Pre-CBA FA talk

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I'll play:

1. Re-sign Poz and Florence; ideally Whitner, too, but not if he's asking for more than $4m a year;

2. Ideally sign Tyson Clabo or one of the other prominent RT FA candidates;

3. If go with a cheaper option at RT than Claybo (maybe M. Yanda of B'more, for ex.), then go for Zach Miller at TE. If go cheaper at TE sign one of Kevin Boss, Bo Scaife or Matt Spaeth (in that order);

4. Sign a backup QB--personally, I'd love to see us take a flyer on VY, but suspect they'll stay clear; and finally

5. Pick up 2-3 FA depth guys. 1 on OL and 1 LB a must.

That would be my dream offseason. Personally, if they did that and Fitz turns out to be even an avg NFL starter, with a few breaks this team could be competing for a playoff spot in Dec.....

There've been similar posts... but those were aiming, I think, at more realistic projections. If I were throwing money around... well, still, you have the overall make-up of the team to consider, chemistry, and I don't think you'd just go nuts on any one or two guys, but rather have a real direction on trying to be the most balanced and deepest team possible. So, I'd go:

1. For an offensive tackle, someone, ideally, who could play either left or right tackle. In this case I think Washington's guy, who they signed from the Saints last year - Jammal Brown - would be perfect. He's definitely good enough to take over the right side, but also good enough to sufficently cover the left, should Bell get hurt. I think we have to either have a swing tackle in the event of Bell getting hurt, or both a left tackle and a right tackle. The Bills seem to covet guys who are versatile.

2. I go Tight End. If Mercedes Lewis is still available from the Jaguars, then I think I throw as much at him as I'd consider throwing at a very good WR. A stud, multi-purpose TE doesn't come along that often, and despite people saying Gailey doesn't use them much, if he had a real threat like that, I think it would just make us that much better. In the event the best aren't available, I'd go Zack Miller - who is also not a compromise, or Boss, who'd be an upgrade.

3. A backup QB would be good. I like Bruce Gradkowski, Matt Moore, or Dennis Dixon for that role - or, the more obvious, Tyler Thigpen. Any of these guys would be capable of coming in and winning games for us, and each might potentially be as good as our own starter, given the right direction and opportunity. We can't exactly bring in a Vince Young or a Donovan McNabb and have the guy be a backup, but still, you'd like the backup to be young enough to be around for a while, and good enough to win if depended on.

Those are what I think we need to have a rounded football team, that, with the right breaks, the right determination, coaching, could be a winning team. Now, if our coaches and front office really think their job is to win and win at all costs this year, as opposed to letting the young guys grow, learn, and mature - in other words, if they're not just planning of drafting a winning team that we wont see for another year or two (it looks to me like they aren't expected to win yet, and aren't actually planning on being a serious contender for another year or two - however that could really be the case in such a professional league is frustrating for us in Buffalo, as it has been the case every three years for the last 12 or so - I mean, every time a new staff has come in, they are given a grace period of 2-3 years, and when they stink in year 3 and 4 like they did in year 1, it's been back to scratch, and still...) I like our linebackers - I think we might have starter potential in our young squad - but to get that experience needed to be relied upon, they'll need to be thrown in, and it might make us susceptible for a season or so - which is fine by me if we're planning on going the draft in three years a winner approach. But, if it is now, then we should bring in another LB in case Merriman can't come back, and in case Maybin also remains a bust.

1-Poz- irreplaceable in FA this year.

2-Whitner- when so many people on TSW complain about Donte, why is he rated as one of the top available FA's? Because he is a better SS than most here give him credit for? based on his stats, yes. Based on observation, yes.

3-TE Miller or Boss- This is a position that we need to have a top player at that can be a force in the Red Zone. We have decent height at WR, but nothing like Miller or Boss. We get either of them and I am going for a pants change.

4-BU QB- Gradkowski is my first choice, but I have had the opportunity to see Billy Volek a few times and wouldn't complain about him as a solid back-up. The Chargers may re-sign him as he does know their systems very well.

5-RT Clabo, Willie Colon or DEN Ryan Harris. Clabo is the prize, but if Colon and Harris are fully recovered from last years injury setbacks, they are both very good candidates to man the RT for the next three plus years. I could deal with Trueblood from the Bucs, but am not certain how much of an upgrade he really is.

OK, I'll play:

1. Re-sign Poz and Florence; ideally Whitner, too, but not if he's asking for more than $4m a year;

3. If go with a cheaper option at RT than Claybo (maybe M. Yanda of B'more, for ex.), then go for Zach Miller at TE. If go cheaper at TE sign one of Kevin Boss, Bo Scaife or Matt Spaeth (in that order);

4. Sign a backup QB--personally, I'd love to see us take a flyer on VY, but suspect they'll stay clear; and finally

That would be my dream offseason. Personally, if they did that and Fitz turns out to be even an avg NFL starter, with a few breaks this team could be competing for a playoff spot in Dec.....

Not to shabby !! I'll go with that !! :thumbsup:

OK, I'll play:

Amen!

Since Pegula is running the show...

1. Peyton Manning

2. RB Le'Ron McClain - brusier who can really run the rock

3. WR Vince Jackson

4. TE Mercedes Lewis

5. LT Doug Free

6. RT Tyson Clabo

7. RG Logan Mankins

8. DE Haloti Ngata

9. OLB Chad Greenway

10. OLB Lamarr Woodley

11. CB Nnamdi Asomugha

... now we can win four superbowls in row.

So Nix has said a QB (or 2) to back up Fitz.

I have read on here he has said a RT as well.

He has said (in a interview on BB.com about 3 months ago)

that RW will spend some money and give them the purse to

improve the team.

In the past he has said that you build through the draft.

I see this as meaning they will target younger players.

There will be money from the speculation going on about the CBA.

There are hints that Florance will be back, Poz maybe and Whitner is otta here.

I would prefer we try to keep all three (anyone else up can walk).

Whitner seems the most expendable if he asks too much, bye but

get Poz and Flo back please.

The team needs

1 back up for Fitz "who can win games" (plus another?), as a back up

I want Bruce G. from Oakland and there are other options (I would

be ok with others)i.e. Orton who IMO should start somewhere.

2 RT First there are some available this year, that should be enough right there.

We have depth seemly and I approve of the raiding PS's

that was done last year. I want a capable starter. We went

into last year if I remember right with 8 OL, we should

have 10 this year. I like the 4th round pick too and the fact

that at least one of these guys could pan out. C, LG and RG,

I feel we have covered, I wonder if we have a back up LT and

a starting RT. I would target Clabo, and take what we can get

(Trueblood, is that his name from ALT?).

3 TE, I hate having a big question mark and just saying Gailey

doesn't use one, my hope is we pick one up. There is a crop

to harvest this year and we didn't draft one. I would actually

love to see them sign 2. (Boss and Miller from Oakland, I know

dreaming lol)

4 OLB and ILB if Poz leaves, I want a back up for Meeriman. Our

back ups will improve but honestly we are weakest here on D now.

Don't know what I would really want here, but there are again

guys out there.

5 DB, if we lose guys address it.

To me these are the most critical things at the moment and I look forward

and with some optimism that we will do something this year.

So give us what you see as biggest needs and who you want in here.

Spaeth

Whitner

Poz

Don't think we need an o-lineman

J.p. Losman

Kiwanuka

Who plays RT this year? On that point, if he's healthy I'd also take Gaither from the Ravens in addition to Yanda--sounds like they can't resign both....

So Nix has said a QB (or 2) to back up Fitz.

I have read on here he has said a RT as well.

He has said (in a interview on BB.com about 3 months ago)

that RW will spend some money and give them the purse to

improve the team.

OK I follow things pretty closely and I do not recall that at all. Never heard Nix reference increased spending of any kind. Can you provide a link? Or can anyone else substantiate?

See all the ther threads that state the obvious

Re-sign Poz and Florence. Whitner for under 4m.

Sign Clabo, if not brown or yanda; miller, boss or lewis; LB depth.

Things haven't changed.

OK I follow things pretty closely and I do not recall that at all. Never heard Nix reference increased spending of any kind. Can you provide a link? Or can anyone else substantiate?

It was on the BB.com site shortly after the season ended, either in the a special club (monday qb or booster? I am pretty sure but honestly I forget) or in one of his pressers. I remember him saying it (this is paraphrased but I am just too lazy to go through the vids for your linky, sorry. I know I got excited about it when I heard it and I thought that we would be getting a TE since we skipped it in the draft (was in an after draft presser? damn I really can't remember). In anycase depending on the CBA it looks as if they will have to open the purse a bit wider to hit the minimum anyway.

So give us what you see as biggest needs and who you want in here.

I think the Bills' biggest needs are RT and backup QB. Add CB if they lose Florence. I believe they re-sign Florence & Poz. Whitner doesn't appear to be in their plans if you read between the lines of past comments made by Gailey & Nix, so I believe he's gone. I believe they'll make a run at Tyson Clabo of ATL, which would be great. Excellent character guy and a quick study so he'd absorb the playbook in a shortened offseason. Should they fail to get Clabo, I think they'll pass on anyone else like Trueblood of the Bucs and stick with what they have which would be a mistake, IMO. For some reason, I think they'll kick the tires on Vince Young but really don't know which direction they go to fill their backup QB vacancy. Orton definitely won't be here. They're looking for a backup for Fitz, not someone to compete for the starting job. I'd love for them to get either Zach Miller or Kevin Boss (in that order) but, sadly, I don't think they'll even address TE unless it's a non-difference maker, depth-type player (which is all they have now). Just my two cents...

Thanks for merging the threads, I didn't see that other one when I posted mine and he said something about Mr. Pegula owning the team who would you expect, where I said what I would just like to see and what thoughts I had about that. It is really interesting to me so many people have the same ideas, I guess when there is so much time on everyone's hands because of the lock out, ideas get batted around enough that more of a consensus happens. That actually could be a good thing if you think about it happening on the coaching staff too.

1-Poz- irreplaceable in FA this year.

2-Whitner- when so many people on TSW complain about Donte, why is he rated as one of the top available FA's? Because he is a better SS than most here give him credit for? based on his stats, yes. Based on observation, yes.

3-TE Miller or Boss- This is a position that we need to have a top player at that can be a force in the Red Zone. We have decent height at WR, but nothing like Miller or Boss. We get either of them and I am going for a pants change.

4-BU QB- Gradkowski is my first choice, but I have had the opportunity to see Billy Volek a few times and wouldn't complain about him as a solid back-up. The Chargers may re-sign him as he does know their systems very well.

5-RT Clabo, Willie Colon or DEN Ryan Harris. Clabo is the prize, but if Colon and Harris are fully recovered from last years injury setbacks, they are both very good candidates to man the RT for the next three plus years. I could deal with Trueblood from the Bucs, but am not certain how much of an upgrade he really is.

Bro....exactly where have you seen Donte rated as one of the top available FA's? I wouldn't even put him in the top 3 of the (very weak BTW) safety free agent group. No, Donte isn't as bad as many posters on TSW say he is....he does have some strengths. I am sooooooo sick and tired, however, of watching wide open TE's streaking up the middle of the field for an easy touchdown. Ask Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski how they feel about Donte Whitner....I suspect that they would also really like the Bills to re-sign him to a long-term deal :lol: