Aaron Maybin

He didn't draft himself...

It's funny watching everyone attack him personally for not living up to a draft pick and defensive position he had no business being in.

Those that question his work ethic, I simply ask for links to back that up. I've heard nothing of the sort

But of course, everyone here has a cousin's sister's boss' dog's walker on the weekends who knows a guy at the hot dog stand at the stadium who says he's a loafer... <_<

:thumbsup:Not one person has mentioned the party responsible for picking him so high or for a position he simply cannot play in the NFL.

EDIT: except for the person above me... :blush:

:thumbsup: All too often this board choooses to attack the character of players in cold cruel ways, guess our society has a substantial segment that celebrates bullying, but the truth is players like Maybin either don't have the talent or other circumstances prevent them from being superstar pro-bowlers, stars, or even just above average starters. The hateful statements made towards players like Maybin, Kelsay, Whitner, Wrotto, and others just verifies that the authors are limited in their ability to provide constructive criticism.

I have been critical of the Maybin pick since Day One and frankly do not think he has the ability to play in the NFL. But, he did spend his first off season working out and attempting to get into playing shape. Sadly, he lost his son, which is something that any of us who have been blessed with children cannot comprehend the impact unless we have experienced it.

He has one last chance ... we have a great defensive minded coach now and if he can't do anything with Maybin no one can but that doesn't mean Maybin is loafing ... he just is incapable of playing at this level.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you google Aaron Maybin, the first prompt is "Aaron Maybin bust". I'm wondering if that can motivate this kid to get going. He's got talent, speed....I saw him destroy a guy in a game at KC two years ago. If he could just do that about 8 times a game, we might have something.

Has he no pride? Does he want to go down in history as "Aaron Maybin bust," or "Aaron Maybin's Bust in NFL Hall of Fame"?

Maybin made a living on pure speed at PSU in his last season there. He really did nothing any other season.

It is predictable, just as it is with Spiller, that when speed is a player's only asset upon entering the NFL, that it is the first thing to get neutralized since the NFL is a whole echelon higher in terms of speed in that way. LBs run like college DBs often. Heck, some NFL linemen run faster than some collegiate LBs, etc. Offensive linemen are much quicker, etc.

It was fully predictable that Maybin was going to be a bust. He's not sandbagging, he simply doesn't have the frame or toolset to be successful in the NFL. He was always a backup prospect at best for anyone that knew what was going on and despite the high rankings of a bunch of scouts and others in the business that should have known better and who simply looked at his sacks and decided he had chances when he had none.

Spiller is in the same category. His speed was neutralized last season. If he bulks up he'll probably lose even more speed thus limiting his options there. He's not going to get any faster, so anyone waiting for him to become anything more than a role-playing backup is fooling themself and he may not ever even become a reliable role-playing backup.

I don't see Maybin playing football after this season. I don't see Spiller on the Bills after the 2012 one if he doesn't bring at least solid backup stats this year and prove that he can run the ball or at least be a reliable receiving back or returner.

Dareus should be a monster.

He didn't draft himself...

LOL

Great point.

The ones that people should be PO'd at are our illustrious front office and scouting staff that have screwed the pooch for years.

If you google Aaron Maybin, the first prompt is "Aaron Maybin bust". I'm wondering if that can motivate this kid to get going. He's got talent, speed....I saw him destroy a guy in a game at KC two years ago. If he could just do that about 8 times a game, we might have something.

Has he no pride? Does he want to go down in history as "Aaron Maybin bust," or "Aaron Maybin's Bust in NFL Hall of Fame"?

Talent? You can say that for anyone who has the chance to play pro football. Despite being in great shape, he gets tossed around like a rag doll on the field. It has nothing to do with motivation. He's simply not strong enough to play defense in the NFL. B-U-S-T!

I would like to see what he can do as a DE on a 4 -3 line now that we have Dave W on board. Even at LB , I feel confident that our coaching staff will find a way to use his talent if at all possible. The Bills aren't playing for a .500 season, they're playing for the play-offs & they just might pull it off this year.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!

Maybin made a living on pure speed at PSU in his last season there. He really did nothing any other season.

It is predictable, just as it is with Spiller, that when speed is a player's only asset upon entering the NFL, that it is the first thing to get neutralized since the NFL is a whole echelon higher in terms of speed in that way. LBs run like college DBs often. Heck, some NFL linemen run faster than some collegiate LBs, etc. Offensive linemen are much quicker, etc.

It was fully predictable that Maybin was going to be a bust. He's not sandbagging, he simply doesn't have the frame or toolset to be successful in the NFL. He was always a backup prospect at best for anyone that knew what was going on and despite the high rankings of a bunch of scouts and others in the business that should have known better and who simply looked at his sacks and decided he had chances when he had none.

Spiller is in the same category. His speed was neutralized last season. If he bulks up he'll probably lose even more speed thus limiting his options there. He's not going to get any faster, so anyone waiting for him to become anything more than a role-playing backup is fooling themself and he may not ever even become a reliable role-playing backup.

I don't see Maybin playing football after this season. I don't see Spiller on the Bills after the 2012 one if he doesn't bring at least solid backup stats this year and prove that he can run the ball or at least be a reliable receiving back or returner. Dareus should be a monster.

LOL

Great point.

The ones that people should be PO'd at are our illustrious front office and scouting staff that have screwed the pooch for years.

WOW...I'll refer back to this comment after this season.

I beg to differ, Spiller has a much better upside and track record of success playing at Clemson. His rookie year was a feeling out process from the coaching staff, CG had an off-season to scheme to his skill set. He has too much talent and desire not to be an impact player in this offense.

I always refer to Marv Levy's approach to the rookie impact in the league, the second year growth is what's important.

I beg to differ, Spiller has a much better upside and track record of success playing at Clemson. His rookie year was a feeling out process from the coaching staff, CG had an off-season to scheme to his skill set. He has too much talent and desire not to be an impact player in this offense.

I always refer to Marv Levy's approach to the rookie impact in the league, the second year growth is what's important.

Wasn't it Levy, when asked who his best rookies were, he'd respond, "last year's"?

Exactly my point...thank you.

The second year in the league is where the team expects results from the last draft.

Right, and Spiller had a tough time getting consistent playing time because of his poor blocking. If he can straighten that out I would expect some improvement out of him in the rest of his game as he sees a lot more time on the field.

Do you guys realize that, although there is a big difference in size and overall reputation between Dareus & Maybin, Dareus only started 15 games at Alabama?? He missed 2 of 13 games due to suspension in '10 and only started 4 games as a sophomore.

Why is he not considered a 1-year wonder with this limted experience, that Nix was trying to avoid?

Although he didn't start, Dareus was an impact Player on bama's national title team as a sophomore

Yep as Fluff pointed out, you cant just look at the number of "starts". That Bama defense was stacked in Dareus's sophomore season, yet he still saw the field a lot and was an impact player when given the chance.

He even returned an INT for a TD in the National Championship!! Most people who follow college football knew of Dareus before this last season.

Dareus is NOT a 1 year wonder, even Cam Newton was not a 1 year wonder. People knew who they were well before their last/breakout season.

Maybin is the true definition of a 1 year wonder. As in, you wonder where this kid came from, and wonder if he can sustain that level of play. He was on no one's radar up until he got to start due to an injury.

Hands down the worst draft pick in Buffalo Bills history. And that is saying something.

This kid is another reason why first round picks shouldn't get huge money contracts, until they have done something in the NFL !

Absolutely. No reason he should have got even half that money that he did...

For the last time, Maybin's problems aren't because of lack of effort. Gailey has said that he is a very hard worker and I can't remember ever hearing that he is lazy. Of course, being a hard worker won't make you a good NFL player. Some players have "it", other's don't. Maybin is the latter.

I agree with this assessment. He had no business being picked as early as he was. That wasn't his fault.

Exactly my point...thank you.

The second year in the league is where the team expects results from the last draft.

But we won't see as much of growth this year becuz there have been no mini-camps and OTAs. Chris Brown did say though, per the D-Line coach, that Troup has been working hard on getting stronger.

Maybin is still young and keep in mind this is only his second year in the 3-4. He played 4-3 in college and played 4-3 in his first year in the pros (He wasn't good in his rookie year but the guy was only 21 and smallish).

I don't think Maybin will develop into anything BUT I am not completely writing him off yet. Give him a training camp and pre-season to show something. This team isn't exactly overflowing with talent at OLB so giving Maybin a shot isn't the worst idea ever.

Maybin is just 23 years old there is still time.

Sure, feel free. I agree that Spiller has a much better track record, but not of upside. He's diminutive to start, and if you look at his time at Clemson, of if you had, you'd have noticed that all of his big games came against low-end opponents.

As a rusher, 5.0 is absolutely nothing special in the NCAA and if anything is an anti-predictor of how well such a player will fare in the NFL.

Otherwise, his biggest asset, namely speed, is not something that should require "time" or development in the NFL, agreed?

As such, did you see even an inkling of "special speed" last season?

You can disagree and argue all you want, just don't be too disappointed when he doesn't step up. If he ends up being a role playing RB that can catch five to six hundred yards of passes out of the backfield and improve his returning skills, I think that's the best we're going to get out of him in Buffalo or the NFL.

We'll see though, but I'd put big money on it. ... and no, I don't want to wager. LOL Still though, at Vegas if there were such a thing, I'd put big money on his disappointing once again this season.

; )

+1

I was like you after the draft I went to Penn States website to see who his sacks were against and plus I watched a few games (Iowa& USC)and he really didn't impress me at all. I was wondering what was all the hype about this guy at the combine.

OBD really dropped the ball with this one, I am not gonna continue to beat the guy up. He tries, he's just not good enough at this level...he was drafted about 4-5 rds to early (not his fault).

I think this is as good a response as any I have read. It's not an attack on him as a person, he's just not any good at the pro level, and got lucky getting drafted. He has very little time left as a Bill and probably a good thing the team moves on like it did so swiftly with Trent Edwards and marshawn lynch. At some point you have to dump the dead wood.

I think this is as good a response as any I have read. It's not an attack on him as a person, he's just not any good at the pro level, and got lucky getting drafted. He has very little time left as a Bill and probably a good thing the team moves on like it did so swiftly with Trent Edwards and marshawn lynch. At some point you have to dump the dead wood.

It is, but isn't it the FO's responsibility to do their due diligence like the quy you quote said?

Short answer: Yes

This is why our team sucks, because they don't do it.

I'll even add to it, in one of Maybin's "big games" at PSU the team had like 8 or 10 sacks, ... kinda like "everyone's a winner."

Our FO doesn't know it's mouth from its sphincter.

It is, but isn't wasn't it the FO's responsibility to do their due diligence like the quy you quote said?

Short answer: Yes

This is why our team sucks, because they don't didn't do it.

I'll even add to it, in one of Maybin's "big games" at PSU the team had like 8 or 10 sacks, ... kinda like "everyone's a winner."

Our FO doesn't didn't know it's mouth from its sphincter.

Fixed. Agreed with the statement when referring to the FO that drafted Maybin.

Since Nix/Whaley took over there have been a number of (much needed) changes in the scouting department. I dont think you'll ever see Nix draft a player like Maybin. I know Buddy was "around" as a consultant as the time, but I doubt he had much input on that one.

Maybin is the poster child for why the Bills only win 4-7 games/year. Misses like this in our drafts over the last bunch of years have crippled us. This year, if Spiller, Troup and Carrington do not look like guys the Bills can rely on for the next 5-10 years - 2010 will be another bad draft year despite the later round success.

Geeze, every time I hear Maybin, I think Orapko . . .

When I hear Whitner, I think Ngata . . . it goes on & on

McGahee . . .

Lynch . . .

Just think how good we'd be if we had hit on 50% of these choices!!!

Oh well. Water under the bridge, right? But 2 of the 3 from last year - Spiller, Troup and Carrington need to come thru this year. The 2011 class needs to do the same, led by Dareus.

I like Buddy & Chan, but if the top 3 picks from the last 2 drafts do not result in 4 solid Bills players for the forseeable future, Buddy will need to go!

=======

By the way. There have been other topics about the worst thing thing that has happened to the Bills or the top 5 bad things . . . there's only one answer . . . the black cloud formed when Polian left. Everything else was tolerable compared to that.