UFO Found on Ocean Floor?

CosmicBills

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Ever since that astronaut lady drove across the country in diapers, they lost all credibility

I just started binge-watching Fargo season 2 and the alien subplot is great fun...

You can find crazy people in any group, even astronauts, but a prerequisite is that astronauts are supposed to be good at math.  I guess they waived that at some point.

Anyway, does a British astronaut really count?  If I go to NYC and hitch a ride in a yellow car am I a taxi driver?

3 hours ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

Pretty interesting 2020 Scientific American article on the general topic of - - If the universe is as old as we believe, and aliens exist, how come we ain't found any of 'em here on earth?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/alone-in-a-crowded-milky-way/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

If they’re as advanced as we would assume they would be to travel the stars, chances are high we wouldn’t be able to find them unless they wanted to be found. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

Pretty interesting 2020 Scientific American article on the general topic of - - If the universe is as old as we believe, and aliens exist, how come we ain't found any of 'em here on earth?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/alone-in-a-crowded-milky-way/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

I think the most interesting part was the notion that we haven't even been able to detect if there was an earlier industrial period on earth. 

The earth has gone through several major ice ages and if an earlier industrial civilization passed away or simply just left Earth, we wouldn't even know about it. There'd be nothing to find except "isotopic or chemical stratigraphic anomalies"

It could be that an earlier civilization left and simply hasn't come back. There'd be no reason to if they thought this place was dead.

7 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

If they’re as advanced as we would assume they would be to travel the stars, chances are high we wouldn’t be able to find them unless they wanted to be found. 

We found their tic-tac probes, man...

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

4 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

We found their tic-tac probes, man...

And the anal probes.  People kinda notice those

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

who says we haven't?

Is there proof that they don't exist? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

who says we haven't?

Is there proof that they don't exist? 

Proof that something doesn't exist is a high threshold.  Actually it can't really be met, only approached.  

Mathematically we are close enough to that proof to know that any penny spent in further search is wasted if that penny is truly looking for aliens.  If the penny is justified because alien searching is more understandable, exciting and sexy than straight up space research I'm ok with it.  We need to understand space for future generations because our planet and solar system are mortals.  We are a long way from reaching out to the stars but many people need to hear we're looking for something for now.....aliens.....or the money might dry up.  I'm fine with the deception in service of learning about things that are real.

The math says that if our species survives another 14 billion years we are highly unlikely to encounter any intelligent communicative aliens in our universe.  But in order to survive we will need to become aliens.  I say keep looking as long as the deception is not exposed.  Maybe by the time it is, enough people will understand that this learning is necessary.  If not, something new can be fabricated.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Billion of planets out there and JUST this speck of dust has life? 

the odds that intelligent life doesn't exist - come on man

People believe in Yeti, Bigfoot, Chupacabra, Nessie, Kraken, Skunk ape, Jersey Devil, Mothman and a score of more creatures.. but Aliens from a different planet ... 

And then there are the Mormons and  Kolob 

Mormon cosmology teaches that the Earth is not unique, but that it is one of many inhabited planets, each planet created for the purpose of bringing about the "immortality and eternal life

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost
  • Like (+1) 1