Before paying the rookies, Bills might have ~$50 Million in cap r

Scrappy

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The numbers I've seen are 96mil for the Bills- which puts us at 22nd, meaning 10 teams have more money to spend - the Bills have 9 free agents with only Denver having less at 7- when you look at both numbers and the Bills are probably in the top 5 for being in great shape for free agency- maybe only behind Tampa Bay who had a payroll of 60mil and 13 free agents.

Looks like we can use $120M as the cap figure

The Panthers, Kansas City Chiefs, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Cleveland Browns, Buffalo Bills, and Indianapolis Colts are the furthest off — though we can take the Colts off that list based purely on whatever they wind up doing with Peyton Manning

There is no reason to believe that the Bills will be out of the running on whatever FAs they set their sights on. Now we just have to hope that they have a VERY good plan in place and are ready to jump in feet first. Once the signing period opens up we should see significant moves by the Bills.

Anyone remember/know where the floor (on spending) will be based on a $120M cap?

edit

Here is some info on the floor...

The guaranteed spend forces every team to put up more than 90 percent of the salary cap in cash each season. A couple of weeks ago, the owners talked about having the guaranteed spend number at close to 100 percent of the salary cap, according to sources. That number and percentage could still be adjusted.

So, if the Yahoo salary figures are correct the Bills will have to add significant payroll (don't forget the rookie portion).

link

The cap limit isn't that important to the Bills, the cap minimum is the more significant number for Buffalo.

90% off $120M would put it at $108M, we'll see what the final agreement looks like.

One interesting note in the ESPN article I linked above...the cowpukes will have to cut salary and their LT is a FA. I didn't think that there was any way they would let him go, and still really don't, but they will need to dump some salary to sign Free and their draft picks.

The cap limit isn't that important to the Bills, the cap minimum is the more significant number for Buffalo.

Agreed, I thought that it was going to be near 100% or just under as I understood it. I know you keep stressing the same point (several times), so can you please come up with what you feel the "Cap Minimum" will be ?? That would be more constructive then simply kicking out some random information, thanks.

Edited by Scrappy

Agreed, I thought that it was going to be near 100% or just under as I understood it. I know you keep stressing the same point (several times), so can you please come up with what you feel the "Cap Minimum" will be ?? That would be more constructive then simply kicking out some random information, thanks.

ALL the reports have been that the cap floor will be 90-95% of the cap ceiling.

Beerball's number of $108 million would be at the low end, IMO because it's based on a cap of $120 million at 90%.

I think it'll be around that but possibly higher.

Looks like we can use $120M as the cap figure

There is no reason to believe that the Bills will be out of the running on whatever FAs they set their sights on. Now we just have to hope that they have a VERY good plan in place and are ready to jump in feet first. Once the signing period opens up we should see significant moves by the Bills.

Anyone remember/know where the floor (on spending) will be based on a $120M cap?

edit

Here is some info on the floor...

So, if the Yahoo salary figures are correct the Bills will have to add significant payroll (don't forget the rookie portion).

link

They will resign their own players and work on extensions for some others who have deals expiring in the next year. Nix said they want to keep their own good players. Read this write up on the 49ers plan. This is the same type plan Nix has said he will use to build the team:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/15/49ers-g-m-says-team-wont-be-major-players-in-free-agency/

Edited by purple haze

They will resign their own players and work on extensions for some others who have deals expiring in the next year. Nix said they want to keep their own good players. Read this write up on the 49ers plan. This is the same type plan Nix has said he will use to build the team:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/15/49ers-g-m-says-team-wont-be-major-players-in-free-agency/

It'll be a frenzy as the signing period probably won't be more than 2 weeks long IMO. There'll be some good talent available, but just re-signing their own and thus banking on rookies and their current roster to improve is a stretch. This 2011 season will show whether Nix' plan is working or not and eschewing free agency or signing depth free agents probably won't score many points with the fan base either.

It'll be a frenzy as the signing period probably won't be more than 2 weeks long IMO. There'll be some good talent available, but just re-signing their own and thus banking on rookies and their current roster to improve is a stretch. This 2011 season will show whether Nix' plan is working or not and eschewing free agency or signing depth free agents probably won't score many points with the fan base either.

The only frenzy at OBD during the free agency period is if Ralph's discount card didn't work at Dennys.

Edited by Scrappy

ALL the reports have been that the cap floor will be 90-95% of the cap ceiling.

Beerball's number of $108 million would be at the low end, IMO because it's based on a cap of $120 million at 90%.

I think it'll be around that but possibly higher.

i cant imagine it would be higher. at some point holding a little room under the cap helps flexibility. if you are always within 5 mil of the ceiling it ties your hands when big names come up for you. when a rookie out performs his contract you essentially always have to part ways with a star to re-up him.

The past has past, we need to focus on the now & future.

Don't you know who you're talking to? Asking Captain Hindsight to look to the future is like feeding a mogwai after midnight...you just DO NOT DO THAT!!! :ph34r:

Not sure what you are talking about, this is the first time that I can remember bringing up the minimum myself. I have read though that it is expected to be around 90-93% of the limit which is quite a bit more than it has been, which could really hurt teams like Buffalo who don't like to spend a bunch. Even more potentially hazardous to the Bills, is when they have spent money often it wasn't on players very deserving, and if they are forced to spend the money to meet the minimum, who knows how they would do that.

Not sure what you are talking about, this is the first time that I can remember bringing up the minimum myself. I have read though that it is expected to be around 90-93% of the limit which is quite a bit more than it has been, which could really hurt teams like Buffalo who don't like to spend a bunch. Even more potentially hazardous to the Bills, is when they have spent money often it wasn't on players very deserving, and if they are forced to spend the money to meet the minimum, who knows how they would do that.

Buff from what I remember normally lands in the mid 80s, or higher. Were talking like an extra 5M on the thriftiest years, spread over a large roster it's negligible

:censored: Another raise for Kelsay!!!!!!

That's why he got the last big one. They had to put the money someplace.

Frankly, quite a few average players are going to get a significant increase in pay and this isn't just The Bills I'm talking about - it's across the League.

The Bills will have enough cash to sign whomever they really want from their own FAs, and plenty to target the holes in the rest of the roster.

Here's to hoping the end result will look more like Heluva Good NY State extra sharp cheddar than a block of Jarlsberg.