Whitner still looking for a job

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Should we throw him a bone?

Eh, time to clean out the rest of Marv's picks.

No. G Wilson is much better. If Whitner is on the team, he will find his way onto the field and be a huge liabilty when the other team desides to pass. We are better off without him and GW out there.

this

You're right. The Bills always start the best players all the time, regardless of talent level or where they were picked in the draft.

Regards,

Jabari Greer

ha like this - whitner doesn't seem worth it but will probably go on to be great aka London Flether

1st round pick v. UDFA rookie. P Fewell promptly demoted Whitner when he took over. This is often overlooked because Whitner happened to get injured for a few games during the same span.

Despite teams rarely passing on us, Whitner still managed to be the target of many a TD pass. Our pass D was much better with Wilson in and not Whitner these last two years. Don’t hate the messanger.

Regardless of any info you decide to use, George Wilson is not "much better" than donte whitner as a football player. He's much better at tweeting, and most likely at being a human being, but not playing the game of football. Wilson is better vs the pass. Whitner is better vs the run. Different players, same position.

Regardless of any info you decide to use, George Wilson is not "much better" than donte whitner as a football player. He's much better at tweeting, and most likely at being a human being, but not playing the game of football. Wilson is better vs the pass. Whitner is better vs the run. Different players, same position.

What info would you use to prove your point?

Not like it will matter, I have seen every game of both of their careers. One is much better than the other.

I agree with your assessment that Wilson is better against the pass, and Whitner is better against the run.

According to a multiple regression study performed by The New York Times, an improvement in pass defense is three times as effective as an analogous improvement in run defense. When the effect of increased interceptions is added in, the margin increases to 4-to-1.

If George Wilson is a 50 out of 100 in run defense and a 70 out of 100 in pass defense, and if Whitner is the reverse of that, then Wilson is the significantly better player.

Edit: Read the following only if you're interested in statistics speak. The dependent variable of the New York Times' multiple regression analysis was a team's number of wins. Collectively, the independent variables explained 80% of the observed variation in the dependent variable. The independent variables included average yards per pass play (offense), average yards per pass play (defense), average yards per running play (offense), average yards per running play (defense), average INTs per game (offense), average INTs per game (defense). A one standard deviation improvement in your team's average yards per pass play (offense or defense) was three times as effective as a one SD improvement in your team's average yards per running play (offense or defense). A one SD improvement in your team's interception rate (offense or defense) was as effective in producing more wins as a one SD improvement in your team's average yards per running play (offense or defense).

Edited by Edwards' Arm

I agree with your assessment that Wilson is better against the pass, and Whitner is better against the run.

According to a multiple regression study performed by The New York Times, an improvement in pass defense is three times more effective than an analogous improvement in run defense. When the effect of increased interceptions is added in, the margin increases to 4-to-1.

If George Wilson is a 50 out of 100 in run defense and a 70 out of 100 in pass defense, and if Whitner is the reverse of that, then Wilson is the significantly better player.

I believe more correctly worded you would say that he is not a better player but he is a more impactful player. Would you agree?

I believe more correctly worded you would say that he is not a better player but he is a more impactful player. Would you agree?

One possible definition of "better player" is "a player who's more able to help your team win games." Using that as a definition, the best QB ever is a better player than the best punter ever, because good quarterbacking is more important than good punting.

Another possible definition of "better player" would be "demonstrates a higher level of play at his position." Using this definition, the best punter ever might be roughly as good as the best quarterback ever. Using this second definition, one could say that Whitner and Wilson are about equal as players. But using the first definition, Wilson is clearly a step above Whitner.

According to a multiple regression study performed by The New York Times, an improvement in pass defense is three times as effective as an analogous improvement in run defense. When the effect of increased interceptions is added in, the margin increases to 4-to-1.

Edit: Read the following only if you're interested in statistics speak. The dependent variable of the New York Times' multiple regression analysis was a team's number of wins. Collectively, the independent variables explained 80% of the observed variation in the dependent variable. The independent variables included average yards per pass play (offense), average yards per pass play (defense), average yards per running play (offense), average yards per running play (defense), average INTs per game (offense), average INTs per game (defense). A one standard deviation improvement in your team's average yards per pass play (offense or defense) was three times as effective as a one SD improvement in your team's average yards per running play (offense or defense). A one SD improvement in your team's interception rate (offense or defense) was as effective in producing more wins as a one SD improvement in your team's average yards per running play (offense or defense).

Interesting... But what is the time period of the analysis? If he time period is the history of the NFL i wouldn't necessarily have statistical significance for current trends, say the last 5 or 10 years. If it is 5 or 10 years, it's pretty telling. However, I could get a high r squared too with a little work!!!!!!

With Jauron being the DC for Whitner's hometown Browns, you would've thought that would've been a done deal already. Remember this: Whitner passed up a $5M/yr offer from the Bills, stating that they were "far apart" in negotiations. I'll be very interested in seeing what he ultimately signs for on the open market...

I think we are wise enough to not reach for him. if he were humble maybe. but we have shown we have other options now.

With Old George Wilson back there as mentor and solid player and the young agressive players we are working with us now we should be able deal with most line ups against them soon enough.

I'm interested too about his value

ha like this - whitner doesn't seem worth it but will probably go on to be great aka London Flether

He was really good before, and with us too...,

With Whitner off the roster, Kyle Williams is the only Marv-drafted player left. His UFA acquisitions have long since disappeared. What a disaster.

Stevie?