Will the Veteran FA QB the Bills sign this week

major

I have a strange feeling there will be a QB controversy with whoever we bring in this offseason. Let the games begin.

I forgot to mention that I look for it to be Troy Smith or Tyler Thigpen. I also wouldn't rule out Tarvaris Jackson.

Going into the draft the Bills told Fitz that it was his team, so whoever we get. I hope they still give Fitz a chance as the leader of the Bills. His teammates really seem to respect him.

Edited by Cub Reporter

I have a strange feeling there will be a QB controversy with whoever we bring in this offseason. Let the games begin.

I forgot to mention that I look for it to be Troy Smith or Tyler Thigpen. I also wouldn't rule out Tarvaris Jackson.

It's Fitz team end of discussion !! If they pulled that kind of crap after what he did last year they would lose the rest of the team , they are all behind Fitz veterans and rookies alike .

QB controversy I DON'T THINK SO !!!!!!!

Depending on just how much of a preseason there ends up being, it'll be really hard for any newcomer to learn the system in time enough to be a real challenge to Fitz. However, I'm a little surprised by all the Fitz loyalty. I mean, I like his attitude and the players do seem to respect him, but what he did last year wasn't really amazing by any standards - only it's been so long since we've had respectable production out of the QB position that we take what he did last year and love it more than maybe we would if we were accustomed to a decent QB. I guess my point is, unless Fitz really has an amazing, top 10 performance at his position kind of year, I just don't see how we don't go into next year's draft looking to grab the QB of the future in RD 1. Furthermore, going on what we know of Fitz, I wouldn't mind getting a QB in here who could at least push him, like Alex Smith or Tyler Thigpen, maybe. I'd say Vince Young - only because I'd love to see what Gailey could do with him, but he'd be a wasted pick up this year, due to the short preseason, and I'd rather have one of the top 3 rookie QB's coming out next year.

I like Fitz - and it seems like because of the offseason lock-out this is his year to prove himself, but I'm more loyal to Bills winning than any one player.

It's Fitz team end of discussion !! If they pulled that kind of crap after what he did last year they would lose the rest of the team , they are all behind Fitz veterans and rookies alike .

100% agree... No QB controversy at all....It's Fitz team right now no matter who they sign to back him up...

There is no QB out there that would cause controversy that we will bring in.

Buddy said in the season ticket conference call that the Bills would sign a backup QB who would be given a chance in pre season. Said QB would be able to start if Fitz gets hurt and help us win a few games. Or start if he proves himself in pre season. That's what Buddy said. I'm a big Fitz backer, but heck, I'm not married to the guy and neither are the Bills. Every position is open to competition. That's a good thing.

Buddy said in the season ticket conference call that the Bills would sign a backup QB who would be given a chance in pre season. Said QB would be able to start if Fitz gets hurt and help us win a few games. Or start if he proves himself in pre season. That's what Buddy said. I'm a big Fitz backer, but heck, I'm not married to the guy and neither are the Bills. Every position is open to competition. That's a good thing.

That's not only the right thing to say but the only thing to say, regardless of how entrenched Fitz is as a starter. They want the best veteran QB they can get to come to Buffalo and be Fitz's back-up. But if Fitz gets hurt, they need that guy to take over the team. You have to tell a veteran QB that if he plays lights out and clearly outplays Fitz in pre-season that he will have a chance to start. But that isn't going to happen (barring injury) because Fitz is going to get all the first team reps and as long as he doesn't totally stink up the joint, Gailey will announce him as the starter.

Unfortunately, there aren't any real good choices available.

I'd be in favor of Bruce Gradkowski. He is a scrapper like Fitz. Will accept the role and can carry us through a few games if we need him to.

I agree and like Orton too (if he is available) we will wait and see. I have a feeling Thigpin (sp?) is who they are most interested in, those are just my choices.

To us Bills fans there will always be a QB controversy ... it harkens back to the days of Kemp/Lamonica and is a common thread through Flutie/Johnson and Edwards/Losman .... yes even during the Kelly years there were calls for Reich (although less so because we were winning).

It's our heritage ... it's what we do :D

To us Bills fans there will always be a QB controversy ... it harkens back to the days of Kemp/Lamonica and is a common thread through Flutie/Johnson and Edwards/Losman .... yes even during the Kelly years there were calls for Reich (although less so because we were winning).

It's our heritage ... it's what we do :D

And this shows what the general public knows Reich over Kelly. lol

One name: Jorge Posada ! :w00t:

Well said. The coaches need to NOT listen to the fans. I think it should be Fitz's job to keep or lose. The revolving door in the huddle HAS to stop now.

As far as the inane and brief call for Reich to replace Kelly, that was mostly after Reich led the Bills 4-0 after Kelly had his ass "handed" to him, and Jimbo lost his first game when he returned. There was never really a controversy like some of the others mentioned. If there was a HOF position for backup QB, Reich would be a first rounder.

Edited by Rockpile

As far as the inane and brief call for Reich to replace Kelly, that was mostly after Reich led the Bills 4-0 after Kelly had his ass "handed" to him, and Jimbo lost his first game when he returned. There was never really a controversy like some of the others mentioned. If there was a HOF position for backup QB, Reich would be a first rounder.

I didn't mean to insinuate there was a "full blown" QB controversy with Kelly and Reich ... just wanted to mention that even our HOF QB was not immune to the "we want (fill in the back up of the day)" chant.

lETS SEE, LAST YEAR pRESEASON THEY PICKED EDWARDS OVER FITZ...HMMMMM...BAD JUDGEMENT OR INTERFERING OWNER? i AM GUESSING THE OWNER.....eDWARDS GOT THE HOOK AFTER TWO GAMES. lIKELY ONLY THIGPEN COULD COME IN AND CHALLENGE, AS HE KNOWS GAILEY/SYSTEM. bUT, MIAMI LOST PENNINGTON, SO I BELIEVE THEY WILL TRY TO RETAIN THIGPEN...HE IS A LONGSHOT IN MY VIEW. MORE LIKELY, JACKSON, WHERE HIS INCUMBENT TEAM HAS GIVEN UP ON HIM.

It would be very closed minded of Gailey to not have a competition for EVERY position on the roster, including QB. Particularly on a team that went 4-12 last season. And I cannot imagine any decent FA would come to a team like the Bills without assurances that it indeed was a competition for the starting position. It may or may not be Fitz's position to lose, but to go in stating that Fitz is definitely the starter would be asinine. Gailey and Nix are both smarter than that.

2nd string QB is always most popular guy on the team. Especially if he hasn't played yet. So yeah, it's a pretty safe bet.

I would be happy with any of the following: Seneca Wallace, Tavaris Jackson, Marc Bulger, Bruce Gradkowski, Billy Volek,

Troy Smith. And guys who aren't FAs (yet) Kyle Orton, Vince Young.

This should be a pick for this year to help us if Fitz gets hurt. Not another reach for a diamond in the rough golden armed franchise QB for some indeterminate time in the future.

Let's get the most talented guy in here we can and let the chips fall where they may. What are we afraid of?

Edited by reddogblitz