UFO Found on Ocean Floor?

CosmicBills

8 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Billion of planets out there and JUST this speck of duct has life? 

the odds that intelligent life doesn't exist - come on man

People believe in Yeti, Bigfoot, Chupacabra, Nessie, Kraken, Skunk ape, Jersey Devil, Mothman and a score of more creatures.. but Aliens from a different planet ... 

And then there are the Mormons and  Kolob 

Mormon cosmology teaches that the Earth is not unique, but that it is one of many inhabited planets, each planet created for the purpose of bringing about the "immortality and eternal life

Except math.

Accept math.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Billion of planets out there and JUST this speck of duct has life? 

the odds that intelligent life doesn't exist - come on man

People believe in Yeti, Bigfoot, Chupacabra, Nessie, Kraken, Skunk ape, Jersey Devil, Mothman and a score of more creatures.. but Aliens from a different planet ... 

And then there are the Mormons and  Kolob 

Mormon cosmology teaches that the Earth is not unique, but that it is one of many inhabited planets, each planet created for the purpose of bringing about the "immortality and eternal life

Billions of planets doesn't do it justice there are over a hundred billion stars in our galaxy and their are at least over a hundred billion galaxies in the known universe. The Universe is ***** mind breakingly huge.

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Except math.

Accept math.

You've never adequately explained your math. And now you're saying we've already exhaustively searched to the point that the answer seems apparent? I showed you that the distance our own signals have traveled is only a tiny speck in our own galaxy. And even assuming we were looking for the signals the entire time we've been sending them that's what at best a hundred years. Within the massive time span of the universe that's enough to indicate we're alone in the universe? At best all that might prove is that nobody within that same speck has been sending signals we detect within that hundred years.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Billions of planets doesn't do it justice there are over a hundred billion stars in our galaxy and their are at least over a hundred billion galaxies in the known universe. The Universe is ***** mind breakingly huge.

I was trying to keep the math "manageable"   

We are like - Hotron hears a Who in the universe 

20 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I was trying to keep the math "manageable"   

We are like - Hotron hears a Who in the universe 

I get it the numbers are ridiculous when you try and look at them and a billion is a number everyone knows off the top of their head. I mean lets say there are 1 billion planets in each galaxy and 1 billion galaxies that gives a number for planets like this:

x 1,000,000,000

That's what a quintillion?

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Except math.

Accept math.

we are constantly discovering, here on Earth, that life exists in the most inhospitable of environments, where it was thought it could never exist.  take that math and apply it to the quintillions of hospitable planets. your maths do not add up.

Edited by Foxx
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Foxx said:

we are constantly discovering, here on Earth, that life exists in the most inhospitable of environments, where it was thought it could never exist.  take that math and apply it to the quintillions of hospitable planets. your maths do not add up.

Lol on two fronts.

1. I would not be surprised in the least if there were microbial life elsewhere in this universe but that is not the discussion.  The discussion is about intelligent life capable of communicating.

2. The crackpots in Greggy's latest article estimate that if space is all the oceans of the world, then we have searched about a hot tub's worth.  Sounds small.  Now bring a hot tub into any part of any ocean in the world.  Fill it.  Look for signs of life.  You'll find lots.  Bad choice of words by the crackpots.

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

You've never adequately explained your math. And now you're saying we've already exhaustively searched to the point that the answer seems apparent? I showed you that the distance our own signals have traveled is only a tiny speck in our own galaxy. And even assuming we were looking for the signals the entire time we've been sending them that's what at best a hundred years. Within the massive time span of the universe that's enough to indicate we're alone in the universe? At best all that might prove is that nobody within that same speck has been sending signals we detect within that hundred years.

You are not incorrect about our outbound signals but you are wildly incorrect about detecting signals.  Think that part through again.

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

You are not incorrect about our outbound signals but you are wildly incorrect about detecting signals.  Think that part through again.

No you're wrong...huh it's real easy to debate this way without actually explaining anything.

But go ahead enlighten me in what way is any signal we should of detected(assuming that they're sending the same kind of signals we do) going to of been outside that speck that we should of been able to detect within this last hundred years?

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Lol on two fronts.

1. I would not be surprised in the least if there were microbial life elsewhere in this universe but that is not the discussion.  The discussion is about intelligent life capable of communicating.

2. The crackpots in Greggy's latest article estimate that if space is all the oceans of the world, then we have searched about a hot tub's worth.  Sounds small.  Now bring a hot tub into any part of any ocean in the world.  Fill it.  Look for signs of life.  You'll find lots.  Bad choice of words by the crackpots.

1. Assuming life occurs elsewhere in the universe essentially would make it extremely unlikely no other intelligent life would occur.

2. This is such an unimaginably ridiculous point especially since it contradicts your first point. I mean how many intelligent species would you find in that hot tub? at best I'd say 1. But beyond that I mean what's your point the one place we've found life is absolutely full of it? I mean that's like looking for a ball in a ball pit, of course you found one.

Edited by Warcodered

48 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Lol on two fronts.

let's see... we have ventured to one other planet and surprise, surprise... we found life.  in a logical manner of thinking, this would say that the universe is teeming with life, of all kinds.

19 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

... But go ahead enlighten me in what way is any signal we should of detected(assuming that they're sending the same kind of signals we do) going to of been outside that speck that we should of been able to detect within this last hundred years? ...

as human beings, we only perceive 1% of the actual known light spectrum. as well as roughly less than 10% of the known sound spectrum. to think that any and/or all beings would reside in that limited perception is mindbogglingly, to be kind, foolish.

let's not forget about the vibratory issues either, cymatics is a very interesting science.

Edited by Foxx

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

No your wrong...huh it's real easy to debate this way without actually explaining anything.

But go ahead enlighten me in what way is any signal we should of detected(assuming that they're sending the same kind of signals we do) going to of been outside that speck that we should of been able to detect within this last hundred years?

1. Assuming life occurs elsewhere in the universe essentially would make it extremely unlikely no other intelligent life would occur.

2. This is such an unimaginably ridiculous point especially since it contradicts your first point. I mean how many intelligent species would you find in that hot tub? at best I'd say 1. But beyond that I mean what's your point the one place we've found life is absolutely full of it? I mean that's like looking for a ball in a ball pit, of course you found one.

Oy Vey on your first paragraph....and not just the paragraph......think.

1. On what assumptions are you basing that?

2.  In the context of the ocean, the life is actually quite spread out.  That is the point.  Even being spread out, a small segment of the ocean, or any occupied space will yield results.

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

let's see... we have ventured to one other planet and surprise, surprise... we found life.  in a logical manner of thinking, this would say that the universe is teeming with life, of all kinds.

We did?  Where was that?

55 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Oy Vey on your first paragraph....and not just the paragraph......think.

I'm still waiting for you to bring anything substantive to this argument.

1. On what assumptions are you basing that?

2.  In the context of the ocean, the life is actually quite spread out.  That is the point.  Even being spread out, a small segment of the ocean, or any occupied space will yield results.

1. It's pretty obvious you just need to think.?

2. Turn the faucet and fill a cup of water. That cup of water is full of life. Turn off the faucet grab another empty cup and look at it. That cup is also full of life. But yeah it's real spread out.

• Like (+1) 1

... We did?  Where was that?

perhaps i should have used the formal term of, 'a precursor to life in the form of organic matter'. if the organic matter that we understand as a precursor to life is prevalent, would it not seem logical to think that life is also prevalent? ergo, intelligent life as well?

The ESA's Rosetta mission,... found that organic matter ...of the nucleus of comet 67P Churyumov-Gerasimenko, a.k.a. Chury.

Organic matter preserved in 3-billion-year-old mudstones at Gale crater, Mars

within the next decade, they are sending probes to Mars to search specifically for remnants of life.

3 hours ago, Foxx said:

perhaps i should have used the formal term of, 'a precursor to life in the form of organic matter'. if the organic matter that we understand as a precursor to life is prevalent, would it not seem logical to think that life is also prevalent? ergo, intelligent life as well?

The ESA's Rosetta mission,... found that organic matter ...of the nucleus of comet 67P Churyumov-Gerasimenko, a.k.a. Chury.

Organic matter preserved in 3-billion-year-old mudstones at Gale crater, Mars

within the next decade, they are sending probes to Mars to search specifically for remnants of life.

So, the opposite?

Microbes on Mars, while incredibly interesting, would do nothing to change the fact that the equation is simply not filling wrt intelligent life being present elsewhere in the universe.

Microbes are living organisms.  The "organic matter" found on the comet and on Mars was not a living organism.

If you know a scientist who believes current evolution theory, ask him or her how the jump was made from organic matter (i.e., chemicals containing carbon), to an organism capable of reproducing itself.  In other words, just exactly how did even complex organic chemicals make the jump from being just chemicals to being life capable of reproducing.

It's a rather large hole in our "knowledge."

2 hours ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

Microbes are living organisms.  The "organic matter" found on the comet and on Mars was not a living organism.

If you know a scientist who believes current evolution theory, ask him or her how the jump was made from organic matter (i.e., chemicals containing carbon), to an organism capable of reproducing itself.  In other words, just exactly how did even complex organic chemicals make the jump from being just chemicals to being life capable of reproducing.

It's a rather large hole in our "knowledge."

I know.  That's why I used "would".  I was also cutting him some slack because he's grasping at straws.

The leap from organic material to life is indeed not understood.  Microbes evolving to intelligence is also quite the leap.  Math tells us this likely hasn't happened anywhere else, but not yet whether microbial life is out there.  My guess on that question is yes.  It may even be close by in one or more of a few places in our solar system.  Mars is a candidate as are some moons of Jupiter and Saturn.  The sleeper pick is parts of the upper atmosphere of Venus.  That would actually be my first choice, followed by the moon with the liquid ocean under ice.  I think it's Europa but I'm too tired to look it up.

22 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I know.  That's why I used "would".  I was also cutting him some slack because he's grasping at straws.

The leap from organic material to life is indeed not understood.  Microbes evolving to intelligence is also quite the leap.  Math tells us this likely hasn't happened anywhere else, but not yet whether microbial life is out there.  My guess on that question is yes.  It may even be close by in one or more of a few places in our solar system.  Mars is a candidate as are some moons of Jupiter and Saturn.  The sleeper pick is parts of the upper atmosphere of Venus.  That would actually be my first choice, followed by the moon with the liquid ocean under ice.  I think it's Europa but I'm too tired to look it up.

Enceladus has the water underneath. Both have a crust of ice.

Right....it's only occurred on the only planet we've found life on so far.

4 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Right....it's only occurred on the only planet we've found life on so far.

My statement was that there is a big difference between a microbe and intelligent life.  Do you disagree?  

Intelligent aliens being absent from the universe could be due to microbial life's initial development being difficult, or its advancement being difficult.  Or both.  Or other factors,. Look up "the great filter".  It'll be a start in allowing rational thought in where emotion currently has control.

Look at this like a good journalist would:

Who: intelligent aliens

What: don't exist

When: so far ever in the history of time

Where: the universe

Why: This needs more study.  It is definitely interesting but it doesn't change the above.  You're focused on this pillar because you want the others to change but things don't work that way.  Understanding this will be a key part in humans potentially surviving away from Earth.