzAmish's shortcomings/limitations that lead you and others to state that he "is a long way from being a franchise QB." Or, maybe better, what are those characteristics and qualities that define a "franchise QB?" I can see by your post that you are not hostile towards Fitz so I figure your answer will be a good one.

Call the doctor, there's been an outbreak of sanity on TSW!

Fitzpatrick made a huge jump from being a perennial backup to becoming a top 15 QB. I think he can take the next jump into the top 10. I really think that he can become as good as Eli Manning (but he has to prove he has that kind of game this year). This team looks like they are trying to use the Giants' blueprint of winning the superbowl. Fearless leader QB in Fitzpatrick, tough runner in Jackson, attacking defense with Dareus and Merriman, very good looking athletic group of receivers. If things fall into place I can see this team earning one of the wildcard spots.

Good lord, if Eli Manning is the standard, Fitzhugh is already there. It's the team around him that gets Eli mentioned at all as an elite QB

I understand. I never miss a game. My point is, if Fitzy sucks and we start getting buried, he will be replaced. Last year will mean nothing midway through this season. I like fitz, but hes had one decent year. He earned to be the starter. He is. If he sucks. He'll lose it. True story.

I understand. I never miss a game. My point is, if Fitzy sucks and we start getting buried, he will be replaced. Last year will mean nothing midway through this season. I like fitz, but hes had one decent year. He earned to be the starter. He is. If he sucks. He'll lose it. True story.

Well this is pretty much the case for every starting QB in the NFL not in the top 5-7 range.

You're right. And I believe it was Fitz's savvy and quick decisions (and feet) that bailed us out on a lot of questionable play calls.

I don't mean this to be argumentative; I really am asking this seriously: What are FitzAmish's shortcomings/limitations that lead you and others to state that he "is a long way from being a franchise QB." Or, maybe better, what are those characteristics and qualities that define a "franchise QB?" I can see by your post that you are not hostile towards Fitz so I figure your answer will be a good one.

Call the doctor, there's been an outbreak of sanity on TSW!

Good lord, if Eli Manning is the standard, Fitzhugh is already there. It's the team around him that gets Eli mentioned at all as an elite QB

You just eradicated the sanity outbreak.

I don't want to come across as slamming Fitzpatrick. He is a good fit for the Bills right now. Why don't I consider him a long term option? IMO, there are serious concerns regarding accuracy and ball security. Last season Fitzpatrick had 20 turnovers and was sacked 24 times. Of course they were not all his fault. I try to keep it in perspective considering the Bills offense he took over. He deserves full credit for the success he has had. As I think about the possibilities for the this team two or three seasons from now I don't feel comfortable enough with Fitzpatrick as the #1 QB not to want the Bills to make an investment in a younger QB and groom him to be ready for when this team finally turns that corner towards being a successful team.

I am not a closing the door on Fitzpatrick. He will have 16 opportunities to either change my mind or validate my concerns. As a long suffering Bills fan desperately hoping for the QB position to be stabilized I am hoping for the later. While some fans will measure this seasons success on wins or losses I am looking at this season as if it is a 16 game extended preseason. If Fitzpatrick can cut down on the turnovers and do a better job of avoiding sacks it can change my opinion of his ability as QB.

I am not a closing the door on Fitzpatrick. He will have 16 opportunities to either change my mind or validate my concerns. As a long suffering Bills fan desperately hoping for the QB position to be stabilized I am hoping for the later. While some fans will measure this seasons success on wins or losses I am looking at this season as if it is a 16 game extended preseason. If Fitzpatrick can cut down on the turnovers and do a better job of avoiding sacks it can change my opinion of his ability as QB.

That's really the only way to look at it. No one knows if he will take a step up or a step back.

I'm a big Fitz supporter now after closely watching him play in the 13 games. But I was dead wrong about him before. I thought there was no way he could be a legitimate starting QB in this league after watching him a lot before 2010. I was wrong, and I could be wrong again. But he never did the things he did last year.

Gailey is a very good coach for someone like Fitz, who is both physical and cerebral. Chan has the ability to bring the best out in some (but not all) QBs. He did it with Fitzpatrick. And if the line holds up, with all the weapons we have, Fitz could have a very good year. Right now, Gailey, Fitz himself, Nix, as well as everyone on this board, have an opinion on whether or not he will be crappy, average, good, very good, or great. It could be any of them, and will probably be all of them at different times. But the jury is clearly out on him and we'll just have to let the games begin to find out.

I laugh at people who say that think they know what Fitz is capable of as a starter.....

- Was almost cut last year and got NO starter reps till Trent was cut

- Offensive line rotations on the right side were pathetic.....Cornel Green was pathetic

- A young wide reciever core getting used to a new QB

- NO TIGHT END to speak of

I fully believe that this offense is better this year....if for no other reason then these guys are together and have been together through an offseason.

As for the Fitz vs Thigpen thing? Is it really so bad that if Fitz gets dinged up we have a decent relief pitcher in the bullpen? Instead of thinking QB conterversy we should be happy that should Fitz go down....the team isn't dead.

The game that sold me on Fitz was the Raven game. Simply put, it was the best QBd game we've had since Kelly. No, he didn't have the greatest passing day but as far as quarterbacking he was masterful. He had Ray Lewis totally confused. Every time the Ravens adjusted, Fitz switched them up and burned them. The receivers did a great job with their hots as well. What Fitz did to that Raven D just isn't done very often, even by the best QBs in the league. He took what they gave all day and made them pay.

We could do a lot worse than Fitz at QB.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I fully believe that this offense is better this year....if for no other reason then these guys are together and have been together through an offseason.

The offense is the same as last year so there can be no other reason than the one you stated.