NFL Games will be longer this season

I hope this isn't going to be in effect if the play is obvious. I think that its going to be up to the digression of the replay official. Which honestly if its that than it won't be the worst thing ever seeing as only once every couple of games does a controversial score happen.

I must be bored because I had a few thoughts on the proposed rule.

Sometimes a team will score in a dubious fashion.

While the opposing team is hoping to see a replay that might cause them to throw the challenge flag, the team which scored is rushing their PAT team onto the field to kick the conversion before their opponent can throw the challenge flag.

Depending on how this rule is instituted, this little occasional drama might not happen anymore. I wonder if it will be automatic that the PAT cannot be kicked until the play is reviewed or if there will be some rule that the PAT can go forth if there is no immediate question that the play was compliant with the rules… sounds like they may delay each score. I kinda hope that they won't interrupt the game unless there is some significant, visual "probable cause" or else the vast majority of these scoring review delays will be pointless and a waste of time.

Guys, a replay official can easily do this within a 40 second window 99% of the time. So, this should have little effect on the duration of the game. It's not like hockey games got eternally longer when they started doing this.

Guys, a replay official can easily do this within a 40 second window 99% of the time. So, this should have little effect on the duration of the game. It's not like hockey games got eternally longer when they started doing this.

Using your estimate of 40 seconds on average for a review, and using 8 as the average number of scores (not including PATs… will they have to review those too?) that's an additional 320 seconds or 5 minutes and 20 seconds per game. For each team, that averages out to about an additional 1.5 hours per season.

:)

Replay officials will buzz the on-field crew within that 45 second window between a score and extra point if that replay official deems the scoring play close. That buzz will cause the on-field crew to stop play for review.

Yes the new procedure will add time to some games and yes some will grumble about it. I am more concerned about getting calls as correct as possible -- i know Bills irrelevancy has been going on for a while but when the time comes and the Bills are contending, if they lose out on playoffs on a pivotal blown call everyone will be clamouring for better replay procedures.

I think this new policy for scoring plays is a step in the right direction.

Using your estimate of 40 seconds on average for a review, and using 8 as the average number of scores (not including PATs… will they have to review those too?) that's an additional 320 seconds or 5 minutes and 20 seconds per game. For each team, that averages out to about an additional 1.5 hours per season.

Except there's already about 40 seconds between a TD and a PAT, and far more than that between an FG and kickoff or a PAT and kickoff. So using his estimate of 40 seconds, than an additional zero seconds per game, or 0.0 hours per season.

I must be bored because I had a few thoughts on the proposed rule.

Sometimes a team will score in a dubious fashion.

While the opposing team is hoping to see a replay that might cause them to throw the challenge flag, the team which scored is rushing their PAT team onto the field to kick the conversion before their opponent can throw the challenge flag.

Depending on how this rule is instituted, this little occasional drama might not happen anymore. I wonder if it will be automatic that the PAT cannot be kicked until the play is reviewed or if there will be some rule that the PAT can go forth if there is no immediate question that the play was compliant with the rules… sounds like they may delay each score. I kinda hope that they won't interrupt the game unless there is some significant, visual "probable cause" or else the vast majority of these scoring review delays will be pointless and a waste of time.

This brings up the whole "play cannot be reviewed once the next play starts" thing...I hate it.

Why is it set in stone that once the next play starts - especially something like a PAT - that the previous play can't be reviewed? Do we not have replay to show where the clock was when the next play started?

NFL games are about to get longer and more replay-filled

A new rule goes into effect this year stating that every scoring play that happens in the course of an NFL game will be automatically reviewed by the replay official.

I like it. Replay has gotten quicker and quicker. If every play is reviewed it won't be a surprise and they will already be in the process in the booth the second it happens. Anything that helps to ensure that the right call is made is fine in my mind.

Why sports like basketball and football don't have an extra ref on field boggles my mind. Stop the cheating. Stop the flopping. Play the game with honor.

That additional 5 minutes per game will mean even more revenue from advertising. No coincidence there.

I wonder if this means an extra commercial break.

Touchdown is scored

"We'll be right back while they look at the replay."

Comes back from commercial to kick the extra point.

Cue commercials again.

Edit: Damn PTR's post right above me saying the same thing.

Edited by Dr. Fong

This brings up the whole "play cannot be reviewed once the next play starts" thing...I hate it.

Why is it set in stone that once the next play starts - especially something like a PAT - that the previous play can't be reviewed? Do we not have replay to show where the clock was when the next play started?

The problem is you might take away a big play. WR running open? Throw the flag on the play before.

The whole thing works if they have a replay official in the booth that does the review. If the Ref on the field has to wait for the specific footage to be cued up, run over to a designated replay camera and then come out to announce something.... it'll be horribly slow and inefficient. As with most things, the idea itself isn't necessarily bad, but the execution could make it bad.

If memory serves, they already break for commercial after the TD, then again after the PAT. They should be able to review 99% of TD's during that first commercial break so this should be a non issue.

No. They usually break after the extra point.