Jets lose Kris Jenkins

and all those FA pieces are crumbling in NY...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/post/former-all-pro-defensive-tackle-kris-jenkins-retires-from-nfl/2011/07/20/gIQASUZ7PI_blog.html

They also need to try to keep Holmes or Edwards at WR.

Good news for the Bills as this team dissolves.

Edited by DrDareustein

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/post/former-all-pro-defensive-tackle-kris-jenkins-retires-from-nfl/2011/07/20/gIQASUZ7PI_blog.html

I think the Jets are a fry cry from shriveled.

That said, assuming they were done, cooked, finished, out of cash, out of gas, off the rails and back to ground zero:

Would we as Bills fans accept the kind of flash in the pan team building The Jets exercised? To date, it's netted them two consecutive bids to the AFC Championship game.

I know we love the dream of building for longevity. But would we take a cheap thrill? If it didn't even result in a ticket to the big dance, but got us pretty damn close?

Edited by The Big Cat

I think the Jets are a fry cry from shriveled.

That said, assuming they were done, cooked, finished, out of cash, out of gas, off the rails and back to ground zero:

Would we as Bills fans accept the kind of flash in the pan team building The Jets exercised? To date, it's netted them two consecutive bids to the AFC Championship game.

I know we love the dream of building for longevity. But would we take a cheap thrill? If it didn't even result in a ticket to the big dance, but got us pretty damn close?

Agreed that they are still far from "done".

You raise a good question, and that is where I wanted to go in my post.

I would rather have the Bills build a perennial contender. However, given the current decade+ playoff drought, I think I'd take a build that makes 1 or 2 runs. If for no other reason than to give us some clout, and make the team relevant again, so maybe it would be easier to build that perennial winner.

Good question, I dunno...

They had already released Jenkins, ... I'm pretty sure.

Jenkins barely played for them and only faced the Bills once the past 2 years. Suffice it to say that the Jets can beat the Bills without him. <_<

LOL

Many teams have beaten the Bills with a fraction of the talent that the Jets have.

No one's going to be confusing the Bills for playoff contenders this season.

Jenkins barely played for them and only faced the Bills once the past 2 years. Suffice it to say that the Jets can beat the Bills without him. <_<

I was at one of those games and Jenkins was unblockable. Of course Dick J went for it on fourth and then ran right at Jenkins. I sat back in my seat in disbelief and proceeded to curse for a minute.

Correct. Plus the Jests already released him. As good as Jenkins was he didn't have much of an impact in his last two years considering the number of games he actually played.

NY will still be pretty good-- even though they will lose some of their good FA's

Agreed that they are still far from "done".

You raise a good question, and that is where I wanted to go in my post.

I would rather have the Bills build a perennial contender. However, given the current decade+ playoff drought, I think I'd take a build that makes 1 or 2 runs. If for no other reason than to give us some clout, and make the team relevant again, so maybe it would be easier to build that perennial winner.

Good question, I dunno...

Me too, but I believe this tactic has fallen by the wayside in the NFL. It appears FA will be granted after 4 years so serious turnover of personnel is well on its way to being the norm. I fear we blew our shot at building a perennial powerhouse in the late 80's-early 90's. Also, with teams having to pay 90% of Cap going forward, keeping great talent at many positions doesn't seem likely.

Sooooo... give me a 3-year wonder team and see if we can get one of those Lombardi thingy's..

The jest will be interesting to watch this year. Is Ryan that good of a coach? Is Sanchez capable of leading that team?

I think they will still be tough to beat, but they are going to have a different lineup this season

Yes.

And with the retirement of Kris Jenkins and the anticipated loss of several starters to free agency, they will be LESS talented than they were in 2009 or 2010.

What if the Jets go after Cromartie? They can't keep Holmes-Edwards and sign Cro, can they?

What if the Jets go after Cromartie? They can't keep Holmes-Edwards and sign Cro, can they?

Theres talk that, regardless of Cromartie, they'll only be able to keep either Holmes or Edwards as it is. Not both, and I highly doubt all 3.

If they do... I dunno... I guess then Bills fans need to see it is obvious that certain owners are serious about winning and we do not have one of them.

I look at all these teams that have multiple stars, with multiple big contracts, and wonder "Why dont/cant the Bills do that?". And I dont care about just going out in FA and signing names. It's both FA and keeping our own guys. The Vikings out bid us for Winfield and Pat Williams... and THEN signed Jared Allen... and THEN signed Brett Favre, TWICE. I dont get it. But thats for another thread...

If memory serves me, they made the AFC Championship Game for the 2nd year in a row without him...

As far as them losing a WR, I think it will be worse for us if they lose Edwards because I think they will replace him with R. Moss and I don't care what happened last year, Moss is better than Edwards all day long and from what is being said is in amazing shape with a chip on his shoulder with something to prove...last time that happened he set the record for NFL TD's. Sanchez is no Brady by any means, but all Sanchez has to do is throw it up for him and I think their offense, at least this year, will be better with Moss in there over Edwards.

Too bad for Kris though, he was a beast and had his career cut short with those severe injuries.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Most teams - even the ones built for longevity - if we're referring to Philly, to New England, to New Orleans, to Baltimore, only see deep success in the playoffs 2 or 3 times in a row, before taking a few years to fix whatever isn't working just right. I mean, sure, they're almost always above .500, or at least it seems like it, but I would say the effect on the fans is about the same, when a team is supposed to win it all and they don't, or don't go deep in the playoffs it is just as much a disappointment as not making the playoffs. I think we all want it all, or not much else...

So, I'd take a flurry of veteran signings and hope we go far. Besides, I think you get the vets and draft for next offseason's departures, so you've got year 2 players stepping in to fill the shoes of players you know are going to be leaving.

Tough break for Jenkins. He was a very good player.

Agreed. I realize this 'helps' my team....but I hate to see injury rob a player (friend or foe) of his career.....and his career was a very good one. I'd rather have Jenkins on the field and figure out a way to beat him.