The Sabres are casting a long shadow

Scrappy

But how does he pay for the new stadium and expensive coaches and free agents? You also assume $1B is all that it takes to buy the Bills, like there is a price tag on the franchise. Don't forget he'd be bidding against LA interests with deep pockets.

PTR

It's not like if he buys the Bills that he can't make a profit or income on it. I also think that the team can be had for $800 Million all cash & I was assuming $200 Million in operating costs.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over $1B to buy the Bills. No doubt TP would have to outbid AEG or Rosky. Then the NFL would likely insist TP get a new stadium built within a few years. That's another billion-plus. Then' there is over paying for free agents, coaches and scouts. And will Bills fans be willing to pay closer to the NFL average for tickets? Don't kid yourself. Pegula could easily spend 75% of his net worth on the Bills.

PTR

why would the NFL "insist" that he build a new stadium? i have never heard of this mindset or practice done in the NFL.. it would be his team , sink or swim.

Terry Pegula is a Godsend! What more do you want in an owner?

If the team he creates wins the CUP, and I believe it will, he won't

stop until it does! He'll be a GOD in Buffalo!

BUFFALO will be known as a Hockey Town, and sadly the BILLS will suffer.

Because of Terry Pegula, for the first time in my Buffalo sports life,

I'm more excited about the SABRES than the BILLS.

Because their chance at winning a Championship, is more likely than the Bills

at this time. We're starving for a Championship team, and the SABRES are going

to be that team! I'm backing the Bills til death do us part, and hopefully their

future has a Championship in it! But the Sabres are much closer! GO BUFFALO!

why would the NFL "insist" that he build a new stadium? i have never heard of this mindset or practice done in the NFL.. it would be his team , sink or swim.

It's obvious that some people will say or do anything to prove their allegiance to Ralph.

Terry Pegula is a Godsend! What more do you want in an owner?

If the team he creates wins the CUP, and I believe it will, he won't

stop until it does! He'll be a GOD in Buffalo!

BUFFALO will be known as a Hockey Town, and sadly the BILLS will suffer.

Because of Terry Pegula, for the first time in my Buffalo sports life,

I'm more excited about the SABRES than the BILLS.

Because their chance at winning a Championship, is more likely than the Bills

at this time. We're starving for a Championship team, and the SABRES are going

to be that team! I'm backing the Bills til death do us part, and hopefully their

future has a Championship in it! But the Sabres are much closer! GO BUFFALO!

It's funny to think the Sabres actually have a cash owner who is rock solid & wants championships, my God is this really happening is all I keep asking. Ralph is the exact opposite type of owner & it's going to really show up this season, mark my words.

Edited by Scrappy

It's not like if he buys the Bills that he can't make a profit or income on it. I also think that the team can be had for $800 Million all cash & I was assuming $200 Million in operating costs.

If no one else was bidding for the Bills then I'd agree $800M would be enough. With at least one, if not two L.A. interests, and maybe one from Canada in the mix? Good luck for anything less than $1.2B.

PTR

It's obvious that some people will say or do anything to prove their allegiance to Ralph.

It's funny to think the Sabres actually have a cash owner who is rock solid & wants championships, my God is this really happening is all I keep asking. Ralph is the exact opposite type of owner & it's going to really show up this season, mark my words.

i hope you are wrong about this season, but your point about ralph is well taken. i feel the same way and would submit i have seen it all from ralph over the entire existence of the franchise. watching pegula over the course of the past few months just really put into perspective of how ralph has screwed around with the franchise over the years in the name of dollars. i am as capitalistic as the next guy, but his actions over the past 50 years are mind-numbing. sure it is great he kept the team here, etc etc.. (its tiresome talking about it), but his commitment to winning is, and was not there. as i have maintained , if he doesnt like his situation here, as an NFL owner, sell the G-D team!.. QUIT BITCHING ABOUT MARKET SIZE, ETC..but no.. why would he? must be that he is doing well .. invest 50 grand in 1960, turn it into 750 mill.. nice..

Edited by dwight in philly

i hope you are wrong about this season, but your point about ralph is well taken. i feel the same way and would submit i have seen it all from ralph over the entire existence of the franchise. watching pegula over the course of the past few months just really put into perspective of how ralph has screwed around with the franchise over the years in the name of dollars. i am as capitalistic as the next guy, but his actions over the past 50 years are mind-numbing. sure it is great he kept the team here, etc etc.. (its tiresome talking about it), but his commitment to winning is, and was not there. as i have maintained , if he doesnt like his situation here, as an NFL owner, sell the G-D team!.. QUIT BITCHING ABOUT MARKET SIZE, ETC..but no.. why would he? must be that he is doing well .. invest 50 grand in 1960, turn it into 750 mill.. nice..

See the stuff I wrote about Golisano and how well the Sabres did under his caretaker ownership. And Pegs has the advantage of inheriting a top coach. Let's hope he puts all the pieces together for a championship team.

See the stuff I wrote about Golisano and how well the Sabres did under his caretaker ownership. And Pegs has the advantage of inheriting a top coach. Let's hope he puts all the pieces together for a championship team.

totally agree!.. as how it applies to ralph, reference lou saban and chuck knox, somehow, the "wheels fell off" with those two.. how about bill polian? yea, let him walk ralph!.. but hey, you got 9 mill from toronto, who cares about giving up home field advantage? .. makes my blood boil..

True, owning a NFL franchise is a good investment...but, the only negative is the Bills don't pull as much as the big markets! However, they do make a profit--just not as big!

totally agree!.. as how it applies to ralph, reference lou saban and chuck knox, somehow, the "wheels fell off" with those two.. how about bill polian? yea, let him walk ralph!.. but hey, you got 9 mill from toronto, who cares about giving up home field advantage? .. makes my blood boil..

Sadly, I'm not trying to make you upset...but, to show you...the reason Polian got let go/fired by Ralph because of indiferences...and building the longevity of this franchise relies on Southern Ontario/T.O....due to the fact Souther Ontario has more money and people now...than, WNY! :0/

That small-market speech made me really angry & was a complete copout as to the real problem. The Bills have been a poorly run business for over 15 years now, it just now is starting to sink in that until Ralph moves on, we're going nowhere fast. For the record it was $25,000 in 1960, not $50,000, so he did even better (LOL).

Terry Pegula has sent a shadow that covers OP / the Bills that will be difficult to get out from under. It actually shows that people who want to field talent & love their team pay to bring in it in. I am really saddened by how the Bills have went down hill the past ten years & feel the time to call out Ralph is right now.

Step up & make the last years of your life something to remember, open your wallet not your ~century old mouth. If you can't handle the payment, step away & sell it to a local that can.

Hopefully he can buy the Bills too and then can cast a long shadow over the league.

Terry Pegula has sent a shadow that covers OP / the Bills that will be difficult to get out from under. It actually shows that people who want to field talent & love their team pay to bring in it in. I am really saddened by how the Bills have went down hill the past ten years & feel the time to call out Ralph is right now.

Step up & make the last years of your life something to remember, open your wallet not your ~century old mouth. If you can't handle the payment, step away & sell it to a local that can.

Let us know when all of Buffalo's "local Billionaires" start lining up. :wallbash:

Just to clarify, Ralph is not generally cheap. His problem is that he doesn't value good management.

He thinks he knows best how to run a team so he wants no part of the type of coaching and front office personnel that are going to tell him otherwise. By now, everyone in the NFL knows he's a meddler who is out of touch with what it takes to win in the NFL(and always has been) so even when he finally got desperate and entertained hiring his first proven head coach in 30 years, he couldn't get any takers.

When he is not winning, he is impetuous and unpredictable with his money in terms of signing or retaining personnel. When he is getting results he has proven to be a big spender.

Doesn't really change the premise of your post, but it's not about money, it's about being a good steward for the product on the field, which he is not.

You all can bash Ralph Wilson all you want to, but the Buffalo Bills are STILL in WNY. He could have sold the team and it could have moved to LA or Toronto, but did it? NO. No matter how bad the team has gone since the 1990s, we still have a team to B word about, and for that I am grateful. I can wait for the new ownership to get us back to where we once were and to win a Super Bowl, but I'm not going to jump on the bash Ralph Wilson bandwagon.

Just to clarify, Ralph is not generally cheap. His problem is that he doesn't value good management.

He thinks he knows best how to run a team so he wants no part of the type of coaching and front office personnel that are going to tell him otherwise. By now, everyone in the NFL knows he's a meddler who is out of touch with what it takes to win in the NFL(and always has been) so even when he finally got desperate and entertained hiring his first proven head coach in 30 years, he couldn't get any takers.

When he is not winning, he is impetuous and unpredictable with his money in terms of signing or retaining personnel. When he is getting results he has proven to be a big spender.

Doesn't really change the premise of your post, but it's not about money, it's about being a good steward for the product on the field, which he is not.

Awesome post. I agree with your sentiments regarding Ralph. God bless him, but time and the way the game is played have passed him by. Even when things were good, he got into a pissing contest w/ the guy who built the 2nd winningest(sp) team of the 1990s.

Awesome post. I agree with your sentiments regarding Ralph. God bless him, but time and the way the game is played have passed him by. Even when things were good, he got into a pissing contest w/ the guy who built the 2nd winningest(sp) team of the 1990s.

Don't upstage the guy with the name on the door mentality, which has perversed the team for decades.

Edited by Scrappy

If no one else was bidding for the Bills then I'd agree $800M would be enough. With at least one, if not two L.A. interests, and maybe one from Canada in the mix? Good luck for anything less than $1.2B.

PTR

Can't agree with you here my robotic friend. With attendance down overall for the league and all the bad feelings about this current lockout situation I can't see a price like you suggest. I'd be willing to bet you wings and beer on a $1.00B over/under (me taking the under) :)

Can't agree with you here my robotic friend. With attendance down overall for the league and all the bad feelings about this current lockout situation I can't see a price like you suggest. I'd be willing to bet you wings and beer on a $1.00B over/under (me taking the under) :)

We shall see, my friend. All I have to say are three words: supply and demand.

PTR

• 2 weeks later...