Tight End: Scott Chandler

Got_Wood

Height: 6'7"

Weight: 270 lbs

College: Iowa

Stats: In his last college season had 591 yards receiving with 6 TDs. Ranked 2nd in his schools history with 117 receptions for 1,467 yards and 10 touchdowns.

2007 Draft: Selected in the 4th round by the San Diego Chargers.

Check out his draft report from 2007. This guy has a lot more skill at tight end than anyone we've had on this roster in a while. He was the 4th ranked TE in his draft class (ranked ahead of Kevin Boss and Matt Spaeth, and just below Zach Miller and Greg Olsen), not unlike Shawne Nelson who was also the 4th ranked TE in his own draft class.

Now he hasn't done anything as a pro, but it will be interesting to see if Chan can turn this guys career around. Between him and Nelson, I hope either one of these guys shows at least a little bit of the potential they flashed coming out of college.

Edited by Got_Wood

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Height: 6'7"

Weight: 270 lbs

College: Iowa

Stats: In his last college season had 591 yards receiving with 6 TDs. Ranked 2nd in his schools history with 117 receptions for 1,467 yards and 10 touchdowns.

2007 Draft: Selected in the 4th round by the San Diego Chargers.

Check out his draft report from 2007. This guy has a lot more skill at tight end than anyone we've had on this roster in a while. He was the 4th ranked TE in his draft class (ranked ahead of Kevin Boss and Matt Spaeth, and just below Zach Miller and Greg Olsen), not unlike Shawne Nelson who was also the 4th ranked TE in his own draft class.

Now he hasn't done anything as a pro, but it will be interesting to see if Chan can turn this guys career around. Between him and Nelson, I hope either one of these guys shows at least a little bit of the potential they flashed coming out of college.

Yes, he has ability. He isn't the typical Bills over achieviing h-back type, he could be very good.

He also could be nothing. This can be said of a lot of Bills players. Too many. You just can't go into the season every year expecting 3-4 of these type of guys to emerge on both sides of the ball.

If all they're looking for is a blocking TE he seems like as good of an option as any.

I think you are underselling his talent a bit, he can catch the ball and is a big target.

Yes, he has ability. He isn't the typical Bills over achieviing h-back type, he could be very good.

He also could be nothing. This can be said of a lot of Bills players. Too many. You just can't go into the season every year expecting 3-4 of these type of guys to emerge on both sides of the ball.

I think you are underselling his talent a bit, he can catch the ball and is a big target.

I think you're right on the money. Although tight end isn't one of the most important positions that I would be worried about, it would be nice to have some more sure fire talent out there at some other spots. We're really hoping that guys step up as starting NFL players, when they haven't proven to do so consistently in the past. Guys like Pears at right tackle, Urbik at right guard, and Wilson at safety. Then we've got some question marks with guys that have had previous injuries like Davis and Merriman at linebacker, and McGee at corner. I HOPE all of these guys step up. But that isn't good enough when we're facing the Pats, Jets, and Dolphins twice each every season.

The guy may not be an elite TE, but even if he is okay, he's huge and fast. He's going to be a problem to cover and account for. On paper, he looks great, but I really want to see what he can do. You have to wonder why a team would cut him if he had the stuff.

The guy may not be an elite TE, but even if he is okay, he's huge and fast. He's going to be a problem to cover and account for. On paper, he looks great, but I really want to see what he can do. You have to wonder why a team would cut him if he had the stuff.

I never really saw any "fast" out of him. I just looked at his draft numbers, he ran 4.78 and 4.87 (combine/pro-day) in the 40 4.5 years ago. Not bad for a guy his size, but it's not like he's going to be flying by LB's. The Bills O line could use some blocking help, so If he knows how to use his size blocking and can use his height in the red zone, then he should get his shot...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I think their plan all along was for him to be the primary TE this year. All this talk of Nelson developing or signing Boss or Miller is fantasy.

I fully expect Nelson to be cut. If they only keep two TEs, it will probably be Chandler and Martin. If they keep three, look for Pianalto (UDFA from UNC) to sneak in there.

I never really saw any "fast" out of him. I just looked at his draft numbers, he ran 4.78 and 4.87 (combine/pro-day) in the 40 4.5 years ago. Not bad for a guy his size, but it's not like he's going to be flying by LB's. The Bills O line could use some blocking help, so If he knows how to use his size blocking and can use his height in the red zone, then he should get his shot...

I just laughed out loud at your avatar. Amazing.

Metz and Riemersma weren't very fast either. But their size created problems.

Easy big fella.

Given that Zach Miller isn't in a Bills uniform, I'm willing to give Chandler a shot. He holds TE records at Iowa in the middle of the greats like Marv Cook and Dallas Clark, so he can't be half bad.

Ok at 272 pounds Chandler literally is like having a big mobile undersized offensive linemen on the field......if the guy catches everything thrown at him he literally could be awesome for this team.....

There were SEVERAL TE options available this year....Buffalo passed on all of them. I am thinking they like Chandler a lot.

Ok at 272 pounds Chandler literally is like having a big mobile undersized offensive linemen on the field......if the guy catches everything thrown at him he literally could be awesome for this team.....

There were SEVERAL TE options available this year....Buffalo passed on all of them. I am thinking they like Chandler a lot.

I think they do as well. But I have to wonder why a guy who finished 2nd in Iowa history at TE hasn't caught even a single pass yet in the NFL? It's odd.